Bartering With Shops

stevet1992
stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
edited January 2009 in MTB general
ok im looking at getting a new bike soon, is going to be a halfords one im afraid :( but how much should i be looking to barter with them? without them going pfff this guys taking the mick

the bike im looking at is £650 so is 10% sensible?

i dont mind what it is whether its money or accessories would prefer to get some free stuff thrown in :P

also how much have you managed to have knocked off/ thrown in
On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders

Comments

• Sometimes you can always have a little bit of a haggle with LBS but I don't think you would get anywhere with Halfords to be honest... I may be wrong but those large chain stores are stringent on their prices... unfortunately!
  • MRadd
    MRadd Posts: 205
    I work in a LBS and i have a little bit of advice for you.

Firstly, please do haggle/bartar with us! But, don't take the piss. We had a guy today who wanted 2 £3500+ bikes.... for only £5000. We didn't take that particularily seriously. But still, we smiled and did come to an agreement.

Second, look up a price on the net first. But please, don't just come in with the best price you've found, not expecting us to actually phone the shop you've seen it cheaper in, to find they haven't got it and then be disappointed when we don't offer you the deal.

Thirdly, We will match the big chains. Evans, Leisure Lakes, Chain Reaction... etc. Try us. We had a guy the other day asking us to price match some forks for him. Turned out we were actually cheaper anyway!

So there you go. LBS don't bite! We will always offer you great service. Yes, we may cock up occasionally. We're only human.
    : "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :
  • I have found my 2 Lbs very good when it comes to a haggle/deal. 1 couldnt help on price of a cannondale but threw in a £45 helmet and a rear light. 2 couldnt match the accessories(£75worth) from Evans so gave me 5% off the price of a Gary Fisher and I still get the personal service, advice and friendly pi$$ take now and again. try your lbs, if its this ride to work scheme thingy you have in England, dont some of the tinternet retailers do this too? sure I have seen something advertised in the mags... bit ignorant on this one
  • I just bought a Boardman Team 08 from Halfords in the cycle 2 work scheme, I only had £700 to spend and told the guy I also wanted a car rack as well. Now the bike was £700 and the rack was £50 when I asked what he could do he said he would give me 10% off the lot making my saving £75 giving me £25 left over so I bought the missus a helmet for £30 and got him to throw in a set of DMR V8 pedals all for my £700 voucher. So in my opinion yes haggle.

Cheers Kev.
    Do or do not there is no try!

Boardman Team 08
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevinkevil ... 440283935/
  • I bought a new bike for my daughter at xmas.I checked the prices out online,I walked into the shop asked if they could match it and they said yes,straight away.
    It probably helps that I buy,stuff from them time to time,but I think they are all willing to try to please.
    As much as I use the likes of Wiggle and Merlin,it did feel quite nice to use a real bike shop too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    stevet1992 wrote:
    ok im looking at getting a new bike soon but how much should i be looking to barter with them?
    The art of bartering seems to have died a death in bike shops but most of them will give you a 10% discount on any accessories you buy at the time. If there's nothing you need or want, ask for three years free servicing.
    I checked the prices out online,I walked into the shop asked if they could match it and they said yes,straight away.
    Still amazes me how many high steet shops are willing to match online prices. I bought some headphones the other week from the local Sony shop - they were 40% more the online price but the shop didn't hesitate to match it. Makes you wonder sometimes if they're just trying it on.
  • djvagabon
    djvagabon Posts: 262
    My lbs will match any offer you find on the net. If you are buyng parts then they will fit them aswell. Bonus.
  • MRadd wrote:
    Try us. We had a guy the other day asking us to price match some forks for him. Turned out we were actually cheaper anyway!

mint... i hope you charged him the price match price lol.. and made a few extra quid...

i just hope people like that come back when they see you were cheaper already...
  • My lbs will match any offer you find on the net. If you are buyng parts then they will fit them aswell. Bonus.

that's a good deal for you, but whoever is running that shop is stupid and won't be in business much longer

for LBS to go up against large on-line retailers (who buy in bulk and have lower overheads) is insane, and to then fit parts for "free" (which actually costs the LBS money in terms of workshop time i.e. mechanics don't work for free) is just a "slow financial death".....
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • Halfords will barter with you, go for it you wont lose anything by trying. My sister saw a bike rack in there which she had seen on sale a few months earlier but was back up to the normal price, she got it for the sale price just by asking straight out - they didn't bat an eye lid, they just agreed to the lower price straight away!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Everybody will respond to a bit of haggling.

I know someone's said not to do so, but making a ridiculously low pitch first is the way to go. You WILL get laughed at to start with, but by doing this you give both yourself and the vendor room to manouver.

Say a bike is on sale at £1000, reduced from £1150. Immediately, I'd offer the salesman £750. He then laughs me out of town, so i say, well what's the best that you can do? To which he'll reply, "£1000, like it says." The I'll up the pitch and offer him £850.

Now if he's a good salesman, he'll meet me half-way - say £900 or £950. In which case result. If he won't I'll shake my head and say well, I'm sure I can get a better deal elsewhere and make to walk. He MIGHT try to call me back in which case I've got him and I'll possibly get a deal.

If he doesn't, well - I've not lost anything, the money's still in my pocket and he's lost a sale.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    If you are going to haggle you MUST be prepared to walk away if they won't budge on the price. Otherwise you just paid the full price and looked a fool at the same time.

Dave Hill has got the right idea.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • dave_hill wrote:
    I know someone's said not to do so, but making a ridiculously low pitch first is the way to go
    Not so sure about "ridiculous low" initial offers, yes you can wiggle afterwards. But ultimately you need to be taken seriously 1st..
    Keep it sensible and friendly, and have a realistic figure in mind.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    i got my bike in hafords for £250 less than the tagged price because i pointed it out it was ex display and therefore 2nd hand, and the last one left. I also managed to get a waterproof jacket, some gloves, a few inner tubes, a pump and various other little bits and pieces.

the total cost should have been around £800 but i got the lot for just under £500.

a lot of smaller bike shops cant afford to price match so dont get all huffy when they dont. the bigger shops can bend a little, but the guys at halfords dont give a rats chuff about the store and will gladly knock the price down and give you silly bargains because they hate the place.
  • off-one
    off-one Posts: 155
    You can usually get some free stuff thrown in at Halfords.
    Hell I even managed to get a pair of V8's for free at Je James ,when I bought my Unit.Sounds like nowt, but anyone who knows them knows this is an achievement.
  • MRadd
    MRadd Posts: 205
    MRadd wrote:
    Try us. We had a guy the other day asking us to price match some forks for him. Turned out we were actually cheaper anyway!

mint... i hope you charged him the price match price lol.. and made a few extra quid...

i just hope people like that come back when they see you were cheaper already...

I was very tempted!
    : "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :