A splah oof colour - is ot ok?

jellikins
jellikins Posts: 153
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Decided mt 08 Trek 5.2 was a bit too black and white so have added some colour.

Not sure if it works, any thoughts please?

img0056ap3.th.jpg[/img]

Comments

• bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    Although i like red and black, the white stripey things make it look a bit too busy.
    Nice bike though. :)
  • marusches
    marusches Posts: 129
    i like it , anything to change it from standard in my opinion is good too many bikes looking the same
    must admit though from the thumbnail it looks a bit specialized
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    looks alright you could get some coloured Hudz if you want more colour coding :wink:
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I like. 8)

If you've got money to burn...TIMEBOTC250_1_Zoom.jpg :twisted:
  • jellikins
    el87fa.jpg
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    looks nice that! - I like it!

look better with silver wheels imo - but that would be a rather more expensive upgrade than a bit of bar tape and a set of PR3s!!
  • its great, but i'm praying the kit you wear matches.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    It's okay - was thinking of red tape on my 1.7 (as the white is looking pretty grubby now).

Would look better if there wasn't a gap in your tape around the hoods too.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • I like it, nice bike. :)
    It's not the size of dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.
  • jellikins
    Yeah, I noticed that gap in the hoods tape this evening, a re-do job for sunday!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Trinny and susannah do cycling !
    A bike is for riding - not a fashion statement.
    6288 Posts: 131
    Looks fine to me ... if you wera red kit ...

thats what's good about black/white/silver bikes ... you can adapt it easily to match kit or cure boredom ...

and to the last poster ... you don't send £2k on a bike for it to look crap ... styling is half the battle with road bikes/kit ...
  • It does look very Specialized. But whats wrong with that :)
    Looks good
    I love the smell of carbon in the morning
  • nice...looks very good.
    but yeah.....road bikes are things of beauty so there is nothing wrong with improving the look of your bike. As long as you ride it and don't spend all your time gazing at it!

I have a 5.1 madone and want to get an ultegra sl chainset cos it matches the lovely graphite colour of the bike (the standard ultegra crank is a bit of an eyesore on my bike)

fulcrum racing zero wheels....Mmmmmmm
    pain is temporary..... but it does hurt!
  • Got red and white kit from sponsors for charity ride we are doing, so will look ok.

Bike doing Raid Pyranees in June, so will get used!

Red Bontarger Race Light Bottle Cages to finish off I think.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    cougie wrote:
    Trinny and susannah do cycling !
    A bike is for riding - not a fashion statement.

I completely agree - but unfortunately, I think the weight of evidence on here suggests otherwise. While there's no law against anyone colour-coding their bike, I still read threads like these in utter disbelief...

sorry.
  • :o miserable olg gi*s!! lol
  • sorry , should have read old gi*s!

seriously though, black and white just gets a bit boring after a while. Its the winter, too long and we have to tinker!
  • Whats wrong with tarting a bicycle up a little? People do it with everything else. Cars, motorcycles, skateboards blah blah blah.

You read threads like this in utter disbelief? Why? Are you frrom a different planet where the notion of personalizing something has yet to catch on?
    Strange statement to make.
  • softlad
    The-Dude wrote:
    You read threads like this in utter disbelief? Why? Are you frrom a different planet where the notion of personalizing something has yet to catch on? .

Sounds like it, doesn't it. I've just never been interested in having tyres that match my bar tape, or a bottle cage that matches my socks. Hope I didn't upset you...
  • gkerr4
    softlad wrote:
    The-Dude wrote:
    You read threads like this in utter disbelief? Why? Are you frrom a different planet where the notion of personalizing something has yet to catch on? .

Sounds like it, doesn't it. I've just never been interested in having tyres that match my bar tape, or a bottle cage that matches my socks. Hope I didn't upset you...

do you not take pride in any of your possessions?

seriously - pride of ownership is as much of the 'cycling' experience as pain and suffering on a long hilly ride.

Same for (as mentioned) my motorbikes and cars too - always immaculate, well maintained and looked after because I worked hard for them and I am proud of them.
  • softlad
    gkerr4 wrote:
    do you not take pride in any of your possessions?

seriously - pride of ownership is as much of the 'cycling' experience as pain and suffering on a long hilly ride.

Same for (as mentioned) my motorbikes and cars too - always immaculate, well maintained and looked after because I worked hard for them and I am proud of them

so because I don't have my bar tape colour-matched with my sidewalls, I don't have any pride in my kit..?
  • gkerr4
    well, yeah in a way.

it sounds like you don't really care about your kit either way...
  • softlad
    edited February 2009
    gkerr4 wrote:
    well, yeah in a way.

it sounds like you don't really care about your kit either way...

I can only assume you are kidding.....nice one..for a moment I thought you were being serious... ;)
  • In fairness, I did ask for opinions and not just validation, so all views welcome.

I don't get the view that its fashion on wheels, but I do agree that bikes are for riding the snot out of too.

The major manufacturers (in fact all manufacturers) spend millions on design and looks and this is a big part of why many riders buy a specific bike. Because the reality is, there is often very little to choose between bikes with similar specs.

Its also good fun tinkering with your bike, particularly in the middle of winter when all I seem to do is spend hours on the turbo dreaming of warm summer evenings and weekends!

My TREK is a great bike, but wqas just a bit bored of black and white so thought I would have a play. I do think its a bit more "stand out" and you either like it or not I suppose. Fairly minimal cost though and not lost either way.
  • You didn't upset me at all. I just found your statement a little OTT. I just didn't get why you are in such disbelief that people might actually care about how their bike looks as well as rides. If this were such an unbelievable thing then most bikes, and anything for that matter would all be simply black or white with a name stuck on the side.
    It would lead one to believe that you're just so much into your riding that the look of the bike means nothing and that those who concern themselves with such trivial things obviously aren't as serious and commited to the actual riding as you are. They obviously just want something to pose around on. Those darn wannabes and their fancy looking bikes.lol
    I'd hate to see the decor in your house :P
  • softlad
    The-Dude wrote:
    It would lead one to believe that you're just so much into your riding that the look of the bike means nothing and that those who concern themselves with such trivial things obviously aren't as serious and commited to the actual riding as you are. They obviously just want something to pose around on. Those darn wannabes and their fancy looking bikes.lol
    I'd hate to see the decor in your house :P

hmm - did someone mention 'OTT'..??

Your first sentence is correct in as much as a bicycle's looks do not really interest me as much as its functionality. I enjoy looking at people's bikes to see what - if any - mods they have made to improve the bike's 'real world' performance - not just its superficial appearance. With more and more people going the 'off the peg' route, that seems to be happening less..

The rest of your post seems to have descended into a pit of a pi55 take, so doesn't really move the debate on very much unfortunately...
  • Well i suppose it exposes your original comments for what they were. Condescending. The guys bike looks nice. Why not just say that. Or if you don't think that, then don't comment at all.
    If he likes the look of his bike and it encourages him to ride it more often, then in a way that is improving his performance if not the bikes performance by mechanical mods. So he benefits more as a result of him liking his bike. You could have the most modded bike in the world. It aint gonna do you any good if you don't enjoy wheeling it out of the garage.
    Your original comments just made it seem like anyone who bothers with cosmetic things on their bikes obviously isn't as serious about riding bikes as someone who isn't as concerned with such things, like yourself. One isn't more superior than the other. Different people like different things. If you don't care how your bike looks, that's cool and the gang. Other people do though. It doesn't make them any less serious about what they do.
    Your other comment about bars and sidewalls being matched, again condescending. The guy simply put a little colour to his bike. I doubt he's gonna run out and buy matching socks and beanie hat.
  • softlad
    You seem to have a gift for 'over-interpretation'. I'm sure jellikins realises that no personal offence was intended and that it was nothing more than an opinion - I never expected anyone to write a psychology thesis on it.

Incidentally, he doesn't seem nearly as offended as you...
  • gkerr4
    The-Dude wrote:

that's the vibe i got - I was being serious

sorry.

I love cycling - i love the exercise, the way it makes me feel out on the bike and the freedom it offers.
    I am a seld-confessed "serial upgrader" and I select parts which are well made, which function well and which offer a high performance but also that compliment each other aesthetically. The latter takes a level peg with the function in my mind - i.e. I won't buy anything unless it looks the part and fits with the aesthetic of the bike I am building or completing.