I Dont Like my New Bike !

Bike123
Bike123 Posts: 12
edited February 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi Folks, I just recently decided to buy a decent bike but I have probably made a mistake. I got the GT Avalanche 1.0 2008. I bought the bike 6 weeks ago after reading reviews it was about the best £400-£500 bike. However I have only ridden it about 10 miles as I just dont feel comfortable with it, in hindsight I should have read less and tried more bikes. It feels too cramped, the bars seem too close, I prefer riding my old Raleigh Max Aluminium ar** up head down bike. I have tried lowering bars, pushing seat back etc but it still feels wrong. I am probably going to Ebay the bike (Lose Money) and would like advice on an alternative, it looks like a hybrid might be an option but the problem is I am addicted to wheelies and most of them have 700c wheels. I am 6ft 1" and have the L Frame (19.5"). I ride only Road / Cycle Track.

1. What would be a good option for £400 ish?
2. Are there Hardtail's with roomier geometry?
3. Would I damage a Hybrid's wheels by wheelying a lot?
4. Are hybrids with 26" Wheels roomier?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Well as you said, trying more bikes is always a good idea. This doesn't take away from the avalance 1.0 being a great bike for the money!

there are a few things you can try to get the bike better.

You can fit a longer stem and/or get a layback seatpost to strech you out a bit.. Doing this will affect the handling so think carefully about which route you want to take.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Mattmanic
    Mattmanic Posts: 234
    Before you get a new bike you could try a longer stem. I have an unused 130mm one which is a good bit longer than your current one.

If you want it, Pm me.
    Paypal fee calculator - http://www.rolbe.com/ppcalc.htm

A useful tool...
  • Bike123
    I think the bike has a 110mm stem already. I have a few 130mm stems, flat bars and set back seat posts in my Ebay watched items but wasn't sure if they were worth buying, Would it make much difference?
  • The lay back seatpost will make a difference, you'll have more weight on the back wheel so it'll be easier to do wheelies!!

Take it back to the shop you bought it from and ask if they'll swap the stem for you, if the one on the bike is in good condition, there may only be a negligible fee.
  • are you selling it, if so how much for cash?
    The New Guy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are used to a stretched out, steepr bike then the Avalanche would feel different. Is worth changing the seatpost and stem, but it will alter handling and you may find you are sat too far behind the bottom bracket.

For roads and paths I'd be looking at a much lighter bike like a Giant FCR. They are not for stunts though.
  • Bike123
    Been Looking around at an alternative and the category "Urban Bike " looks more my bag

Cannondale Bad Boy @ £399 looks good

Is there any alternatives to this bike?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/bad-boy-2008-hybrid-bike-ec000107?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Go back to the shop see if they sort it out and if not
    will they do a part exchange on it!
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    edited January 2009
    double post
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    Bike123 wrote:
    Been Looking around at an alternative and the category "Urban Bike " looks more my bag

Cannondale Bad Boy @ £399 looks good

Is there any alternatives to this bike?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/bad-boy-2008-hybrid-bike-ec000107?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

yes, boiling your own face.

hybrid bikes are for incontinent and insane old ladies with 34 cats and a tartan shopping trolley. try a longer stem, flat bars, different seat heights etc. you will find a combination of these that will suit you. dont be so quick to throw the bike away.
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    I have a Kona Dew Deluxe as my commuter, and it's pretty good I have to say. 700 wheels though, and skinny tyres so may be more roady than you want.
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    How long have you been biking and how often?
  • gettricky
    gettricky Posts: 103
    When I got my bike I felt the same (a bit short) but even pushing the seat back on the rails as far as it would go made a massive difference, so didn't even need a leaning seat post. Do that first as it doesn't involve spending any money.

Then as already recomended get yourself a longer stem, although depending on your riding, wouldn't go too far over 80mm.
    ---

Pitch Pro 2009
  • Bike123
    I Bike just for exercise, 30 mins each day I guess. But I Love wheelying. I reckon I can do 30m with lots more to come. The GT is a great bike, its just the geometry of MTB's has changed over the years and it feels too compact and different to older bikes. I have the seat right back on the rails allready and my Raleigh still feels twice as roomy. I measured the stem and its 110mm already. I guess it would be more sensible to try the 130mm stem and flat bars before I decide. Thanks for the all comments.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I fitted a 130mm stem last week as I sometimes feel cramped especially when climbing and it appears to of worked tbh.
  • Would it be an idea to flip the stem so instead of having a slight rise it would actually have a negative angle, is that done as a standard practice or are they un-flippable?
  • -liam-
    Yeah, you can do that. Would make your bars very low.
  • -liam-
    This chap says that you can do exactly that and he seems to know what he is on about lol !

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/2454 ... s-stem.htm
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Carrera Banshee = £450

I rest my case, has to be the best value for money full susser at the mo! :)
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Bike123 wrote:
    Hi Folks, I just recently decided to buy a decent bike but I have probably made a mistake. I got the GT Avalanche 1.0 2008. I bought the bike 6 weeks ago after reading reviews it was about the best £400-£500 bike. However I have only ridden it about 10 miles as I just dont feel comfortable with it, in hindsight I should have read less and tried more bikes. It feels too cramped, the bars seem too close, I prefer riding my old Raleigh Max Aluminium ar** up head down bike. I have tried lowering bars, pushing seat back etc but it still feels wrong. I am probably going to Ebay the bike (Lose Money) and would like advice on an alternative, it looks like a hybrid might be an option but the problem is I am addicted to wheelies and most of them have 700c wheels. I am 6ft 1" and have the L Frame (19.5"). I ride only Road / Cycle Track.

1. What would be a good option for £400 ish?
    2. Are there Hardtail's with roomier geometry?
    3. Would I damage a Hybrid's wheels by wheelying a lot?
    4. Are hybrids with 26" Wheels roomier?

Any advice appreciated

Hehe, I had EXACTLY the same with an '07 Avalanche 1.0. I felt too short and cramped, could barely lift the bars etc, I went out pretty much every night for a month trying for brute force myself into liking it.

In the end I stripped it down, ebayed the frame, bought a Stumpjumper frame (quite a bit longer) and it's been fantastic. Frustratingly low/mid range XC bikes are generally shorter as the riders will be more upright, higher end XC bikes are generally longer, just 20mm extra top tube can make a world of difference.

I'd probably sell it off quick if I were you, that value will rapidly drop or if you have the tools get a new frame and turn it into something else! I actually made a profit turning my Avalanche into a Stumpjumper, it covered the cost of a new set of cables and chain :)
  • missmarple wrote:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_272661_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

Carrera Banshee = £450

I rest my case, has to be the best value for money full susser at the mo! :)

I got me one of those, albeit with a better spec than listed. i got somewhere between that and the banshee x.

first thing i did was change the rear shock. its horrible.
  • Riche1
    Riche1 Posts: 87
    You're not alone, i'm in the same boat. I bought a 2009 Trek Fuel ex8 after riding nothing but hardtail Kona and I just can't get on with it. I'm not sure what it is but my old explosif just felt 10 times quicker and more nimble. The Trek is now for sale to fund a 2008 Dawg, what a waste of money huh.
  • Bike123 wrote:
    I Bike just for exercise, 30 mins each day I guess. But I Love wheelying. I reckon I can do 30m with lots more to come. The GT is a great bike, its just the geometry of MTB's has changed over the years and it feels too compact and different to older bikes. I have the seat right back on the rails allready and my Raleigh still feels twice as roomy. I measured the stem and its 110mm already. I guess it would be more sensible to try the 130mm stem and flat bars before I decide. Thanks for the all comments.
    What rise is the stem? Have you tried turning it upside down? I would try that before getting a 130mm stem as that would wreck the handling, but if you only ride on the road i suppose your not really concerned about that.