Blackburn system x8 lights

dickydulux
dickydulux Posts: 111
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi, Have spent quite some time on the forum looking at the questions and answers about lights - it seems to be a dodgy subject :wink:
Anyway here goes:

Evans have knocked off £50 from the Blackburn System X8, so now retailing at £99.99.
Has anyone any experience of these lights and would you recommend them?

For the money is there anything better for use in the woods?

Thanks
Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
th_specialized001-1.jpg

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    edited January 2009
    I used to have the X3.Thought it was good,nicely built and performance wasn`t bad compared to my old Electrons.

But,I then bought one of these.....

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/mountain_bike_lights_review_led.html

It blows all sub £300 bike specific lights away.You really have to try one,to see how good they are.Best bike gadget I`ve yet bought.

Read this too http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mte-p7-once-and-for-all
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • The Blackburn System is not very good. At full power they only through out 170lm and last a piddly 2 1 / 2 hours. To put this is perspective the little Hope single LED gives 240lm of light and will run for longer for the same light output even on recharge AA batteries and that's just a little bar mounted light.
  • off-one
    off-one Posts: 155
    I used a set for a 24/12, not bad, but technology has moved on now. They have a big heavy battery and loads of cables, my Hopes smaller more powerful, compact and cheaper.
    Que P7 and Fenix users.
  • The P7 sure is getting alot of remarks on the forum. Looked at the Dealextreme site, loads of different models to choose from. Is there a favourite for biking or is it down to personal choice: you pays your money, you get what you get?

Cheers
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • dickydulux wrote:
    The P7 sure is getting alot of remarks on the forum. Looked at the Dealextreme site, loads of different models to choose from. Is there a favourite for biking or is it down to personal choice: you pays your money, you get what you get?

Cheers

I have the standard 2 mode job which is great,but the 5 mode gives the benefit of an an additional intermediate medium setting,when you don`t need full power which extends run time,though its a 30 second battery change,if you do run out of juice.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've no experience of that particular light, but the numbers don't lie, it's puny... I can't recommend the Dealextremes too highly, one on the noggin and one on the bars and you have something that's better than almost every bike specific light I've ever seen, for under £100. They're not the cheap option, they kick the arse of most of the expensive options- they just happen to do it more cheaply.

Some people get upset about having to change batteries once an hour... Me, I consider that a bonus, if you have a light with a fixed pack and a 3 hour run time, then it's just too bad if you go for a 3 hour ride and get a puncture isn't it. But with seperate batteries, you just carry spares. I know which I'd choose.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • And batteries are only £3 each,and weigh nothing,so there is nothing to stop you taking 4 or 5 batteries out with you,if you want to ride all night.

I`m finding that I tend to cycle between the low and high modes on my 2 mode P7 and its not run out on me yet on 2hr + rides.

And if you crash and break it its only £25 for a new light.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • One of my friends has a P7 and to be honest I never thought it was that great. It only gave off about the same amount of light as my 20w halogen bulb and only lasts about 50min. Definitely not on par with even £150 lights out there never mind more expensive ones. But for £50 it is great value. I believe there is a brighter one available these days too, don't know what its run time is like though.
  • One of my friends has a P7 and to be honest I never thought it was that great. It only gave off about the same amount of light as my 20w halogen bulb and only lasts about 50min. Definitely not on par with even £150 lights out there never mind more expensive ones. But for £50 it is great value. I believe there is a brighter one available these days too, don't know what its run time is like though.

I am not sure what P7 he had but that is definiteleynot true of mine.I have first hand experience of using mine next to a USE Exposure Enduro and a Hope HID,and its as good as those.

If his only lasts 50 mins there is something wrong with it or its an older model.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4

I am not sure what P7 he had but that is definiteleynot true of mine.I have first hand experience of using mine next to a USE Exposure Enduro and a Hope HID,and its as good as those.

If his only lasts 50 mins there is something wrong with it or its an older model.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4

2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4

I am not sure what P7 he had but that is definitely not true of mine.I have first hand experience of using mine next to a USE Exposure Enduro and a Hope HID,and its as good as those.

The perfomance of the MTE SSC P7 is far superior to any £150 lights I know of such as the X8,Minewts,etc

2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Northwind
    One of my friends has a P7 and to be honest I never thought it was that great. It only gave off about the same amount of light as my 20w halogen bulb and only lasts about 50min. .

20W halogens only produce something like 120 lumens typically if memory serves, the P7 is brighter on low power! No idea what was going on there. Not typical though, I ride with mates with a joystick and with expensive hope lights, and now a set of ayups, and the 2 P7s outshine them all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    20W halogens only produce something like 120 lumens typically if memory serves, the P7 is brighter on low power! No idea what was going on there. Not typical though, I ride with mates with a joystick and with expensive hope lights, and now a set of ayups, and the 2 P7s outshine them all.

Depends on the typre of halogen bulb but you can get that from a 5W bulb. A basic Lumicycle system for under £130 with a 20W bulb give 485lm and runs for 2.2 hours. With a 35W bulb gives 830lm and runs for 1.2 hours. There also using relatively unefficient HR11 bulbs.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    the p7 output between 500 and 700 lumens (measured) and will give 900 at 4.2 volts. For 25 quid!
  • Northwind
    So, still about half the output of a pair of P7s, for more ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    So, still about half the output of a pair of P7s, for more ;)

If the actual output is “500 and 700 lumens” Then the basic lumicycle system can give off a little less light and run for over twice as long or give off more light and run a little longer. I am not saying the P7 is bad for around £40 all in its outstanding value for what it is. But try doing a 24 hour race or even a fast 3 hour ride with one and you will struggle. Even a 1.5 hour none stop ride you will struggle unless you can get away with running around and low beam. There really good for short rides or short ish rides where your willing to stop and swap batteries. But you could not honestly say it can do everything a good £150 light can do. Defiantly not what a good £400, £300 or £200 light can do. :lol:
  • supersonic
    you can get battery packs now, or make one. Basically 3 cells in parallel for over 3 hrs on max, and over 6 on low. Lighter than the lumicycle too. Easily on a par with 300 quid lamps if run two. No way would i pay 130 for a halogen lamp that is less powerful just for the sake of a battery change or cell pack!
  • Or just buy 2 P7 torches and simply switch between the 2.At 110g each its not like they are going to be heavier than a conventional light once you factor in the weight of a batttery pack.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • supersonic wrote:
    you can get battery packs now, or make one. Basically 3 cells in parallel for over 3 hrs on max, and over 6 on low. Lighter than the lumicycle too. Easily on a par with 300 quid lamps if run two. No way would i pay 130 for a halogen lamp that is less powerful just for the sake of a battery change or cell pack!

I like the sound of that Supersonic. I am a big fan of DIY lights. I could replace my old Cateye lamp units. :D
  • supersonic
    that lumicycle weighs a whopping 780g!
  • supersonic
    i think you can get drop in leds for the cateye. Have to have a look.
  • supersonic wrote:
    i think you can get drop in leds for the cateye. Have to have a look.

Thanks Supersonic I will look in to that for my Cateye lights. :D
  • supersonic
    or diy of course! Bit o' solder lol
  • I was thinking of getting two P7 and just hacking the lamp unit off. It should not be to hard and there that cheap it does not matter if I mess it all up as usual.
  • Northwind
    But try doing a 24 hour race or even a fast 3 hour ride with one and you will struggle.

Not many proper bike lights can do a 24 hour race! But torches can, by virtue of their unlimited burn time and 20 second battery change. Or, as Spidey says, have an extra light and swap. Since I got mine I've done night rides starting at 4pm (full dark) and going on til 11pm) also full dark, with full beam almost the entire time. Find me a proper light with 7 hours burn time on full power...
    Uncompromising extremist