Winter tyres

rich g
rich g Posts: 124
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Could someone recommend a good winter tyre,and the size should i have a 700x23 or 700x25.
Thanks

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Michelin Krylion Carbon

:lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    +1 for the Michelin Krylion Carbon, in a word unbeatable.
    Ademort :D
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Conti GP 4 season - 25mm - great tyres
  • larmurf
    larmurf Posts: 110
    softlad wrote:
    Conti GP 4 season - 25mm - great tyres

Just ordered 2 more from Ribble - £21.68 each including postage

As for Krylion You might as well suggest dinosaur skin
    they seem to be extinct as well and nearly as long
    Mahatma Gandhi was asked by a British journalist what he thought of Western civilisation. "I think it would be a good idea," he replied.
  • Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech - run them all year round.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    +1 Michelin Krylion Carbons.... if you can find 'em.

However, despite having a virtually trouble free run on 23c Krylion Carbons last winter, I didn't bother switching tyres for autumn winters.
    Up until Wednesday I'd gone since probably August without a puncture on the road (your turbo tyre going down on you doesn't count, no?) using a mixture of 25c GP4000 but mainly a couple of sets of 23c Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps.
    The two sets of Tricomps were my summer tyres last year so they weren't new but have stood up incredibly well and have been surefooted in the mainly wet roads.

I did like the Krylions mind. After a minor scare on a roundabout (quite literally brand new -releasing agent? - my stupidity or diesel?) they became dependable and predictable. A far nicer tyre than the Specialized Mondo Pros I'd spent the winter of 06/07 on.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Those Tricomps are nice, well I've got the Quattro ones and are supposed to be pretty slow but I've only noticed a really minimal difference and I'm still able to hit as high speed and all that with them comapred to my GP4000's.
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    +1 for GP 4 season. About £20 from probike kit
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Andy140 wrote:

That's brilliant value, might try them again if they are still that price when my tyres wear out.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Cheers, Stu
  • larmurf
    larmurf Posts: 110
    Andy140 wrote:

Your total in GBP Sterling is: £50.50

This is the price that came up for 2 700x25c GP4s from PBK
    Mahatma Gandhi was asked by a British journalist what he thought of Western civilisation. "I think it would be a good idea," he replied.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    GP 4 seasons have gone up at PBK, unfortunately - still a good price though, but not quite as good as before. Seems that they are knocking out the new 09 GP 24mm at special offer now, instead of the 4 seasons....
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I've just changed over from GP4000s to Conti Ultra Gatorskins (the wired/rigid ones) in 700x25. They feel bullet proof in comparison but are harder to get up to speed (especially on steep hills) - but once you are over 30kmh they hold their momentum well. I ended up doing my fastest ever time on a 60km loop on Friday on my first ride. Still slow but faster than before. They felt good gripwise. and are much more comfortable than my GP4000s. With the thicker tubes I changed to as well (for the 25 size) I've probably added 250 grammes to my wheel weight, but I'm happy so far. I would have bought the Michelin Kryllion Carbons in 700x25 but no one has them. I got the Conti 's from Wiggle for £14 each (spent over £50 to get the discount).

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Continental Ultragatoskins IMHO are THE winter tyre. I wont ride owt else.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • rich g
    reddragon where can i buy Krylion Carbon from i can't find anyone that has them in stock?
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    they'll be much easier to get hold of in the spring ;-)

I just moved from the non-folding version of spesh armadillos which were bomb proof but slow and lacking grip to hutchinson hard skin which have a much lower rr and seem fairly robust so far.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    rich g wrote:
    reddragon where can i buy Krylion Carbon from i can't find anyone that has them in stock?

That's the magic question :wink:

Decathlon are known to have them more often than anywhere else if you are near them.

I'm using Vittoria Rubino Pros until I can afford Krylions/places have them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rich g wrote:
    where can i buy Krylion Carbon from i can't find anyone that has them in stock?

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;p ... 93a7815a1f

Albeit that the £ crash against the Euro has not made the price anywhere near as attractive as it was in the summer ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rich g
    Ribble will send me an email when the new stock comes in the cost ts £18.95.
    So maybe wait and see.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    rich g wrote:

Decathlon in Stockport had them on the shelf yesterday.
  • i just don't like continental clinchers. find they cut easily and feel slow. though i haven't ridden the GP4000S which is apparently much better than the GP4000

the krylion carbons are pretty tough and reasonably fast. they are noticeably less supple than michelin race tyres but not bad. michelin has missed a bit of a trick not producing more of them in the 25mm size before winter
  • mwo
    mwo Posts: 57
    rich g wrote:

As somebody has already said bike24.com have some for 25 Euros, and All Terrain Cycles have a message on their front page saying they are expecting stock today. They're charging £29.98 though.
  • My 2 pennies. i can deal with a flat, I can't cope with slips. (commuter with conti 4000s of daylight bike)

So on commuter...

4seasons - at 23mm great when new but my back one always wears twice as fast as front - then 1500 miles when it's worn down a bit ...
    P%@£*%!e P%@£*%!e P%@£*%!e.

And a decent November back end slip made me try a few others.

Swapped for a Conti Sport contact 28 with a slight nobbley tread. Super comfy, weighs a tonne, but in the wet, oh my god, my back wheel is slipping from side to side - horrible. In my shed if anyone wants them.

Then tried Michelin Krylion Carbon 25s (bike 24). They slow me up compared to 4seasons but not too bad in dark winter wetness. BUT importantly I haven't had a slip or a puncture in 500 miles of wet and dark miles.

And of anyone wants the sport contacts .... you're mad