Changing from 10 to 11 speed?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited January 2009 in Workshop
If I wanted to upgrade my levers to Chorus or Record 09 which are 11 speed would I have to change the Centaur 08 mechs as well as the sprockets and chain and would I have to change the chain rings?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I think technically you would have to change everything as 11 speed is narrower than 10 speed.
    You may though get away with certain bits but it would be a trial and error trial though.
    You would definitely have to change to an 11 speed cassette and chain as the spacing for 11 speed would not work with 10
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You'd effectively need everything. Front mech, and chainset would (probably) work, and the rear mech would work with a bit of modding, but I'd say it's a waste of time doing it to centaur stuff.

Get some 09 Centaur shifters and pretend you have 11speed, or get a proper 11-speed groupset - mixing and matching is a bit of a compromise.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    You'd effectively need everything. Front mech, and chainset would (probably) work, and the rear mech would work with a bit of modding, but I'd say it's a waste of time doing it to centaur stuff.

Get some 09 Centaur shifters and pretend you have 11speed, or get a proper 11-speed groupset - mixing and matching is a bit of a compromise.

Its not the 11 speed I want, its the better shifters. Are 09 Centaur more like 08 Record/Chorus? I also prefer the new shape with the larger horns. Just didn't want to put 11 speed shifters with 10 speed gears.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862

Its not the 11 speed I want, its the better shifters. Are 09 Centaur more like 08 Record/Chorus? I also prefer the new shape with the larger horns. Just didn't want to put 11 speed shifters with 10 speed gears.

Sounds like you are after 09 Centaur shifters - same ergonomics and similar ability to dump gears as the 11-speed groups.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700

Sounds like you are after 09 Centaur shifters - same ergonomics and similar ability to dump gears as the 11-speed groups.
    And no noticeable difference to '09 Veloce... I know, I have both. '09 Veloce is the bargain of the century.
  • Yes you want Centaur '09 levers. Ergonomics are excellent. You will need new shift cables (which should come with the levers) as the outers are narrower for '09.

To upgrade to 11 speed you'd need everything except brake calipers and cranks/BB cups. Note that mixing 10 and 11 will void Campags 4 year warranty on 11s too though I wouldn't be too concerned about this.
  • Yes I got the new 2009 Veloce levers and was extremely impressed.
    You can do multiple upshifts & downshifts, just like record a few years ago.

I do like the shape of new levers better too!