www.xboxhut.co.uk - AVOID

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
My nephew searched the net for the cheapest copy of Fallout 3 for the Xbox 360, and found it on www.xboxhut.co.uk

http://xboxhut.co.uk/product_info.php?p ... 629ee81d88

-Looks genuine
-Looks like a bargain from the UK

His "copy" did arrive, but arrived as an obvious forgery and from abroad...

-In a DVD case rather than 360 case
-Won't work on UK 360
-Fake Artwork on the case sleeve
-No manual

He never read the T&Cs, but being a 16yr old he probably wouldn't have thought anything about it:
21. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, XBOXHUT.CO.UK IS PROVIDING THIS SITE AND ITS CONTENTS ON AN ‘AS IS’ BASIS AND MAKES NO (AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL) REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THIS SITE OR THE INFORMATION, CONTENT, MATERIALS OR PRODUCTS INCLUDED IN THIS SITE INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN ADDITION, XBOXHUT.CO.UK DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE INFORMATION ACCESSIBLE VIA THIS SITE IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE OR CURRENT.

Is it me or does that sound a bit dodgy?

He did pay through paypal, but it won't let him claim his money back.

I'm rather immune to far eastern scams these days, and can normally notice dodgy stuff a mile off, but my nephew was drawn in by the low price.....
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited January 2009
    Domain name:
    xboxhut.co.uk
    Registrant:
    Shane Boxer
    Registrant type:
    Unknown
    Registrant's address:
    752 Bush St
    Dallas
    TX
    US

and a quick google
    BE CAREFUL of a site WWW.XBOXHUT.CO.UK it sells games from a UK domain that turn out to be NASTY THAI COPIES when they arrive. It is a very convincing UK site. They take money from PAYPAL who won't help you when you have been ripped off. BEWARE!!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redddraggon
    I did see that, but there's still not much you can do with the owner being in the US?

...at least nothing worth doing to claim back £23...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    saying that i have just ordered a few HD DVD from a US site ..

i hope they arrive!

I is a pain how people prey on the bargain hunter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redddraggon
    I'm sure if you've paid by credit card you'll be protected if they don't turn up? Not sure about Sweden though...

The annoying thing for him is that I got the same game from Argos for £25 a couple of weeks ago, it's since gone up to £40.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    Report him to Customs & Excise, they might go and chase after him or they might just do nothing, either way it doesn't do you any harm to make the call?
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Its pretty messed up for a person to think yeah: 1. I'll make a fake website, 2. I'll scam people out of cash 3. I'll make/buy fake games and sell them on. I hate people so damn much. I hope the offender gets nail-bombed or something.
  • Report it to whoever makes the real game.
    They're always happy to shut down counterfeiters.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Crikey that site looks dodgy, their security consists on a little jpg saying `secure payments', that's it! No, tls/ ssl/ https, no 3rd party verification, nothing.

Btw, cheapest Fallout 3 on the 360 at the moment is John Lewis. 27 inc postage. Slightly more reliable, and safer, I'd hope.
    http://www.johnlewis.com/230512512/Product.aspx
  • pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    Why not email and write to this guys home address saying you and all your Muslim mates are now his sworn enemies. You will come for him any time day or night, so don't sleep too much :twisted:
    It might work, it is Texas after all. If you know what I mean. yeee haaaaaw
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Has anyone not heard of FAST, the Federation Against Software Theft? They are the guys who would be interested in forgeries, good or bad.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • I ordered from Xboxhut.co.uk thinking this site was based in the UK.

It was based in Thailand!! Had i known this i would have not brought the item.

I brought a xbox 360 game - gears of war 2.

on 21st Feb when i received it i knew it was a FAKE!

I emailed xboxhut.co.uk numerous times and they did not respond.

They responded once i mentioned reporting them to Paypal.

They offered to give me a full refund including shipping costs which costed me £5.60 if i returned the game.

I returned the game on the 31st Januaury recorderd and i am yet to recieve a email as to why i havn't recieve it.

It has been a month + still nothing.

I have reported to Paypal that this site needs to be investigated + is a CON!

I suggest anyone considering to buy a game from this site DONT!

Those who have report to Paypal!
  • kafkathedog
    kafkathedog Posts: 242
    As someone else said if it was paid via credit card then go to them and complain. if they enquire to Paypal i imagine they will cave pretty quick.

If it came from an exisiting balance or bank transfer you probably won't have much luck as paypal are pretty hopeless although they do usually favour the buyer IME