I am a cancer survivor...

BigSpecs
BigSpecs Posts: 309
edited June 2009 in The bottom bracket
...very Lance Armstrong I know (and we are all only too aware of the comments even the mention of his name provokes on here) BUT...I attended the Oncology Unit of my local hospital yesterday for my annual check up....and I was discharged!!
I have been attending for the last ten years (latterly only annually) since I suffered testicular cancer when I was 25. I was one of the lucky ones. I (only) had a seminoma, which was cured by surgery to remove the tumour and a course of radiotherapy (the joys, every night after work for a month, followed by copious vomitting, either on the way home or once I arrived home depending on my luck).
Since then I have had ten years of the occasional blood test, ultrasound and chest x-ray. In itself no hardship but each visit seemed to provoke incredible gut wrenching anxiety and obviously brought back memories of the initial diagnosis. I think there is always a fear that you are going to be told it is going to return, even now.
I feel very lucky (I now have two wonderful kids aswell as a wonderful wife) and I am very aware of how it could have all been so different.
I intend to do something special to celebrate. I am planning to do the Etape Caledonia (I have entered) later in the year and for a low mileage cyclist like me (small kids eat into your time!) that is a pretty big challenge. I am thinking of doing it for the Geoff Thomas Foundation. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime have a good one...
Col.

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    edited January 2009
    difficult to know what to say to that col - except congratulations and much respect.. ;)

got to be worth a new bike, surely..?
  • BigSpecs
    You would think...but my wife took a wrong turn and ended up in the garage last week. I am still trying to explain why there are seven bikes and a tandem in there... :oops:
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    nice one! :D
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    Over the last couple of years I seem to have heard over and over again of someone I know dying of cancer so it's great to hear of someone who's come through it. All the best.

Red Rock
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Great news - enjoy the challenge - but if a little italian gets off the front of your group - DON'T CHASE HIM DOWN - you'll end up really unpopular.

Seriously its fantastic to hear your news and good luck with the Mac Etape - with seven bikes even the Scottish weather can't win!!

Paul
  • Congratulations - great news.

Good luck on the Mac Etape.
    Ride On ...
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Col - what can I say - chapeau! That's brilliant news! All the best for your crack at the Etape Caledonia. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and all that.

I bought my dad Geoff Thomas's book for his birthday (just after Christmas), and the evening I went to wrap it, I ended up reading most of it so I'm going to buy it for myself too. And regardless of what you think of Lance Armstrong as a racing cyclist, to put it in my mate's words (who has no interest in cycling) - "give it to him, he's got balls... oh, erm..." :D
  • Mayniac
    Mayniac Posts: 174
    BigSpecs wrote:
    ..but my wife took a wrong turn and ended up in the garage last week. I am still trying to explain why there are seven bikes and a tandem in there... :oops:

... especially seeing as how bikes should be kept in the house... :wink:
    This is not 'Nam, Smokey. This is bowling. There are rules.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Thanks for posting this - just a little reminder when you think you are having a bad day / week / year, it's nothing compared to having your health in question. Glad to hear you've got the all clear. 8)
  • Fantastic. Thanks for posting your uplifting story for us and congrats. Just because you're not called Lance does n't mean we are any less inspired by your victory - awesome.

Do let us know if you do decide to do the etape for charity - I'll put a few quid in the kitty.

Have fun and get that new bike!!

David
  • Ieuanllan
    Ieuanllan Posts: 152
    Great News, congratulations, and best of luck with the Etape.

ieu
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Do let us know if you do decide to do the etape for charity - I'll put a few quid in the kitty.
    +1
    Great to hear some good news in these days of economic doom and gloom
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    Brilliant. Well done chum. When you said you were going to celebrate I thought you meant an expensive single malt. Maybe you can collect one in person after the Mac Etape (nice).
    Best of luck with it.
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • Fecking great news, Col.

:)

Well cuffed for you !

:D:D:D
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Superb Col, I'm delighted, my wife's done the 10 year all clear for Breast Cancer and this March she's agreed with her oncologist it will be the last annual check

as per another post, I'll sponsor your on the Etape Caledonia senda PM or post on this site

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • BigSpecs
    Hi Guys,

Many, many thanks for all of the kind words. It really makes you realise that there are good people out there, and lots of them.

I have got around to organising the sponsorship details. As of yesterday, I am commited (injury and illness aside ;-) to riding the Etape Caledonia for the Geoff Thomas Foundation. I am hoping to raise 500 pounds for this very worthwhile charity. If you would like to donate even a small amount, please visit:

http://www.justgiving.com/colinmoulson

and if you are interested, you can follow my progress on my blog here:

http://gtwinner.blogspot.com/

Cheers and thanks again,

Col.
  • BigSpecs
    Thanks to all those who have mailed me or given a donation. We are over the 300 pound mark and racing towards our target.

http://www.justgiving.com/colinmoulson

Many thanks again,
    Col.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Congratulations. You must be really happy. Nothing like a success story to brighten the forums.
  • Nice one Colin

Been down the same route as you, got the tattoos to prove it. Only managed 4 days on Radio before I was begging for drugs.

All the best on the Etape, hope to do the Frenchie version in the next year or so.

8) 8) 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice one mate.

Ive been in remission for seminoma for 3 years now, just got my checks up to a year apart and looking good. I had chemo ( carboplatin) instead of radiotherapy, not pleasent either. The 5 year point will be on my 40th birthday ish and i plan to do the tour of Sardinia which is a non competitive 5 day stage race/sportif held in april each year.

Good luck with the training and your event and remember we go faster 'cos we are a stone lighter. :shock:
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    That's good to hear.

The wife's now had three 'scares' for the Big C. One false alarm with good intent, in remission from the second and a third for an inoperable but thankfully slow growing and benign brain tumour.

Emotionally for me I sometimes think it would be easier if I were the patient. I find it easier to come to terms with my own mortality than that of my partner.

Bob
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Great news mate

All the best

BJB
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Hurrah! Good luck with the etape- you should breeze it after what youve been through :)
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    Just put something into your kitty. Good luck with the Etape.

Just one question though - assuming your wife doesn't ride.... a tandem??????
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    BigSpecs wrote:
    ...very Lance Armstrong I know (and we are all only too aware of the comments even the mention of his name provokes on here) BUT...I attended the Oncology Unit of my local hospital yesterday for my annual check up....and I was discharged!!
    I have been attending for the last ten years (latterly only annually) since I suffered testicular cancer when I was 25. I was one of the lucky ones. I (only) had a seminoma, which was cured by surgery to remove the tumour and a course of radiotherapy (the joys, every night after work for a month, followed by copious vomitting, either on the way home or once I arrived home depending on my luck).
    Since then I have had ten years of the occasional blood test, ultrasound and chest x-ray. In itself no hardship but each visit seemed to provoke incredible gut wrenching anxiety and obviously brought back memories of the initial diagnosis. I think there is always a fear that you are going to be told it is going to return, even now.
    I feel very lucky (I now have two wonderful kids aswell as a wonderful wife) and I am very aware of how it could have all been so different.
    Col.

Congratulations,

I went through the exact same thing in 96/97 but i had chemo. Three years ago I got the same news (effectively cured) as you and I really couldnt tell you how I felt - from memory I went outside sat down and cried.

Three years later and Ive got a beautiful little boy, another one on the way and my fantastic girlfriend who lived through it all with me...

Life is good, make everything of it....
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    Firslty, congrats on your discharge Colin and did you do the Etape? I found your thread, don't know how, but was very interested as my husband, age 42 was diagnosed with TC in Jan 2009 and is in the middle of treatment. He is a keen biker and runner but hadn't done any exercise since his diagnosis ............ until today when we went on an hour's MTB ride through the local woods and loved it :lol: .

Steve, my lovely husband, had an orchidectomy in January, 4 courses of chemo (minus the Bleomycin just like Lance) and is due to have enlarged lymph nodes removed from his neck in two weeks time and following that lymph nodes removed from his abdomen which is a more tricky operation.

He went through the chemo OK (felt sick for 10 days after each session) but lately has had two bad colds, and is now on medication for a blood clot on his lung (daily injections). Despite all this he is so upbeat and looking forward to getting back to his running and cycling which will probably be towards the end of the year now.

I promised him I'd get fit this year as he doesn't deserve a couch potato of a wife and life is too short to sit on the sofa. He's always wanted to take me on a hot, hilly MTB holiday (he's been to central America three times on organised holidays) but at the moment I'd faint just at the thought of the heat and altitude :oops:
    So, he has spurred me on to getting back to full fitness and I'll be doing the Edin to St Andrew's in two weeks time (two days before his next op). He's the best back up driver you could want - so patient, encouraging and above all always helps me not to take things too seriously :lol: .
  • Anonymous
    Woo hoo!

Threads like this make this forum worthwhile and detract from the utter sh1te that I post.

Congratulations!

Chapeau!

chapeau.jpg
  • Anonymous
    napoleond you do not post shite, I reckon you have good form on here.

Plus I like the fact that you bust down doors of scrotes at dawn and nick them.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Great news Col. How did you do on the Etape Caledonia? My wife is going through something similar just now - second time she's had cancer. We thought when she beat it first time that was it - but it came back last year - more chemo and radio - plus another op. It looks clear now and we're keeping our fingers crossed - checks every 4 months just now.

She's entered the Highland Cross this year and I've just helped her get a new bike - a Trek 7.5FX WSD (she used a Giant Cypress on the Nairhshire Challenge a couple of weeks ago and it just wasn't good enough!)

Great to hear stories of winners - and I mean real winning - well done Col

-Spider-