The cyclists tan.

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
Yes, I know, it's only January. I'm wondering I noticed that I still have my cyclist's tan line from last summer!! :D Has anyone else managed this?

Those lucky sods who go on cycling holidays in the off season or live on the equator are disqualified.
http://twitter.com/mgalex
www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    you got a tan last summer..??
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    In what year was the last summer?
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • Its far more noticable on my arms, thats all year round now.
  • well, May and June and it was light not necessarily Sun exactly. :D:D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Mine's not particularly well marked any more. There is still a definite difference between thigh and calf, but they kind of blend into each other now...
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    You bet.

For the past few years it's never left! *grins* Just gets a bit less obvious in the winter.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • I've still got a 'tan line' on my quads from where I picked up second degree burns cycling the Cambridge-York-Cambridge back in 2006 :cry:

It was windy crossing the fens so I didn't notice how strong the sun was :?
  • I have v slight tan lines left over from last year - but hope to improve them as we're off to Majorca 21-28 Feb for a training camp...
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Arms have virtually gone but still clearly visible on thigh.
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    after moving to the UK from Aus 3 years ago - mine have totally gone :(
    regards,
    dbb
  • faded a lot but definitely still there.
    On the subject of cycling tans, why have glove manufacturers seemingly stopped making them with a hole on the back of the hand? Glove spots used to be the most comedy thing of a comedy cycling tan.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Being a ginge, I only go two colours: bright white or bright red :(
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    On the subject of cycling tans, why have glove manufacturers seemingly stopped making them with a hole on the back of the hand? Glove spots used to be the most comedy thing of a comedy cycling tan.

I still have fairly strong tan lines on my thighs, not so strong on my arms, but the back of my hand tan spots are still very much in effect....Rapha crochet mitts give one of the best joke hand tans available. My wife keeps asking what club I went to last night, she reckons it looks like a stamp from an 80's warehouse party!
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • splendid - thanks. 2nd mortgage arranged, over to Rapha...;)
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    splendid - thanks. 2nd mortgage arranged, over to Rapha...;)

It's a one off cost for the gloves, cheaper than those warehouse parties were if you factor it over a few months...with the... errr..ancilliary costs factored in!
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I still have a pretty noticeable tan on both my arms and legs.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    My tan from, erm, let's see, 2006, has faded. Don't think I've had one since :?
  • Anonymous
    iain_j wrote:
    My tan from, erm, let's see, 2006, has faded. Don't think I've had one since :?

Maybe you applied sun block wrong?
  • iain_j
    No, just no significant sunshine since :D
  • Anonymous
    Everyone else still managed a tan, and I certainly haven't been using a tanning machine, they are for girls! :lol:
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    Ive got a nice wide stripe still across my back from when i went out in a crop top last summer for 5 hours and got horribly burnt. It didnt even seem that hot :shock:
    I will never forget the pain of the next two weeks.
  • iain_j
    That must have been the few weeks I was off after my accident then :P
  • BMX Bear
    BMX Bear Posts: 198
    I seem to have a kind of perma-tan now, I guess being Scottish it isn't that difficult to move up the colour chart from white!
    www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club
  • iain_j
    To be fair I'm being a bit harsh on the old British weather. I do recall ONE sunny ride last year. For days before, the forecast had consistently shown rain for where I wanted, and the day started cold and gloomy. It brightened slightly during the morning but was still cold and grey as I dragged myself over steep hill after steep hill in the Vyrnwy region. Then, mid to late afternoon, the sun suddenly came out and what an utterly glorious spring afternoon it turned out to be. I was riding down the Tanat Valley and I just stopped by a field entrance and surveyed the scene for a good 15 minutes, soaking it all in. Beautiful.

No sun tan though :P

EDIT to say it's this route and I highly recommend it, if you like hills! (nearly 7000ft ascent)
  • Sun Tan - no

Wind burn - yes

The lines have definitely faded ...
    Ride On ...
  • On the subject of cycling tans, why have glove manufacturers seemingly stopped making them with a hole on the back of the hand? Glove spots used to be the most comedy thing of a comedy cycling tan.

I would have thought Nike would have included some kind if cut-out of its 'tick' logo, so purchasers of their product would be appropriately 'branded'. Do they make cycling gloves though?
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100

I would have thought Nike would have included some kind if cut-out of its 'tick' logo, so purchasers of their product would be appropriately 'branded'. Do they make cycling gloves though?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/ ... Classic_01

:shock:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • To be fair I'm being a bit harsh on the old British weather. I do recall ONE sunny ride last year.
    Looking back at my training diary, I count at least a hundred...
  • iain_j
    I didn't do 100 all year :P

I only do 1 or 2 all-day rides per month. Other interests take up the rest of the time.

Got into work this morning, saw myself in the mirror and laughed - bad case of icy cold wind-tan on my face, except for round my eyes!
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    I've still got a pleasing tan-line cutting off the guns from last summer! There were a few nice days around the beginning of July, and I think the beginning of September was sunny for at least a few hours...

Anyone ever got burnt/tanned through a jersey in the summer? I've heard rumours of some rowers going out in urban military camouflage pattern lycra (white, grey, blue), and get sunburnt through the white bits only. Try explaining a splotchy tan all over your body!