Broke my cycling computer: ideas for new one?

boy on bike
boy on bike Posts: 139
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
The other day I failed to clip my Cateye Astrale cycling computer in properly. As it was a night-time ride I then failed to notice when it fell off... Luckily the next day I was able to find it - but not before several truck wheels had found it first :cry:

So... I'm in the business of getting a new one, and was looking for suggestions. I liked the cadence feature of the Astrale, and was wondering how much benefit there is from also having an integrated heart rate monitor. So any views or suggestions would be most welcome!

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    BOB, (Sorry haven't been in commuting for ages, as I am not at present)

May I recommend a Garmin forerunner 50 from Amazon for £29.99 (Free P&P)51YT5EBa88L._SS500_.jpg
    and then buy the optional GSC10 cadence & speed sensor for £27 from a company called globalgizmos - I had never heard of them either, but am waiting for it to arrrive, cheapest elsewhere is about £34.

The advantage with this is that the speed reading it taken off the rear wheel, so if you happen to turbo train (?) it will work for that too.

My Forerunner was despatched this morning, so am hoping it will arrive tomorrow.

I don't think you will get cheaper HRM, cadence and speed combined into one unit, oh and the Forerunner allows you to upload your HR details and gives you amazing graphs to look at and the like :wink:

There are bar mounts available if you want it on your bars, or I dare say you could manufacture one yourself if you so desire.

Before that I was going to get a Specialized Elite wired speed and cadence computer for around £20, and then any old cheap HRM on top.

Oh and the other advantage, is that if I really like it, and want it on more than one bike, I can just buy another GSC10, so for me it's a lot more flexible - oh and I needed a watch anyway! :lol:

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Garmin looks quite interesting, but does it do other cycle computer stuff such as odo? Or would I be looking for a simple cycle computer as well to do this?
  • Daniel B wrote:
    May I recommend a Garmin forerunner 50 from Amazon for £29.99 (Free P&P)

Not any more... (and they were quoting 2-3 months delivery time earlier when I had a look!

_
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    hello bob

Garmin Forerunner 50 is not a cycle computer per se but can track the info. It only displays two pieces of information at once and the display is wrist-watch sized, funnily enough. It's absolutely fantastic for a HRM and it allows you to totally over-analyze everything. :D

I have tried several computers recently and, I am a bit embarrassed to say, I think that the £7:50 one from Tesco is the best! Wireless had too much interference from my other electronical gubbins and told me I was travelling at 75 mph. Other wired ones didn't give me the info that I needed unless I went to higher spec models which cost 5 times as much for nothing extra in terms of functionality. So, I ended up buying another Tescos, as I am so happy with the one on my MTB. Also, it is less of a problem if it gets lost or run over by trucks!

From memory I get:
    Odo
    Time
    Speed
    Ave speed
    Distance
    Clock
    Max speed.

The HRM tells me how hard I am working and can beep at me nicely if I am doing interval training or want to keep in % zones.
  • Neil², sounds good, but no cadence...
  • The cateye strada wired cadence comp is what I've got on the bowery - I wanted cadence and it was the cheapest way to get it!!

Also, it being cateye, it's pretty easy and cheap to get spares etc for it.

EDIT: Here it is! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Catey ... 360029333/
  • yeah, I think I might end up with one of those - most similar to what I last had. But whenever I need to replace gear, I always end up thinking about upgrading and start looking around to see what else is out there. The only thing I could think was that if I could get something which integrated HRM as well in a useful way then it might be quite fun. But I need to keep myself in check or I'll go out and buy a Garmin Edge 705 to replace a thirty quid bike computer... :lol:
  • +1 for the strada.
  • Hmmmmm... might be cheaper to buy a separate HRM that uses a watch as well as the cadence comp... then you can obsessively monitor your HR all day!

I'm no expert though, there's an edge 705 on my sideboard waiting for a bike...
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    Hmmmmm... might be cheaper to buy a separate HRM that uses a watch as well as the cadence comp... then you can obsessively monitor your HR all day!

I'm no expert though, there's an edge 705 on my sideboard waiting for a bike...

...now here's a funny thing - I have a bike which has space for a 705 on the bars! What a coincidence! Can I send you a jiffy bag for you to pop it in the post to me? I can send you an ornament by return to fill the space on your sideboard... :wink:
  • giner1961
    giner1961 Posts: 135
    I would go for a Garmin 205 or 305, can't beat them, and you get a spare holder for a second bike, you can personlise the screen with what you want too see, no calabrating just put it on,turn it on and away you go. Love mine
  • yeah, I think I might end up with one of those - most similar to what I last had. But whenever I need to replace gear, I always end up thinking about upgrading and start looking around to see what else is out there. The only thing I could think was that if I could get something which integrated HRM as well in a useful way then it might be quite fun. But I need to keep myself in check or I'll go out and buy a Garmin Edge 705 to replace a thirty quid bike computer... :lol:

I know what you mean. I'm looking for a computer for my soon-to-be-acquired road bike and am trying to avoid justifying the Garmin 305. Cateye do the V3 which has wireless cadence and HRM for <£100 (just) but I'm a little concerned about whether the cadence readout is too small to be of much use when you're actually cycling with it...

_
  • Anyone got experience of the Polar CS100? Or the Blackburn Neuro 5.0? Both of those seem to have all the bells and whistles...
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Fill your boots, just don't leave it on the bike by mistake!

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -705-31875