Servicing rear hub

iain_j
iain_j Posts: 1,941
edited January 2009 in The workshop
How easy or not is it to service a rear hub? Mine's been making a rubbing noise for a few weeks since I gave the bike a clean, so I've either washed the grease out or washed some grime in.

Do I need any more than a couple of cone spanners and a pot of lithium grease?

Comments

• Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Read the hub servicing guide on Park Tools. Shows you practically everything that you will need to know.

I personally wouldn't use lithium grease or less your stripping the hubs down on a regular basis. Teflon Grease has a much better consistency that won't break up as much as lithium grease.

Also whilst your at it you may as well replace the bearings, a rear hub usually uses 9 1/4in bearings and front 10 3/16 bearings.
  • iain_j
    Thanks Vivid, i'll take a look there.

It's the kind of job I'd normally take it down to the LBS and ask them to have a look, but I want to learn at least these basic maintenance jobs myself. Saves money and makes me a bit more self-sufficient if things go wrong in the middle of nowhere!
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    iain_j wrote:
    Thanks Vivid, i'll take a look there.

It's the kind of job I'd normally take it down to the LBS and ask them to have a look, but I want to learn at least these basic maintenance jobs myself. Saves money and makes me a bit more self-sufficient if things go wrong in the middle of nowhere!

Good luck! and take your time.

Also make sure you pay attention to the order that bits come off and also which way around they are.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it also depends on what make the hub is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iain_j
    Shimano Deore.