Bottom Bracket Removal

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited January 2009 in The workshop
I'm VERY embarrassed to ask this question ... but ...

Which way do I unscrew the BB from the chainwheel side? The BB is a sealed cartridge type, and the adaptor on the other side unscrewed anti-clockwise. Does the BB unscrew anti clockwise, or clockwise from the chainwheel side?

I HAVE done this before ... but on a different bike (seems like the same kind of BB tho'), and it was a while ago so i can't remember ... and I can't seem to shift it either way.

Bike is a BeOne Storm 2.0 (if that helps?!)

Thanks

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    The drive side is a left hand thread which unscrews clockwise. (Assuming it's an English thread BB, which it almost certainly is. Italian jobs have right hand threads both sides)
  • The BeOne is, I think, a dutch make ... will that make a difference to the thread?
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    99%, if not more, of modernbikes have an english bottom bracket thread. It will be safe to assume it is. If you come accross anything old and continental, or anything Italian, then it's worth checking the shell for stampings (normally a Cinelli stamp is the clue) , but for modern non-italian kit I assume english and have yet to be caught out. Check the shell width if you're paranoid - if it's 68 or, much less commonly, 73mm it's english, Italian BBs are 70mm.