Leeds to Liverpool Canal.

2xmarin
2xmarin Posts: 7
edited January 2009 in MTB rides
Hi Guys, been reading for a while but never posted. Until now.

Me and the Girl friend are planning on doing the Leeds to LIverpool canal in May. A search on Goolge and this forum hastn really thrown up any really useful tips places to stay etc. We are planning to do the ride over 4 days.

Any advice?.

Cheers,

Chris.

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Fit mudguards. It will stop you getting splattered with dog sh!t when you ride through Burnley.

If you can, do it Liverpool - Leeds, not the other way - that way the prevailing wind will be behind you.

Download British Waterways Board cycling permits from their website and carry them with you.

Look out for pikeys/chavs on the urban bits. They will steal your bike, stab you, push you in, kidnap your girlfriend and hold her for ransom, throw things at you and generally abuse you. Thick skin and kung-fu skills ("Chicks dig great skills, Pedro!") are recommended.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Can be a slutch fest on the towpath; not ideal on the narrow bits with overhanging branches and a big wet ditch right next to you.

Can also be difficult to get to the start in Liverpool. We ran it once (many years ago) and had to jump a couple of walls to get to the start. They are now extending the canal right into the centre of Liverpool, by the Pier Head, but I don't know when that will be complete.
    Frank Yates
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    There's a thread here at another cycling forum that may be helpful http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showt ... post563446
  • Thanks for that chaps, I know all about the Burnley bit, I live in Blackburn!.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    2xmarin wrote:
    Thanks for that chaps, I know all about the Burnley bit, I live in Blackburn!.

Well somebody has to I suppose...! :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic