Specialized Allez or Trek 1.2??

Tino4444
Tino4444 Posts: 281
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have norrowed my search for a £500 to £600 road bike down to two contenders:

1. Specialized Allez
2. Trek 1.2

Before I purchase I would be interested to see what you experts think would be the best of the two for quality and reliability etc.

Has anyone got either of the above two bikes? If so I would like to know what you think of them good or bad.

Thanks,

Tino.
Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!

Comments

• Tino: I don't actually have one but from what ive been told the frame geometry of the trek 1.2 is different to the rest of the 1points. If you have the money try a 1.5 as the same frame is used for the rest of the series. ie 1.5, 1.7 and 1.9 the only difference will be lower spec stuff on it.

1.2 has sora shifters and rear derailler and lower spec for the rest
    1.5 sora shifters and front derailler but with tiagra cassette and rear
    both have carbon forks and allu frames

As for the spesh allez. It is allu frame and carbon fork with sora levers and front derailler and tiagra rear and cassette

So the spesh is probably closer to the 1.5 than 1.2. So if you have the money take the 1.5 because of the better frame but otherwise take the spesh.

That's my thoughts anyway
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    When I tried them lastv autumn, I found the Trek 1.2 a bit cheapie feeling, while the Specialized Allez felt all-round better - but that was the first time I had sat on a modern road bike and I was blown away.And I preferred the Black colour. In the end I went for a Trek 1.7, but 1.5 sounds like a good one to try out. I liked it, but had to test a slightly too large size.
  • get a Giant defy 3. i had the same dilema last week, really. i went for the giant and i love it. i rode 40 k today. peace of cake
  • get a Giant defy 3. i had the same dilema last week, really. i went for the giant and i love it. i rode 40 k today. peace of cake
  • I've got the Allez and I love it.

But I would recommend changing the tyres. 3 punctures in 2 weeks on the standard tyres. Changed to Conti Gatorskins and (touch wood) been fine since.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    I am now the proud owner of a Speciallized Allez 2009 18 with clipless pedals (should be interesting).

It took me ages to decide between the Seciallized and the Trek but think I have made the right decision....Hopefully!!

Tino
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • Tino, you've made a good choice, mate. I've got the beautiful all-black-stealth 2004 Allez which, IMO, is the best paint job they've ever done on that bike. I've upgraded a few bits over the years and it's still one of my favourite rides.
    Enjoy!