mavic crossmax slr

gypsy3006
gypsy3006 Posts: 108
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Does anyone have an opinion on the new crossmax slr wheels ?
:)

cheers
Gypo
Ride like theres a randy priest behind you !!!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep - expensive!

Can't rerally see the point when you can get better handbuilt non factory wheels that weigh the same or less for less money.

Example - XTR hubs, ZTR355 rims, Sapim CXray spokes.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    SLRs seem expensive even for factory wheels. Spesh Roval Controle Sl are 1385g claimed wiehgt and a fair bit cheaper!

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/9184/SPECIALIZED-ROVAL-CONTROLE-SL-DISC-BLK-WHT/

Poshbikes do some very nice bespoke wheelsets, too

http://www.poshbikes.com/make.php?20

As SS said, handbuilt wheels offer great VFM.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • gypsy3006
    cheers blackspur ,

do you think they will be strong or pretty fragile ?

and how do you think they compare against the XT wheel set ?

nice one ,
    Gypo
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    I've got a set of last years on my Kona, they seem pretty strong, i've bent the front slightly getting wedged between rocks and going over the bars.

There definitely light, and solidly built, agree with the above you can probably get as light for less but check out the Mavic insurance policy that'll keep you in rims for years

All in all I'd probably buy again, they do look the nuts!
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • gypsy3006
    thanks Dr s :D

What sort of riding do you do on them ?

whats the mavic insurance policy if you dont mind me asking ? :D
    excuse my ignorance :oops:
    cheers
    Gypo
  • Dr S
    Hi Gypo,

I ride XC either round berkshire or up in the lakes, occasional red routes at trail centres. Not into large air or big drop offs. The crash where I bent the front jammed the wheel in so hard I had to find someone else to help me pull the bike back out (i'm 6ft tall and nearly 15st... it was in seriously tight!). There not the stiffest wheels in the world if you really lean on the them, then you can hear a touch of rub think hard 20mph corners.

Mavic insurance was in the mags recently, don't have much detail couldn't get it as my wheels were OEM. I think its a 3 year policy for damage / wear no exclusions...

Like I say I'm glad I've got them, i'd have struggled to justify it until I bought a bike with them fitted as stock, now I can see the benefit but your into serious diminishing returns

Nick
  • gypsy3006
    thanks very much Nick ,

I am looking at a bike with them fitted and wasnt sure whether they would take my XC-red-little bit of black flung in when im feeling brave (or stupid) riding :lol:

Its great being light but not if im going to bend them every time im out :oops:

do they feel fragile to you or do they feel normal , if you know what i mean :D

cheers
    Gypo
  • gypsy3006
    Can I ask which Kona you ride ?

cheers
    Gypo
  • Dr S
    Hi Gypo,

I ride a Kona Kula Supreme, I was worried they were fragile to start with but they really are fine. Probably not great if your very heavy on the bike, I'm pretty smooth (mostly) I wouldn't think it would be appropriate to be getting much more than 12"-18" of air on them. But if your not in that sort of really agressive usage then they'll be fine, possibly they'll take more on a full susser as you've got a bit of give as well.

Nick
  • gypsy3006
    thats a very niiiiiicee bike Nick

thanks again for all your help

cheers
    Gypo