Evans Cycles....Good service?

Tino4444
Tino4444 Posts: 281
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

I need a bit of assistance in a decision over my first Road Bike.

For a few weeks now I have been seriously considering purchasing a Boardman Road bike, however having read blogs regarding the inexperienced staff at Halfords when it comes down to building the bike and servicing it I am a little put off!!! Am I right to be??

With the above in mind I am now considering purchasing from Evans Cycles. Has anyone had any experiences with Evans Cyles, good or bad?

I have read that the Boardman bikes are of real good quality though in spec and am now unsure of what road bike I could purchase which was as good a spec for a budget of between £500.00 to £650.00.

I have been looking at the Claude Butler Milano..Any good?

Your comments would be well recieved.

Tino.
Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!

Comments

• sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Hi Tino

From what I have seen on here not all Halfords are the same and some have had problems with Evans too.
    Where are you would help as someone might have had a Boardmans near you with on problems, friend of mine got one from Enfield with on problems.

Plus there are some very good deals a round at the mo, try searching on the forum as this question is asked alot.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Sicknote wrote:
    Hi Tino

From what I have seen on here not all Halfords are the same and some have had problems with Evans too.
    Where are you would help as someone might have had a Boardmans near you with on problems, friend of mine got one from Enfield with on problems.

Plus there are some very good deals a round at the mo, try searching on the forum as this question is asked alot.

I am in Wakefield, West Yorkshire.

Thanks I will look through some other blogs.

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My experience would suggest there's not much difference between Halfords and Evans, and they are both a bit of a lottery. Depends entirely on whether the member of staff you're dealing with knows his / her stuff. Best if you've already done a bit of research, then you can spot the duff advice and politely leave.

The Boardman bikes are good value if you're after a decently specced racy model on a budget
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Both shops can be hit or miss, go to your local one during the week and have a chat, you'll soon know if they're any good!

Do not go to either at weekends, saturday staff and busy shops do not make for informative, practical shopping experiances.

At your price range the Boardmans do look good value.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Out of the frying pan... :twisted:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    my only recent experience of Evans has been with mail order - and that was a completely painless and very efficient process. No complaints at all..
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I've had very good service from them:

good advice when choosing a carbon road bike, and a good outcome for me and my riding style (although I didn't buy the bike from them in the end :oops: )

excellent service mail order when buying a road bike for my daughter

but also quite poor service from them:

ignorance of a simple question about their stock (but at least he admitted he had no idea!)

several episodes of disinterest from sales staff who seemed to think that chatting to each other was their exclusive key performance objective. :evil:

As has been said, it depends on the staff, so test them out before committing.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)