Yet another "which bike post" - please indulge me

man2wolf
man2wolf Posts: 70
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Having got back into the saddle last year on an old Raleigh hybrid I'm now looking to buy my first road bike. As I'm not especially fit and I dont intend racing anyone, I need comfort rather than out and out speed. Always fancied an Italian bike but a bit of research suggests Cannondale Synapse or Specialized Roubaix would suit me better. Budget is up to £1500. Any thoughts please?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    If you've always fancied an Italian bike, get one, You'll regret it later if you don't. Willier can be had for your budget, also Kuota, Bianchi, Pinarello (albeit lower spec) to name a few. All are made in the Far East, but there is something about Italian branded bikes.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    My criteria was very similar to yours about this time last year. I looked at both of those bikes along with a Trek Madone 4.7 and a couple of others. I test rode the Spesh and the Trek. The Cannondale I struggled to find a dealer that had one in my size that would let me test it first without placing an order - so that got crossed off the list.

I ended up buying a Bianchi 928 C2C and it is a great bike and I would recommend it :D:D .

In that price bracket you are really spoilt for choice though.

The best advice I could give based on my experiences, is firstly, make sure you can test ride any of the bikes you are seriously considering. Secondly, buy it from a shop that will spend the time doing a proper fitting session with you.
    Where abouts are you in the country?

Hope this helps,
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Gary
    Thanks for your advice.
    I live on Lancs/Chesh border if thats relevant?
    Think theres a LBS fairly close that sells Bianchi.
    Also, I'm spending a few days up in the Lake District next month and I know of a couple of dealers up there who between them stock Spesh/Cannondale/Trek/Scott so I might have a closer look then
    Steve
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Steve,
    The best advice I could possibly give is to go along to Paul Hewitts in Leyland and have a proper fitting session. It costs £50 but is refundable against a new bike if you have it from there - however, it is not mandatory that you do. You will get a copy of a chart with all of the relevant dimensions written on that you could compare with the frame geometry on any bike. You could easily save yourself a lot more than that by not having to experiment with stem length and seatposts etc.

Trust me, if you are spending that sort of money on a bike, then another £50 is well worth it. You will not regret it at all. I wish I had done it!

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    You can get great deals from the likes of Focus, Cube, Felt, Canyon and Wiggle's own brand, Kiron. Not to mention the Boardman range. I've always thought that you're basically paying for the name with Italian bikes and the big American manufacturers. Someone above hit the nail on the head saying that "Italian" bikes are made in the Far East, so much for Italian then....!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.