Lefevere to sue AFLD over Schumacher?

stagehopper
stagehopper Posts: 1,593
edited January 2009 in Pro race
Haven't see this posted - anyone monitoring the French press (ian?) know what the hold up is?

Lefevere threatens to sue AFLD over Schumacher case

Quick Step manager Patrick Lefevere has said that he will sue the French Anti-Doping Agency, AFLD, if the agency doesn't take action on the Stefan Schumacher case within two weeks.

The German rider tested positive for CERA during the Tour de France, it was announced in October. However, his B samples have still not been tested and there are apparently no on-going investigations into the matter. Schumacher has continued to maintain his innocence and has applied for a licence to ride this season for Quick Step. He had signed with the Belgian team before the test results were announced and Quick Step said at that time that it considered the contract void.

"Where is he now, the great Mr. Bordry?" Lefevere asked rhetorically, referring to Pierre Bordry, president of the AFLD. "In the Tour he put on a big show, but now you do not hear from him. He doesn't even answer my emails."

"If Bordry does not take any action within two weeks, I will hit him with a lawsuit," the Belgian continued, according to nieuwsblad.be. "Because in principle Schumacher is right. As long as he has not been found guilty, he can ride and I have no reason not to comply with the contract. Or I pay him not to ride, which I would not gladly do."

The alternative would be to let Schumacher race. "But what do you think the ASO would say if Schumacher is on the start list for Paris-Nice? They would say, 'No, we don't want him.'"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... /jan26news

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    That reminds me... whatever happened to Lefevre's 20 million euro lawsuit against Het Laatste Nieuws?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... mar12news2
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Looks like Lefevre's got egg on his face, he gave Schumacher a contract that seems to be the legal equivalent of saying "even if you're under a provisional suspension, as agreed under the WADA code, I'll still pay you money." What's "dork" in Flemish?
  • stagehopper
    Kléber wrote:
    Looks like Lefevre's got egg on his face, he gave Schumacher a contract that seems to be the legal equivalent of saying "even if you're under a provisional suspension, as agreed under the WADA code, I'll still pay you money." What's "dork" in Flemish?

How long does the WADA code allow a provisional suspension to last? Is there a time limit for a B sample to be tested?

You can maybe understand Levere's frustration when it's nearly 4 months since the results of the A sample were announced.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Schumaker waived his right to have the B sample analysed - nothing to do with AFLD dragging their heels or Brodry shooting his mouth off - unlike Lefevre...

However, surely this is Lefevre's get out clause?
  • stagehopper
    I think part of Lefevre's frustration came from not having any reply to his emails to the AFLD regarding the Schumacher situation. There seems to be a clear lack of communication all round here having read the follow up article in CN:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... jan27news2
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    So that's how you get someone to reply to your e-mails! After getting no response for months, you threaten to sue in the media and the person you've been trying to reach replies within the hour.

Isn't the AFLD listed in the phone book, Patrick?