Stuck pedal

boy on bike
boy on bike Posts: 139
edited January 2009 in The workshop
Hi, I'm tarting up an old MTB to use as a temporary commuter while my #1 bike is out of action. I was trying to change the platform pedals for some SPDs, but I can't budge the left-hand pedal at all:

crankkc0.jpg

A couple of questions:

First up: given that this is the LH pedal, I should be trying to turn the pedal clockwise to release, right?

I'm struggling to get any purchase, partly because the crank keeps turning. Can I remove the crank arm by undoing the bolt at the BB-end of the crank? And if so, which way do I need to turn this one to undo it?

Ta!

Comments

• Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Yes it is Clockwise to undo the LH pedal.

To remove the crank you undo the bolt and then use a crank extractor tool to remove the crank. However this is not really needed.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Removing the crank will make it more difficult - if it keeps turning, get someone to stand on the other pedal, put a long bar over the spanner and if need be - jump on it.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Would Coke free it up?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Toe Strap or similar and secure the crank to the chainstay. You might also encounter some seizure due to corrosion, the crank looks steel to me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Well, I tried the someone standing on the pedal trick, but with my little short spanner there was still not enough purchase. So I popped into my LBS on the way home from work, and the guy came out of his inner sanctum with a spanner about 3 foot long. Unsurprisingly he had the thing loose in a jiffy! So when I got home I was able to swap the pedal, so at least I can clip in tomorrow.

Ta for all the advice - again!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got a Cyclo pedal spanner that is 13" long, leverage is the thing here.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.