Rounded off Bolt on Cap Plate on Headset......any ideas?

giantjason
giantjason Posts: 89
edited January 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
i was going through the process of changing my forks and was trying to unscrew the cap plate above the stem on my FSA headset on a Giant Reign.

a size 5mm allen key was too big so i tried a 4mm size and have ended up rounding off the fitting.

has anyone any ideas how this can be overcome?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    drill it out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    If you have some welding gear handy, weld a metal plate to make a screw handle. Or saw a groove and use a screwdriver, depending on how high/low your stem is set at.
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    get a large drill and drill of the head of the allen bolt shem you can remove your forks then when you have time you can remove the last of the allen bolt you should have some therad left to get pliers or grips on to it.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    As Nick says, drill it out. The head will drop off and you can unscrew what is left of the screw.

Shouldn't be that tight anyway ?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    -Liam- wrote:
    Shouldn't be that tight anyway ?

It could have rusted into the SFN (another good argument for a Hope Head Doctor, folks - cue torrent of abuse from Nick and Super :D !!)

Loads of PlusGas/WD40 down the sides of the screw head and let it soak in for a few hours.

Then, get the next size up imperial allen key or a bigger Torx bit and hammer it into the remains of the socket, should give you enough purchase to get it out. Failing that, you're going to have to find someone with an impact driver and/or a set of extractors.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Yeah true.

I knocked up a locking pin thing at work for my new forks. Blocks up the hole at the bottom and I don't use the SFN.
  • i have not had it unscrewed since i got the bike nearly 15 months ago.

Can i just break the cap plate on the top and remove the bolt with pliers?

• ok....i managed to drill out the cover plate and loosen it that way.

dave_hill - how does the Hope Head Doctor work? Do i need to remove the nut that is held in the steerer tube?