Get fit quick?

mr-ed
mr-ed Posts: 130
Right, due to a few reasons I've been pretty slack over the winter. I went to take some time off at the start and was then pretty ill and so ended up not riding for 2 months and have then been out occasionally. The cold and crappy weather have meant I've rather been sitting on the sofa! So I've put on a few pounds and got a bit slow and suddenly its a month to the first races of the year. Yes I've left it too late but what riding would you do if you were in my position? Put some miles in or just get going hard over sorter rides?

Cheers.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    What length are your races?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    mr-ed wrote:
    Put some miles in or just get going hard over sorter rides?
    .......or c) delay the start of my racing season a month or two, get a proper build up, safe in the knowledge that the season doesn't end until October?
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    ride hard and rest in equal amounts. use the opening racing as training.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Get out a few times midweek for a couple of hours. Maybe do longer club runs saturday/sunday?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Get out a few times midweek for a couple of hours. Maybe do longer club runs saturday/sunday?

That would be all the YOGi rides then Ed? Sounds good to me. I'd throw in a few interval sessions maybe try staying on Garry 'the bike' Pikes wheel... who needs motorcycle pacing!

You'll have to rely on your body's 'memory' of all the base training over the last couple of years and concentrate primarily on the 'top-end' training. Good luck mate, see you on the road.
  • mr-ed
    ^^^There's no easy way then?! :cry:
  • mr-ed wrote:
    :lol:
    it's a hard sport, so HTFU, get on your bike and do the work.
    No place for the lazy in racing.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    mr-ed wrote:

if there was, everyone would be doing it...
  • "Getting fit fast" looks like a receipt för getting hurt and having to postpone the season debut anyway.
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • mr-ed
    Yeah its not a perfect situation. I enjoy racing though and it doesn't matter to me if get dropped on the first ones. So i guess its just ride more and take my time!
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    If you are just going to do 3/4 racing and can ride say 40 miles without falling appart then I'd just do a couple of weeks of base then go straight to the harder stuff. Just pay attention to your body to avoid illness/injury, but you shoudl do this anyway IMO.
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    I shouldn't worry about getting dropped on Tuesday night Ed, I think it's safe to say you won't be on your own!

Good ride Saturday, we'll be looking to do a bit more mileage this Saturday, if you're up for it.

Everyday above ground and vertical is a bonus
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    'Course, you could try EPO...