wheel slip

mmuk
mmuk Posts: 398
edited January 2009 in The workshop
Sometimes when I put too much pressure down the rear wheel slips (pulls forward on the chain side) in the drop outs, hits the frame, and stops me! I know the skewer shouldn't be too tight, but keeping it so tight I can hardly re open it seems to be the only thing that works - and even that isn't fool proof. Any ideas on how I can stop this happening? It a bl**dy pain!

thanks

Mike

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    A nutted axle.

I'm guessing you have a singlespeed? You should really be running a nutted axle anyway, as QRs are prone to slipping on SS bikes with horizontal dropouts/track ends. This is because you have to have a relatively high gear, so when you're starting off, you're putting a massive load through the chain, which can pull the wheel forward. On a geared bike, you can start in a lower gear, meaning lower forces.

If you're a confident mechanic, you can get the axle here and fit it yourself. Otherwise your LBS should do it for around a tenner.
  • mmuk
    it's a 105 geared bike, and it tends to happen when I put pressure on going up hill - honking for example, or sometimes if I push down hard to start to sprint - I could use a nutted axle I guess?!
  • whyamihere
    Hmmm, shouldn't be needed with gears.

What QR are you using? Is it quite old? If so, a new QR may solve the problem for not much money. Also, how tight are you doing them up? The QR lever should leave a noticeable indent in the flash of your palm when you push it closed.
  • mmuk
    QR is about 5 months old, bought with new wheels from Pete Matthews. As I said at the top - if I close it so tight I can barely open it again, then it's usually OK, but I have known it slip even then, especially on a really steep climb, when I have to push very hard.
    I used to have Mavic wheel/Qr's and it slipped with them, have also tried shimano wheels off my other bike and it slips with them, so the QR seems not to make any difference
  • whyamihere
    Looks like the nutted axle may be the only option open to you. Might be difficult/impossible to fit if you have sealed bearings though.

It is a strange one. I wonder if your frame is a bit weird in some way, such as the slot in the dropouts being more horizontal than most frames, making it easier for the axle to move forward. What is the frame, out of interest?
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    So your using Horizontal Dropouts with quick releases?
  • mmuk
    yes - should've said that at the beginning, horizontal drop outs
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    In my experience even with gears the only option is either a nutted axel, or these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=chain+tugs

At least the chain tugs should keep the wheel in the correct place.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • mmuk
    thanks Rich158 - they look ideal!