Milan - San Remo

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2009 in Pro race
Dan Friebe's interviewwith Boonen got me thinking about who's in the frame for M-SR.

Cav is out as I'm not convinced he can do the distance.

Boonen would love it but what about Allan Davis? He's come 2nd before and seems to be sprinting pretty well.

Petacchi?

I know it's a way off yet but still, hmmmm....
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• I am going for Bennati via my blog.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Your mate Stapleton told me they were looking to get Cav in shape for Milan San Remo as one of their projects for him, but not sure if that was for 2009 or further down the line.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Has Petacchi got the legs still or the team for MSR?

Cav's got the team but has he got the legs? At half stone lighter maybe.

Davis is a good call if Boonen is focusing on P-R.

I'll hedge a bit and call it as a win for one of the new teams. Katusha perhaps?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Bit early for PTP but I reckon Gilbert is in with a shout this year - he needs to make the gap he opened on the Poggio last year stick though, which I don't think the revised finish location helped last year.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Early to say.

Can anyone remember that online cycling database where you can do "head to head" contests between riders to see who has won more often, I'd love to see how Boonen and Cavendish have done. Remember this?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Kléber wrote:
    Remember this?
    Scheldeprijs 2008 - Classic Schoolboy Error! :x
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    cavendish-sprint-lr-4-16-087.jpg

Boonen looks like someone having their first attempt at riding with no hands.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    I think the experience of Cav may hinder him this year at Milan-SanRemo, just the lumps before then end may be the counting factor, Rebellin has said it's the one he's not got that he really wants to win and as a last throw of the dice at his age that's who I'd pick
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    leguape wrote:
    Has Petacchi got the legs still or the team for MSR?

Cav's got the team but has he got the legs? At half stone lighter maybe.

I think Cav's lost about half a stone. Anyway, I'd love to see Gilbert win it.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Don't think distance will be a problem for Cav but the climb they used last year, Le Manie, might be. Cav's never had any problem with endurance.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I reckon it's impossible to guess until we see some evidence as to who is in good form. If Cancellara is in great form, then he could be hard to beat, BUT I would guess that he's going to try and hit form slightly later this season, perhaps aim for Flanders (he's won M-SR and P-R so why not!).

Cav's problem will probably be the climbs, but he's lost a lot of weight, and is getting better at climbing, but IMO if team Columbia play their cards right and get him to the finish in the right place, then he has a good chance. However, Cav seemed knackered by the slightly hilly bits in the "sprint" stages of the tour last year, so it might be asking too much.

Thor Hushovd?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:

Can anyone remember that online cycling database where you can do "head to head" contests between riders to see who has won more often, I'd love to see how Boonen and Cavendish have done. Remember this?

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/h2h.asp

I'd also like to see Gilbert take it. Last year he was one of the most marked guys in the race.

Cipo reckons Cav could win it in the future. I just hope he's not been offering any advise about coaches...remember what happened to Vino :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dan Friebe's interviewwith Boonen got me thinking about who's in the frame for M-SR.

Boonen would love it but what about Allan Davis? He's come 2nd before and seems to be sprinting pretty well.

Petacchi?

I think Cav could nail the distance no problem but im not sure he could hang on on the Poggio particluarly if guys like Ballan and Rebellin and Gilbert maybe Cunego (if he rides) are giving it some stick. As for Allan Davis yep could see him being in the shake up if it ended in a bunch sprint, he certainly looke good in Oz this week but MSR is a different beast altogether.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • I think Cav can win it, but maybe not this year, it would depend how he goes in P-N or T-A, whichever one he does. The distance would be no problem, and I think boys like Eisel and Greipel can get him over the Poggio. The only inconsistency he's realyl shown has been his ability to hold a wheel, (remember Ghent Wevelgem?) but then given his track background and a year in the peloton where he seems to have improved a bit it's hit and miss.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cav has said in interview that MSR is a long term goal of his, but not for this year...
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    I think Cav can win it, but maybe not this year, it would depend how he goes in P-N or T-A, whichever one he does. The distance would be no problem, and I think boys like Eisel and Greipel can get him over the Poggio. The only inconsistency he's realyl shown has been his ability to hold a wheel, (remember Ghent Wevelgem?) but then given his track background and a year in the peloton where he seems to have improved a bit it's hit and miss.

Maybe but im not so sure he could stay intact over the Poggio anytime ive seen attacks on hilly terrain Cav is usually first out the back like last years TDF stage that Friere won and Greipel is out for three months after crashing out in the TDU , think he has a problem again with his shoulder which may need another op.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    It's gotta be Petacchi or Bennati, surely?!?!

Both Italian, both care more about it than any of the other likely contenders. Both can get over the Poggio after 300 odd km and have a sprint in there.

Cavendish is far too young to cover 300km and win, and Boonen won't be in top form.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    No takers for Lance? :wink:
  • What about Ciolek? He is pretty quick and doesn't struggle over the climbs. Still wouldn't bet against Cav having a damn good try, he could surprise a few people.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I think Cav can win it, but maybe not this year, it would depend how he goes in P-N or T-A, whichever one he does. The distance would be no problem, and I think boys like Eisel and Greipel can get him over the Poggio. The only inconsistency he's realyl shown has been his ability to hold a wheel, (remember Ghent Wevelgem?) but then given his track background and a year in the peloton where he seems to have improved a bit it's hit and miss.

Eisel?! There aren't many worse climbers than Cav in the peloton, but Eisel is definitely one of them.

I think Cav can win MSR one day, but definitely not this year. What about Ballan? He's bound to attack with the rainbow jersey on his back. He has a good racing brain, lots of power and stamina, and is a decent climber.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Petacchi?

I think Cav could nail the distance no problem but im not sure he could hang on on the Poggio particluarly if guys like Ballan and Rebellin and Gilbert maybe Cunego (if he rides)
    are giving it some stick. As for Allan Davis yep could see him being in the shake up if it ended in a bunch sprint, he certainly looke good in Oz this week but MSR is a different beast altogether.

MG

It is but his come second before and his form at the end of last year when he signed with QS was pretty bloody good. As said above his come second before, his form at the TdU was great but more importantly his developing into much more of an all round rider than just a sprinter i reckon if Boonen decides to focus on other races his a good chance.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.