edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34565309@N ... 944204082/

Managed to suck the rear deraillur in the back wheel :shock: :shock: :shock:

Comments

• How did it happen? that sucks.

Good excuse for a new bike?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Limit screws poorly adjusted. On the plus side, you haven't broken any spokes by the looks of it, meaning that all(!) you need to replace is the rear mech and mech hanger. It sucks, but I bet you make sure the limit's set right next time. ;)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The one saving grace you have is that you haven't killed the frame, only the hanger. A new mech and hanger and back to riding?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    edited January 2009
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    It's a sign from the gods - time to go single speed :twisted:

Go on what have you got to lose.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prj45
    prj45 wrote:

Actually, that's fu***ing funny.
  • go alfine
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    whyamihere wrote:
    Limit screws poorly adjusted. On the plus side, you haven't broken any spokes by the looks of it, meaning that all(!) you need to replace is the rear mech and mech hanger. It sucks, but I bet you make sure the limit's set right next time. ;)

Erm, um, I will try! (goes off to read bike manual)
  • tardington
    How did it happen? that sucks.

Good excuse for a new bike?

I'm not sure how! Gears were slipping slightly then WONK broken...

Oh, I've pulled out a couple of spokes as well. :evil:
  • prj45
    tardie wrote:
    Oh, I've pulled out a couple of spokes as well. :evil:

*ppppffffffttttt* [trying not to laugh]
  • alfine no mech & only 8 gears to confuse me
  • tardington
    Not sure if I could live with just 8 gears. The alfine looks smart though...

Turns out that you don't get Deore LX anymore? Excusing my ignorance, but should I take the chance to upgrade the rear mech?

Also, I'm a bit confused about the names that shimano give them. I see Wiggle has no deore normal ones, although the LBS has one they can put on...? Is Tiagra better? Should I be going by price?

Also what's the deal with SRAM? Someone said they had a SRAM chain on their tricross sport, should I do the same?
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    'Tis but a flesh wound!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Peasoup
    Peasoup Posts: 63
    If I'm thunking right you have a tricross, which was specc'd with deore long cage on at the rear end (mtb kit)

deore has been re-born into some new fangled commuter type kit, hence why you might have to look around to get a direct replacement.

I would guess if you were looking to upgrade you'd be best looking at XT or XTR?
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Those are low normal, aren't they?

As a fellow Tricross Sport owner, may I take this opportunity to ask a question about the rear mech? I'm presuming it's a long cage one because the cassette has quite low gearing at the big end (32t) due to the bike being designed with cyclocross in mind.

Does this mean that it's not possible to use mechs from Shimano's road bike range (ie Tiagra, Ultegra, etc) unless you also change to using a rear cassette with a smaller range?

If so, and I wanted to upgrade the rear mech, would I need to look at Shimano's MTB range to find derailers with suitably long cages?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Christ that bike looks in a poor state of repair anyway. Bad luck but I'd suggest that regular cleaning, maintenance and general attention is the way forward in the future...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Christ that bike looks in a poor state of repair anyway. Bad luck but I'd suggest that regular cleaning, maintenance and general attention is the way forward in the future...
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965

I was just thinking that. The cassette and chain look like they haven't see any lube in a while!
  • Jamey
    Anyone got an answer to my question about mechs/cassettes above?
  • whyamihere
    Jamey wrote:
    Those are low normal, aren't they? Low normal will be fine, it will just reverse the shifting, requiring a bit of getting used to

Does this mean that it's not possible to use mechs from Shimano's road bike range (ie Tiagra, Ultegra, etc) unless you also change to using a rear cassette with a smaller range? Correct

If so, and I wanted to upgrade the rear mech, would I need to look at Shimano's MTB range to find derailers with suitably long cages? Yes
  • Jamey
    Thank you.

Do you think Shimano will always continue to produce a decent rear mech that is both top-normal and also capable of taking an 11-32t cassette? The super-long-cage Deore LX rear mech I've got fitted at the moment looks like it might be starting to get discontinued.
  • whyamihere
    Most likely. Downhillers hate the low normal mechs, and many of them use XTR mechs, so Shimano still produces a top normal XTR. You will probably always be able to get them, but you might end up paying through the nose for them...
  • Jamey
    Cheers... Just looked at XT stuff and it seems you can get it in top normal as well as low normal, and at under £50 that's not too bad.

I'm probably just being a worrywall though, I don't even need a new mech yet. Only had the bike since September :)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I changed the cassette to a 32 on my gf's bike, I managed to get a secondhand XT rear mech on eBay for £11. I have had one on my mtb for 9 years so I know they are long lasting, so I had no worries about s/h. Maybe worth having a look on eBay? It is only slightly scratched, unnoticeable in use.
  • Jamey
    Nine years? Nice one, maybe I won't need to change my current one anytime soon then.

Just out of interest, does upgrading a rear mech on its own make a noticeable difference or do you need to change anything else at the same time to see a real benefit?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I've just done this...

Slipped on some ice and didn't notice it was out of true.

Doh
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    How easy is it to set up indexing gears?
  • djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    At least you wont have to wash it now :lol:

You should invest in a bucket and sponge when you buy a rear mech :P

Live and learn