Buyer beware - Not a rant but pretty damn close

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited January 2009 in The workshop
I'd like to share this discover with you all that you might not suffer the same fate.

Just over a year ago I purchased a new Trek 1.7 from a small LBS in Salisbury, from the very start I was unsure with what i'd been sold, this was my first road bike and I'm new to cycling anyway. That aside I quickly discovered that this bike had not be set up at all and was in fact sold to me with flat tyres, poorly index gears and loose handlebars normally i'd take it back but at the time I considered those minor issues that I could fix.

No no no.......

During a ride this week it developed a squeak and one of the shifter gear cables came undone, I figured serious maintenance was required and today during a complete strip down I've discovered that the bottom bracket has been tightened to the point of no return.

The net result for me has been poor performance and reduced component life = more money & wasted time.

My inexperience and said shops rubbish customer service has truely pissed me off, I'm going to pen a letter (email) to Trek, as it is Trek's policy to ensure all bikes are ONLY sold via dealers so as to ensure good customer service and the right bike fit. I will give myself a stern talking too, I must not be so British and learn to complain more.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    IIRC there are two LBS in Salisbury, maybe only one now.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Had a mini heart attack then thinking there was some problem with the bits I sent you. :shock:
  • itboffin
    redvee wrote:

Only one sells Trek, bastards!!!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    itboffin wrote:
    redvee wrote:

They don't sell fishing tackle aswell?
  • itboffin
    whyamihere wrote:
    Had a mini heart attack then thinking there was some problem with the bits I sent you. :shock:

No no i'm very happy with that kit and many thanks - the more campy kit I see the more I like it, those shifters are so much more comfortable and the brakes have so much more stopping power than 105's.

Careful of this will explode into a full on Shimano vs Campagnolo debate.
  • itboffin
    redvee wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    redvee wrote:

They don't sell fishing tackle aswell?

Erm what?

Shimano do :D

2nd funniest post :lol:
  • redvee
    Not the shop I know then, must be the one down the small side street A**s**ry cycles?
  • itboffin
    redvee wrote:
    Not the shop I know then, must be the one down the small side street A**s**ry cycles?

Nope

http://locator.trekbikes.com/locator/se ... =25&unit=m
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just a note on the bb. it should have been factory fitted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • itboffin
    nicklouse wrote:
    just a note on the bb. it should have been factory fitted.

:shock:

I'll post the reply from Trek.
  • nicklouse
    most bikes come fairly well built, straight bars, fit seat post and saddle, fit pedals (if supplied), (maybe fit front wheel) Check brakes and gears.

Did you get the bb out?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • itboffin
    nicklouse wrote:
    most bikes come fairly well built, straight bars, fit seat post and saddle, fit pedals (if supplied), (maybe fit front wheel) Check brakes and gears.

Did you get the bb out?

Nope can't even get the cranks off, the little plastic screw is so tight, I have the Park Tool BBT-9 as well, but no longer any skin on my left thumb.

Thankfully I have a great LBS, guess where i'll be in the morning :wink:
  • nicklouse
    you have slackend of the two clamping bolts first?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Did you get the bb out?

Nope can't even get the cranks off, the little plastic screw is so tight, I have the Park Tool BBT-9 as well, but no longer any skin on my left thumb.

+1 for what Nick said. And use tea towel when fiddling with the plastic cap.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Did you get the bb out?

+1 for what Nick said. And use tea towel when fiddling with the plastic cap.

Yep tried that after taking a chunk out of my hand, no joy.
  • itboffin
    LBS undid the screw, many thanks yet again. My repeat business is assured.

I've cleaned and lubed everything but the bearings unsurprisingly feel stiff, I have a brand new Dura Ace 7900 BB which looks the same in every respect I might put that in.

I've also swapped my compact 50/34T crankset for a double 53/39T, any recommendations for a new cassette (HOTA compatible) would be much appreciated.
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    I pretty much have the same problem, but worse...i'm kinda of screwed...here comes:

I bought my 07 spesh sirrus about 2 years ago and upgraded to tiagra compact with hollowtech II bb cups after a while, it was all fitted by Evans. All was fine and I was happy until...2 days ago I stripped the bb cups with a parktool BBT-9 and the non-drive side cup was unusually tight but the drive side one was fine and easy. After some effort, the tight one came off but it pulled the threads inside the frame with it. I spoke to my lbs (not Evans) today and they said whoever installed it probably forgot to put grease/antiseize to the damaged side. They also said it is impossible to re-thread the frame.

Now, the frame is ruined and the cups were fitted like 2 years ago and I obviously don't have the receipe anymore. After checking with Evans, they said they don't have my service record anymore. So who is going to get me a new frame? Will they even believe that the cups were fitted by them?

Help please!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You can probably salvage the frame with a helicoil... Depends how badly you stripped them.
  • akcc05
    will re-threading work? the lbs said mass produced frames like the sirrus won't have enough material around the bb for re-threading. they also said if i'm annoying enough and be an extreme pain to the evans manager than they might consider giving me a new frame. afterall it's evans and those managers don't care, plus it's a spesh who, according to most, have excellent aftersales services in the UK. the manager is in tomorrow morning so i'm preparing a strategy to get myself a new frame, hopefully.
  • redvee
    Argos, amongst other frame builders can ream and sleeve the BB. Last time I looked on their site it was £60.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd hassle evans first then. Only if they are absolutely not going to give you a new frame is it worth seriously looking at new options.
  • akcc05
    thanks guys, really appreaciate you replies. hopefully i will get a new frame, if not i'm not sure if it is worth re-threading at £60. i will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. i'm kind of hijacking someone else's thread aren't i?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    akcc05 wrote:
    thanks guys, really appreaciate you replies. hopefully i will get a new frame, if not i'm not sure if it is worth re-threading at £60. i will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. i'm kind of hijacking someone else's thread aren't i?

How did it go? If you haven't got the receipt, did you pay by credit card by any chance and it would be on your credit card bill?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • akcc05
    i had a good chat with the manager and he seemed really nice and understanding. we agreed on bringing in the frame and have look at it on monday. he did say that if it comes out bad, he would talk to specialized and see what he can arrange. i did say i only wanted a new frame without fork, not even 09, 07 or 08 will be fine.

will give another update on monday.
  • akcc05
    they somehow managed to re-thread the bb and fitted it for free so i'm happy. i think it's better than getting a new frame, i actually prefer my own, even with all its chips and scratches, this faithful frame of mine has done a lot of tough london miles. the manager said if there is any issues with the bb, i can take it back. well at least i know there is something to fall onto if it isn't fixed permanently. thanks evans! and thanks guys for the help here!