Which road bike to purchase

ferrets
ferrets Posts: 12
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi new to the forum just wondered if someone could give me advice re .. purchasing a road bike have always had a mountain bike for pleasure nothing serious but now I want to seriously start road riding/racing what I would like to know is ...My budget is around 1500 any recomendations on which bike and where to start looking thankyou

Comments

• Have a look at Planet X excellent value - especially if you build it up yourself. Your budget will give enough left over for some uper racing wheels as well.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Hi, i think a lot of the forumites are sick o this question lol,
    anyhoo have a look at this beaut:
    http://www.questbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Sp ... ffers.html
    Seems an absolute steal plus will leave you a fair wad of cash for things you dont like, new stuff, cycling clothes etc etc
  • The GT GTR series 2 looks good with carbon forks and seat stays - anything known against?
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If it's your first road bike I'd think twice about buying over the Internet, given you sound like you want to do a lot of miles it's important you get something that fits right. For your budget I'd go for a carbon frame & forks and something like a 105 groupset and save the rest for stuff for all the other kit. Personally I went for a Specialized Roubaix Elite but there's dozens of quality bikes around for your budget so try a few and find what suits you best.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Wilier Izoard - Lasy years model £1499 at cyclesurgery or £1599 (105) at epic cycles - this is what I am saving for.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    £1500 is double what I paid for my Trek 1.7, so you are out of my league. As well as 'what bike ...' this forum is littered with posts saying 'got the wrong size ...' At that money, you going to want to try them out, surely?