Little accident this morning

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
I was cycling along the bus lane with queued traffic to my right. A car pulls off the main road and in through the cars and right across me I slam the breaks on but I still hit the side of her car and flop onto the bonnet as I nearly managed to stop. The police were there and exchanged our details, they explained what the process was and what to do.

She’s got a pun powered brake hood shaped dent in her wing and my hood was shifted a bit which was easily straightened, the wheel was turned out of line from the handlebars a little but I corrected that with a few whacks. I’m fine.

We’ll see if she tries to claim. I can only assume I’m not to blame in terms of insurance?

Also some CTC details would be handy, I feel it's time I supported them, been on my to do list for a while.
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/

...best thing you could do is join...sorry to hear of your accident, hope you are okay...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • pintoo
    pintoo Posts: 145
    Sorry to hear about that.

Hopefully, she's not insured by LV.
  • Sorry to hear about this CP. You may well feel OK now, but give it 24hours for any impact damage to your slight (!) and ever so slightly (if I may say) weedy (!!) frame to show itself.

Is this right? You were on the major road. She was on the major road going the other way. She did a right turn across your side of the road into a minor road (or tried to).

Something similar happened to my mother when driving a few years ago: she was in the r/hand lane of a two lane major road. Queued traffic in the l/hand lane; r/hand lane moving quite freely. A car in the queue let another car out of a minor road (the minor road car wanted to turn right onto the major road). Minor road car bursts out across both lanes and slams into mother. Police verdict: it was the fault of the minor road car. When joining the major road it is his job to ensure that both lanes he has to cross, and the lane he joins, are all clear.

Not directly on point, but I'd say that she was at fault in not giving way to traffic in the bus lane (ie you) as she crossed it.

Spen666 will no doubt be along in a moment or two...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    If I am reading you correctly then it sounds like you are totally in the right. I am assuming that she was either coming from the opposite direction and turning right through the stationary cars or heading straight across from a side road. Sounds like she just didn't check carefully enough before pulling into the bus lane i.e. probably just looked for buses and nothing else. The stationary cars probably obscured her view quite a lot in which case she should have edged out slowly which would have give you some warning and allowed her to eventaully see before totally closing the gap.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Clever Pun
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sorry to hear about this CP. You may well feel OK now, but give it 24hours for any impact damage to your slight (!) and ever so slightly (if I may say) weedy (!!) frame to show itself.

Is this right? You were on the major road. She was on the major road going the other way. She did a right turn across your side of the road into a minor road (or tried to).
    </snip>
    Not directly on point, but I'd say that she was at fault in not giving way to traffic in the bus lane (ie you) as she crossed it.

Spen666 will no doubt be along in a moment or two...

Cheers pintoo and thanks for the link ChrisLS

yes that's right you've got it old greg I've got a slight ding on my ankle and I looked like a gimp as I tried to untangle myself afterwards... mental anguish?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    mental anguish?

Hmm. Possibly.

Is there *any way* you can show a connection between this incident and the State of California? I think that would help your case a lot. :D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Surprised to hear the car is only dented! Glad you're ok fella. Sounds to me like it's all her fault.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    No one would ever question whose fault it was if she'd done the same thing to a bus, or even another car for that matter. As far as I'm aware the size of vehicle has no bearing on right of way, so I'm pretty sure she's completely to blame for not checking the lane was clear.

Similar thing happened to me eighteen months ago, when a car turned right through a gap left for them by a bus. Absolutely no way either of us could have seen the other, but fortunately she (told you it was similar) got across infront of me. If I'd have been a quarter of a second earlier I'm convinced it would've been messy, I was probably doing 20mph plus at the time.

Good work with the bonnet dent, hopefully she'll keep it as a reminder.
  • Clever Pun
    _Brun_ wrote:
    No one would ever question whose fault it was if she'd done the same thing to a bus, or even another car for that matter. As far as I'm aware the size of vehicle has no bearing on right of way, so I'm pretty sure she's completely to blame for not checking the lane was clear.

Similar thing happened to me eighteen months ago, when a car turned right through a gap left for them by a bus. Absolutely no way either of us could have seen the other, but fortunately she (told you it was similar) got across infront of me. If I'd have been a quarter of a second earlier I'm convinced it would've been messy, I was probably doing 20mph plus at the time.

Good work with the bonnet dent, hopefully she'll keep it as a reminder.

heh cheers, yep the car was brand new too...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Glad you're not hurt dude!

Stay Frosty!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Glad you're not hurt dude!

Stay Frosty!

so am I..cheers
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    mental anguish?

Hmm. Possibly.

Is there *any way* you can show a connection between this incident and the State of California? I think that would help your case a lot. :D

PTSD?

Glad you're ok, CP. If you haven't already, make a detailed note of what happened, what was said after the incident, together with a drawing of your positioning on the road, location of impact etc. The driver is not on her side of the road and, I would have thought, be obliged to give way to, and keep a proper look out for (taking into account the fact that her bonnet is potentially in the way of traffic she may not be able to see), oncoming traffic.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I was cycling along the bus lane with queued traffic to my right. A car pulls off the main road and in through the cars and right across me I slam the breaks on but I still hit the side of her car and flop onto the bonnet as I nearly managed to stop. The police were there and exchanged our details, they explained what the process was and what to do.

She’s got a pun powered brake hood shaped dent in her wing and my hood was shifted a bit which was easily straightened, the wheel was turned out of line from the handlebars a little but I corrected that with a few whacks. I’m fine.

We’ll see if she tries to claim. I can only assume I’m not to blame in terms of insurance?

Also some CTC details would be handy, I feel it's time I supported them, been on my to do list for a while.

Sounds like you won a fight with a car! Chapeau!

p.s. nasty, glad you are ok.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sympathy cp - glad you're ok - sounds like it was entirely her fault - mental anguish sounds good :wink:
  • Closest I saw to this was here http://www.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=52.644963,1.275954&spn=0.001195,0.002403&t=h&z=19

Car coming from the RAB down Mile Cross Road wanting to turn into Valpy Avenue. Car queuing towards RAB flashed moving car over. Performed turn into Valpy Ave but bicycle travelling down pavment away from RAB collided with their front wing, over bonnet, blood everywhere & twisted bike.

This was not similar to you in that the cyclist was on the pavement and ignoring the pavement bike lane anyway. Car should have seen them but the cyclist was being stupid as well. Probably a 50:50.

Your case seems much more clear - you were where you were meant to be and the car wasn't. Glad you are Ok. :)
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • Clever Pun
    Update

They called me and want me to pay the £200 costs... ouch... I said I don't believe I was in the wrong and please go through your insurance... they didn't like that and offered to go halves on the whole thing

She said she stopped when she saw me, that's when I hit her as she was blocking the bus lane.... they're saying it's my fault, I just said let the insurance people decide that as you'd have never made the turn if I was a bus. hearts going 100 miles an hour now.

They also went on about adequate stopping distance... with nothing in front of me is that valid? I wasn't gunning it but going fairly fast probably about 20mph??

£200 that's a lesson right there...

oh yes as she hung up I heard her say ignorant fu<ker to her bloke :lol: tut tut
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Update

They called me and want me to pay the £200 costs... ouch... I said I don't believe I was in the wrong and please go through your insurance... they didn't like that and offered to go halves on the whole thing

She said she stopped when she saw me, that's when I hit her as she was blocking the bus lane.... they're saying it's my fault, I just said let the insurance people decide that as you'd have never made the turn if I was a bus. hearts going 100 miles an hour now.

They also went on about adequate stopping distance... with nothing in front of me is that valid? I wasn't gunning it but going fairly fast probably about 20mph??

£200 that's a lesson right there...

oh yes as she hung up I heard her say ignorant fu<ker to her bloke :lol: tut tut

That is hilarious - she does'nt have a leg to stand on!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Clever Pun wrote:

They also went on about adequate stopping distance... /quote]

To cater for the possibilty that someone cuts across your direction of travel? Hmm. That doesn't sound right. She's decided to stick her bonnet in the path of oncoming traffic, which she can't see.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...CP, you need the CTC legal department...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I'd report it to the police, before she does and you get busted for leaving the scene of a accident or not reporting.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I'd report it to the police, before she does and you get busted for leaving the scene of a accident or not reporting.
    I was going to say that, but if you look at the first post you'll see that the police attended the scene, so I doubt there's a requirement to do that now.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I was going to say that, but if you look at the first post you'll see that the police attended the scene, so I doubt there's a requirement to do that now.

Sorry, did read the OP earlier, and forgot about that :oops:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Clever Pun
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...CP, you need the CTC legal department...

do you think? they'll go through their insurance if they choose to claim and then I put them in touch with the CTC insurance ...is that right?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    That is a bad one mate, glad you are ok there though
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    As they are takin the p!ss i'd be sorely tempted to try and claim for any damage to your bike/injury Pearsons have a bike friendly solicitor on their site might be worth a look.

Unless they're insured with norwich union then don't claim and give them the money so I get a bonus in march!!! :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    they are cheeky bar stewards.....

did the police at the scene say anything? try to contact them and get a copy of what their notes say....

are you REALLY sure there is no damage to your FULL CARBON FRAME....their thought about halfsies might suddenly change if they have to pay half of a new frame.

seriously...i hope you were restrained enough not to call her a cheeky cow....let them claim their insurance..... then if you hear anything from them...get legal advice. wouldn't hurt to get some informal advice now, but until they actually contact you properly....it might be a waste of time,
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Good to hear you are realtively undamaged. This has nearly happened to me a couple of times. I would say that it is the car drivers responsibility to make sure the way is clear in all lanes before crossing.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    linoue wrote:
    Good to hear you are realtively undamaged. This has nearly happened to me a couple of times. I would say that it is the car drivers responsibility to make sure the way is clear in all lanes before crossing.
    +1
    Highway code rule 211 also has something to say: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069858

Edit: and in general rules 179-181
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    John ginge that is ace I might print that out and carry it with me on my bike :D

Chapeau as they say around these parts
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Cheeky moo moo....you should be seeking damages from her!

Hope you're ok tomorrow as I suspect that's when you'll really start to feel it...

Did the police indicate fault or just take down details?
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.