Shorter stem size???

Baytt
Baytt Posts: 102
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
hi

ive got a 56cm orbea onix, its fitted with a 110mm stem,

when im on the hoods i feel a bit to stretched out and after some time on the bike can get sore hands, specifically the piece in between my index finger and my thumb.

im 5ft 10ish, could i get away with shortening the stem at all?

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    The reach to your bars is governed by the length of your frame's top tube as well as stem length. The resulting reach needs to suit you build (arm length as well as height) and preference. Therefore it is impossible to say if 110 is too long for your height. The most common problem with excessive reach is back problems. The sore hands problem might be solved by wearing better gloves. If you still think the reach is too great, it might help if you raise the bars as much as possible by removing any spacers from above your stem and putting them below it. Failing that, can you borrow a shorter stem from someone to try it.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Another thought. A "classic" test for stem length is to place your left elbow against the front of your saddle with fingers straight. Put your right hand flat so it is touching your LH finger tips at right angles to it (a T shape). The theory is that the outside of your right hand should line up with the centre of your bars. Personally I find this too much of a stretch. The centre of my bars line up with my third finger. I don't think you can take any of these "rules" too literally but at least it's a starting point.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Were you measured / fitted for the bike? How long have you been riding it?

Sounds like you have too much weight on your hands. Can you flip the stem to raise the bars as well as moving the spacers?

Is your saddle fore / aft position correct? The little lump below your kneecap should be vertically over the pedal spindle when the pedal is at 3 o'clock.