Cracked tooth

dsmiff
dsmiff Posts: 741
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
Set out this morning, a bit icy but no worse than normal I thought, just started turning out of my easte then bang, front wheel slips out and I end up smacking my face into the pavement.

Going to book into the denist this morning if I can, big chip in front tooth!
http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff

Comments

• gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    :shock: :shock:

oh no, hope they can polly filler it back together ok, why are the slow accidents always the worst!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ouch, did something similar as a kid... that hurts.

did your mouth break your fall? is the rest of you ok?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Eek.

I did that about 14 years ago. Fell off and bit the kerb. :shock:

Lucky for me I had a prescription exemption certificate cos I was a poor student, and got my tooth crowned for free. Thanks, taxpayers :lol:
  • dsmiff
    Booked into dentist (I have a cronic fear of denists!) tommorow, I've got a big chip in one of my teeth and on the other the enamle had chipped off so hopefully will be an easy repair. I have a dental plan in work so should not cost too much

Hurt my hip as well, my elbow is just starting to hurt and worse of all I've ripped my new Gore-tex jacket!!!!!

Bit fed up as it's always hard to get back into the commute after christmas and I had not missed a day in the last 2 weeks - will ride tommorow hopefully (if it's not icy!!).
  • I had a nice ride in, took the canal tow-path route. Saw two herons, sun was up, all was well.

Last part of the journey is on the road, cautiously took a bend near a school, and whack - went down heavy on my knee and shoulder.

Damn black ice.

I'm sore now, going to be sorer tomorrow.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    gert_lush wrote:
    :shock: :shock:

oh no, hope they can polly filler it back together ok, why are the slow accidents always the worst!
    I can assure you that this is not the case.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Ouch...

I came off on the way in to work this morning as well. Luckily no harm done. Hope your tooth is easily fixable.

I'm wondering if anyone makes a studded commuting ice-tyre :shock:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Should I do my preachy bit about not cycling when there's black ice again? Would that be helpful?
  • don_don
    biondino wrote:
    Should I do my preachy bit about not cycling when there's black ice again? Would that be helpful?

Yes, possibly, in a "I told you so" sort of a way :wink:
  • don_don wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Um, yes. With a big sigh beforehand, and one hand on your hip and the other wagging a finger. :wink:

I think that would help a lot. Especially after the event. :D:D:D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    studded tyres are awesome on the ice, but tbh i just take my mtb with big (2.1") slicks. It's stable enough that I can recover most slides, even front wheel ones and it doesn't go as fast.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Greg66 wrote:
    don_don wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Um, yes. With a big sigh beforehand, and one hand on your hip and the other wagging a finger. :wink:

I think that would help a lot. Especially after the event. :D:D:D

We speak the same language, Mr 66 :)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I nearly had 3 gigantic crashes this morning, but due to me being an incredibly skilled rider (with a somewhat inflated ego) I was able to recover them all.

1. Hit some ice turning right. Both wheels slid, a quick dab of my foot on the road sorted it out.
    2. 30mph down a hill, some lights turned red. I braked, the front wheel went sideways, I stopped braking, recovered it and still managed to stop in time for the lights.
    3. Locked up the back wheel on some frost, bike went fully sideways, I saved it without even unclipping.
  • don_don
    whyamihere wrote:
    3. Locked up the back wheel on some frost, bike went fully sideways, I saved it without even unclipping.

I'm wet with admiration

:wink:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    :D

Oh yes, and all of this was after talking to Simonb256 of this forum, on the phone after he'd come off on ice. He has a broken wrist, so send healing vibes to him everyone.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    whyamihere wrote:
    I nearly had 3 gigantic crashes this morning, but due to me being an incredibly skilled rider (with a somewhat inflated ego) I was able to recover them all.

1. Hit some ice turning right. Both wheels slid, a quick dab of my foot on the road sorted it out.
    2. 30mph down a hill, some lights turned red. I braked, the front wheel went sideways, I stopped braking, recovered it and still managed to stop in time for the lights.

wish i had your skills, didnt even get out my road, felt front tyre skid, recovered that, then the back went then i thought oh s@#t and bike went from underneath me and i landed on my lower back, god its killing me like mad, then as i knew it wouldnt be icy when i left work pushed my bike all the way to work, only to fall over again, black ice is poo

on ride home not sure if due to wet and cold roads felt icy, my bike is worse off after i threw it on the floor or it was just me paranoid, will check bike over on friday when off work
  • i fell off last coz i was going too slow. i was trying out a short cut on a bridle-way that may save a few miles. anyway it's way to steep, icy, slushy. was granny gearing then hits slush, lost momentum, starting falling couldn't unclip, bit of tv skitt show moment, till i grazed some barbed wire on way down. moral of the story....don't try new tracks in the dark or alone...could have been nasty.

cheers
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • dsmiff
    Teeth now fixed, :D good old NHS dentist. You can no longer see the chunck that was missing I was amazed, hope it doesn't fall out! It hurt more than the fall as well.

Still sore everywhere else and I'm sorry for all the others that had problems on the ice.

Learnt a hard lesson, I've riden on what I thought were icy roads before but not onto a big sheet of ice! If you hit black ice there is nothing you can do about it (except maybe how to fall better!).