stiffee or handjob XD

norco forever
norco forever Posts: 1,177
edited February 2009 in MTB buying advice
basically i'm building up a hardcore trail bike just for messing around local woods on no jumps or big drops i've an orange msisle and identiti 666x for that but my bike question is which of the following to have

Frame Cove Stiffee
Forks Marzocchi Shiver
Brakes Hayes trail carbons
hubs pro2
Rims DT SWiss 5.1
Cranks SLX
f Mech SLX
R mech XT
shifters SLX
Bars easton havoc
Stem easton vice
Headset Chis King
Pedals DMR V8
Cassette Saint

OR for very similar money
Frame Cove handjob
Forks Marzocchi shiver's
Brakes Hayes stroker carbon's
Hub's Pro2
Rims Dt Swiss 5.1's
Cranks XT
F Mech XTR
R Mech XTR
Shifters XTR
Headset Chris King
Bars easton EA70
Stem Easton Vice
Cassette XT

for general trail use which would be better?
If you aint in A&E, you aint riding hard enough

http://identiti4lfe.pinkbike.com/album/Scott-Ransom

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    My no 1 choice for a general mess around do anything bike would probably be an SC Chameleon...
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • yeah but they are so common i guess part of me would love something a little bit different plus i've ridden both a handjob, stiffee and chameleon and both cove's stood head and shoulders above the santa cruz, both cove's were built with an AM spec

• Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Pardon my ignorance, but what travel are the shivers?
    The handjob runs nice at about 100, whilst the stiffee is suited to something longer, around 140mm.

The handjobs probably more of an XC machine too, so it depends what you mean by "messing around"
    huge all day rides? handjob
    hard hitting small loops? stiffee

Just my opinion.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • it will be general all day rides nothing huge as i said i've got another few bikes for that i guess its gonna be an xc/lLIGHT AM machine

the shivers run at 120mm so in the middle of both frames capabilities, the handjob is rated to 130mm and stiffee for whatever i think lol

• Torres
    Well then, looks like the handjob's about right then.
    I take it you don't fancy a full sus then? Might push your budget, but will take the sting out of any all day epics you've got planned.
  • i've considered a full suss but can't justify it not really as this bike will be used for commuting as well as trail duties a full suss would slow me down plus i love hardtails always have :) i'll be entering some 24h events so i thought the more xc oreintated hand job would be perfect plus the lower frame cost leaves me that little bit more to get the xtr shadow mech, shifters and f mech

• Torres
    Seems to me like you've made your mind up then mate :wink:
  • it would appear that way i just wanted someone to tell me that the handjob would be tough enough and isn't just a weight weenie XC exclusive rig Lol

• As the name suggests I have a Handjob and can say it'll be more than capable, I have RockShox Pike 426 forks, Thomson Elite Stem and Seatpost, with XTR front/rear mech and XT shifters.

I have taken it to Afan down the Black run on White's level, on the 48km Skyline trail and over to the Dual Slalom, 4X courses and freeride area at Chicksands Bike park and it has handled everything with aplomb.

I can't recommend the Handjob enough and absolutley love mine, the ride after coming from a harsh alu bike is also a good enoug reason to buy one, feels strong and rigid yet skips over bumps and rocks with a subtle flex for comfort.

Buy one, you won't regret it! :lol:
  • brownix
    brownix Posts: 115
    are the shivers dual crown

why not save some weight and buy some pikes or 44 ata (i think thats what their called)
  • BlackSpur
    Shivers are SC. Quite an old fork aren't they?
  • HandjobDan wrote:
    As the name suggests I have a Handjob

....Oh!.....That's why you're called HandjobDan! :wink:
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    HandjobDan wrote:
    As the name suggests I have a Handjob and can say it'll be more than capable, I have RockShox Pike 426 forks, Thomson Elite Stem and Seatpost, with XTR front/rear mech and XT shifters.

I have taken it to Afan down the Black run on White's level, on the 48km Skyline trail and over to the Dual Slalom, 4X courses and freeride area at Chicksands Bike park and it has handled everything with aplomb.

I can't recommend the Handjob enough and absolutley love mine, the ride after coming from a harsh alu bike is also a good enoug reason to buy one, feels strong and rigid yet skips over bumps and rocks with a subtle flex for comfort.

Buy one, you won't regret it! :lol:

Freaky - you appear to have the exact same bike as me!

I'd second the above, if you're not after serious airtime then go for the Handjob...
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Handjob for sure, I built one up in december with U-turn Rev's all race face finishing kit n' cranks, Mavic 321 wheels.

It's brilliant for trail riding adn Xc duties
  • yeah the shiver's are SC and are relatively old as in 2002 though they;ve just been serviced, i've decided these as they feel just so plush however in the future is likely a set of fox talas 32's will appear on the front end XD

• I'm building up a Stiffee with 454 air's in a month or 2. Should be a great all day trail rig. Weight wise it'll only be around 26/27 which is awesome for a bike that strong.

Rest of the spec will be

Ex5.1 on xt hubs
    hone cranks
    xt f+r mech
    xt shifter
    sram 990 cassette
    RF atlas finishing kit

Would like to get that KS Cobra i900 aswell but cant seem to find them anywhere!
  • iv just built up a Cove stiffee frame and cant believe how light and strong it is,spec;

Frame Cove Stiffee
    Forks Revelation 426 09
    Shimano XT 185 mm
    hubs pro2
    Rims DT SWiss 5.1
    Cranks XT
    f Mech XT
    R mech XTR
    shifters XT
    Bars Race face Atlas
    Stem Race frace Atlas
    Headset Hope
    Pedals DMR V12
    Cassette XT

is more expensive to build it up yourself from scratch but is worth it in the long run. :D
    Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 & a cove stiffee
  • BlackSpur

Would like to get that KS Cobra i900 aswell but cant seem to find them anywhere!

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=37&osCsid=36dd9d652fe680a0a9ef75cf9db2d4a0
  • Got my frame yesterday start building next week.............
    Spec as follows
    15.5 hjob 09 white just body sealing paintwork
    Raceface deus seat post bar stem and hset
    xt crank f+r deraliur shifters
    slx cass
    sram 991 chain
    hayes v7 stroker trail brakes
    marzochi bombers xc pro lo
    wtb silverado saddle
    wtb speed disc
    dt swiss 370 hubs
    maxis medusa tyres now.... spring fire xc pro
    should go like a rocket :D
  • I'm building up a Stiffee with 454 air's in a month or 2. Should be a great all day trail rig. Weight wise it'll only be around 26/27 which is awesome for a bike that strong.

Rest of the spec will be

Ex5.1 on xt hubs
    hone cranks
    xt f+r mech
    xt shifter
    sram 990 cassette
    RF atlas finishing kit

Dont think any of the adjustable seatposts are available in 30mm are they? Unless it'll take a 30.9mm
  • Yeh true. Hopefully they will release a 27.2 version, could use a shim then. Cant imagine why they dont have a 27.2

Isnt it the most popular seatpost size?
  • Just thought I'd add to this after seeing on in the flesh today. Never have I been so underwhelmed at the sight of a bike. £600 frame and its stickered up instead of painted logos and the paint was terrible. Not sure I can bring myself to part with so much cash for something so substandard regardless of how well it rides.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Just thought I'd add to this after seeing on in the flesh today. Never have I been so underwhelmed at the sight of a bike. £600 frame and its stickered up instead of painted logos and the paint was terrible. Not sure I can bring myself to part with so much cash for something so substandard regardless of how well it rides.

The weld quality is fantastic as it the build quality.

Can't believe you think the paint is not up to scratch either, for a low volume bike it's superb
  • Mate just read through your messages and couldn't agree with you more when you said about getting something different i couldn't agree more ,who wants something straight off the peg.
    I ride a Hustler now but have had both a Stiffee and a Handjob and for what you want it for go for the Handjob and you wont regret it , however i would say throw some Formula brake on your rig and have some real stopping power when chucking your bike around the singletrack
    P.S Im really the COVE ranger (yes i am)
    You may now tell your mates you have now met him