Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2009

RedGreenBaron
RedGreenBaron Posts: 232
Due to popular demand (well 3 of us anyway) herewith the new RP3 thread.
Actually, given we finished 08 with 83 (that's eighty-three) recorded times (http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=495) I feel confident there should be some interest (also explains why the park is always so damn full these days).

Guidelines:
1. 3 continuous laps of RP, anti- or clock-wise (or a mixture), with the general view that anti is easier/safer.
2. Start, rolling or standing, where you like and finish at the same place.
3. KEEP IT SAFE. Squeezing through that gap might make all the difference in beating your PB, but far better you live to fight another day and improve even more. In the red mist of the 3rd lap it is VERY easy to forget this and indeed to annoy the hell out of other RP users. To this end, attempts are best made very early at the weekend, mid-morning/mid-afternoon during the week and just before dusk.
4. Given '3' above, feel free to comment on the traffic, suicidal deer or even the horrendous westerly. The reader can adjust his/her impression of the time and it might dissuade you from roundabout madness.
5. Most of us try to avoid drafting. You might not be able to help it in traffic, but you'll be losing more from the traffic than you're gaining anyway.
6. Feel free to mention in the entry: your bike (TT/shopper etc), your weight (seems to be a tradition) and even your 'type of rider' (sportive, racer, audax, tri); and perhaps your aim for the year in the text.
7. Please add your post to the previous list, and try to make sure you use the most recent list, so we don't lose entries. Remove your old entry and put your new one in time order, maybe emboldened for easy viewing.

Here's a starter - first poster please replace
Anon......................anti........74kg.......69:59......Jan..........Elite Racer, bmx
'My aim for 2009 is to remove the stabilisers and electric motor from my bike.'

Hope this inspires a few more people to new highs, as I'm sure it did over the last couple of years. My favourite part of it is to watch the progress of others over the year, whether from 90 to 65, or from 52 to 49. The actual times are almost irrelevant.

Nick

Comments

• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Good effort I will have a go at this in the next couple of weeks :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    OK, I'll post a time that's easy to beat!

toontra......................anti........74kg.......65:52......Jan..........Touring

Damn, I've lost 5 minutes since last summer, but there was a significant SW wind today and it was bloody cold.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Good on ya Toontra for getting the ball rolling.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    toontra......................anti........74kg.......65:52......Jan..........Touring
    itboffin......................2 clock/1 anti.......86kg......70:46......Jan.......

7 mins slower than last year :oops:

I'll get me coat...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    edited January 2009
    Name.......................Direction....Weight.....Time......Month.....TOP
    Toontra........................Anti............74kg........65.53.....Jan........Touring
    itboffin.........................C2/A1.........86kg........70.46....Jan...........

Cool its back!! TOP= Type of Rider
    60 mins is the benchmark
    Good luck and wish everyone a good year especially if you're even a vaguely competitively cyclist :D
  • itboffin
    Toks wrote:
    Toontra........................Anti............74kg........70.46...Jan........Touring
    itboffin.........................C2/A1.........86kg........65.52...Jan........

Cool its back. TOP= Type of Rider
    60 mins is the benchmark
    Good luck and wish everyone a good year especially if you're cycling.

I think you might have switched our times :lol:

Toontra........................Anti............74kg........65.52...Jan........Touring
    itboffin.........................C2/A1.........86kg........70.46...Jan........SCR
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Well done itBoffin. I hope you're going to act as guardian of the thread and make sure naughty posters don't get lazy and start placing their times separately and not in the column etc. I need to run a three lap test so should post at the weekend before the London Dynamo boys and girls do their thing :D
  • First crack taking advantage of surprisingly sunny weather today. Still a bit blowy on the long drag, but overall pretty good conditions.
    Name.......................Direction. ...Weight.. ...Time.....Month.....TOR
    RedGreenBaron .......Anti ...........70kg.......57:40.....Jan......Sportive
    Toontra........................Anti............74kg........65.52... Jan.......Touring
    itboffin.........................C2/A1.........86kg........70.46... Jan.......SCR
    A target for Toks......
    This year's aim is 55
  • First attempt this year. Need to do more of this 1hr tempo stuff.
    LuckyPierre................Anti..............82kg.......62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Toontra........................Anti............74kg........65.52... Jan.......Touring
    itboffin.........................C2/A1.........86kg........70.46... Jan.......SCR

Very windy and a few traffic dead stops. Previous PB in the 58's. Want a sub-55 this year.
  • Chirg
    Chirg Posts: 141
    Forgot about this so wasn't pushing for a good time, but really happy that my fastest three consecutive laps of today were....

LuckyPierre................Anti..............82kg.......62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Chirg...........................Anti..............78kg.......62.42.....Jan......Commuter
  • I'd seen this tread mid last year but some how never really found the time :wink:

But I needed a fitness bench mark for the beginning of the year, so off I went at lunchtime.

Abit of traffic, had to stop briefly at a roundabout, otherwise a clear(ish) run

Stumpy75 .................Anti .............78kg........59.66 ....Jan..... MTB (masters)
    Chirg...........................Anti..............78kg.......62.42.....Jan......Commuter
  • Chirg
    Isn't 59.66 actually 60.06 Stumpy?
  • didn't I say we were using the new decimal time system?

Stumpy - was that actually done on your mtb? Impressive stuff whether 59.66 or indeed 60.06.
  • Sorry guys you've lost me with the decimal timing thingy?

And no that was on my road bike, but I might give it a bash one day on the mtb.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    stumpy75 wrote:
    Sorry guys you've lost me with the decimal timing thingy?
    Chirg wrote:
    Isn't 59.66 actually 60.06 Stumpy?
    Get it now?

59.66 = 'decimal' (they're having a joke with you on the decimal thing because...)
    60.06 = what 59.66 really is... :lol: :roll:
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    I'm so glad to see this challenge being posted again! I didn't look into the forums last year so definitely want to give it a bash this time around :D
  • itboffin
    I can see i'm going to have to post a considerably better time :oops: or produce a fantastic list of excuses and a letter from my mum :oops:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:
    I can see i'm going to have to post a considerably better time :oops: or produce a fantastic list of excuses and a letter from my mum :oops:

Using more than one gear usually helps. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Chirg
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I seem to remember than 60 minutes or less was a good time and that is my target this year, but seriously what would the comparable time be for a fixed?
  • cjcp
    Chirg wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I seem to remember than 60 minutes or less was a good time and that is my target this year, but seriously what would the comparable time be for a fixed?

Yep, 60 minutes is regarded as being the target to aim for, but I don't know what the time would be for a fixed. Suppose it depends on what gear you run.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Shaved-legs nearly beat my time last year - him on a fixed, me on a normal - and that time was just over 61 minutes. Shaved legs is very, very quick...

Hopefully that provides a bit of a measure.
  • cjcp
    London-Red wrote:
    Shaved-legs nearly beat my time last year - him on a fixed, me on a normal - and that time was just over 61 minutes. Shaved legs is very, very quick...

Hopefully that provides a bit of a measure.

Yep, he's a sub-50 man.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • thanks for pointing out the error in my math adding up my lap times...

(the effort was part of a longer training ride, )

Going back over the data and I've update the time..... saves me a few seconds (bonus!) :P

Stumpy75 ..............Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)

in case anyone is interested that run also has a few extra stats..

Average Power: 284watts
    Max Power: 1203watts
    Av HR: 179bpm
    Av Cadence: 95rpm
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    itboffin wrote:

I'd say 60 minutes on gears would be roughly equivalent to somewhere just under 70 minutes on fixed.

This is based on one 62 minute ride on the geared bike compared to my best fixed time of 68 minutes something and adjusting for the difference in fitness levels (I was fitter when I put the fixed laps in).

However, my fixed is steel and not a slither of baked soot that weighs next to nothing. <insert more excuses here>

With the right conditions I'd hope to get down to under 65 minutes on fixed this year, just as I hope to get under 55 minutes on a carbon bike with lots of gears. Problem is most of my training is aimed towards distance not speed as I do lots of Audaxes. I can maintain 68 minute 3-laps for hours.

Gear is 67" (46x18 on 25mm tyres).

Hopefully having a go this evening on the way back from work, in the dark and the rain, with rucksack so look out for the new name at the bottom of the table later on. If I can be arsed...

[EDIT] Lager, sofa and football on Sky won the battle against the rain and the park.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Chirg
    Greenbank wrote:
    I'd say 60 minutes on gears would be roughly equivalent to somewhere just under 70 minutes on fixed.

Thanks Greenbank. I will add 3 laps fixed in under 70 minutes to my list of this years challenges!
  • stumpy75 wrote:

Hi there Stumpy. Intriguing stats.
    My eyes bulged already at the 179bpm average, but a quick check suggests 1203watts puts you on a par with Chris Hoy. :shock:
  • stumpy75 wrote:

Hi there Stumpy. Intriguing stats.
    My eyes bulged already at the 179bpm average, but a quick check suggests 1203watts puts you on a par with Chris Hoy. :shock:

Think you'll find Sir Chris can push out >2000W for a sprint...
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Stumpy - was that run on an MTB? if so thats pretty damn impressive! I managed 62 minutes on my slicked MTB last year, but then bettered it by 4 minutes instantly on the roadie and never improved on it due to exploring the Surrey Hills and meeting a nice bunch of riding mates through this forum,.

I am getting the MTB fixed again soon, so perhaps I will get it out again and see if I can crack the magic 60 minute barrier - though those power figures on your run seem out of reach to me at least on any basis other than instantaneous.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • POD1
    POD1 Posts: 15
    5 months since my last effort, 7kg heavier but pleasantly surprised to still beat the hour. My silly wife had twins and my time on the bike has been severly curtailed - who knew they would take up so much time and would have such a deleterious effect on one's fitness!

RedGreenBaron ....Anti .............70kg........57:40.....Jan......Sportive
    Stumpy75 ..............Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    POD........................Anti .............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    LuckyPierre............Anti..............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Chirg.......................Anti..............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    Toontra...................Anti..............74kg........65.52.....Jan......Touring
    itboffin....................C2/A1...........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
  • First attempt of the year yesterday. Fitted a new carbon seat post the day before which provided a somewhat modest weight saving over the OE carbon seatpost which came with the bike! However all thoughts of meagre weight advantages (compared with the less than modest outlay in cash) were soon banished when I noted my time. An incredible(!) one minute saved over my best time from 2008. Never has a 12g weight drop resulted in such instantaneous results.

Anyway, my delerium was soon quelled when I noticed that I was once again propping up the foot of the table. Oh well, a fun time had.

RedGreenBaron .......Anti .............70kg........57:40.....Jan......Sportive
    Stumpy75 .................Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    POD...........................Anti .............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    LuckyPierre...............Anti..............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Chirg..........................Anti..............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    Toontra......................Anti..............74kg........65.52.....Jan......Touring
    itboffin.......................C2/A1...........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
    Blueskyturnstogrey...Anti...........80kg........72.22.....Jan......Hopefull