Does 4 miles count as a comute? Can I still compete in SCR?

AdiMac
AdiMac Posts: 36
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
My first day in the saddle today, no real issues on the way in as the wife dropped me into town as she had to bring the car in. The only sclap was the ass of my trousers that split getting on the bike first time :oops:

Anyway alot of you guys do a huge distance to me so will I be allowed to join the SCR as I feel guilty for scalping a 20 mile commuter in my 4 mile blast? What do you guys think?

If there is anybody around at 8pm I'll see you then....
Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around you could miss it.

Comments

• symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Are you travelling to work ? = Yes
    Therefore you can compete. I only travel 2.5 miles but most of it up a bloody steep hill. Having said that it is good taking scalps when other people have to trek in over 5 miles. :twisted:
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Course you can. If it gives you a warm/crushed feeling inside depending on whether you're the scalper or scalpee that's all that matters. :)

Out of interest what route in Bristol do you cycle?
  • AdiMac
    On the way home I'm coming from College Green to St Annes via the Feeder (Long flat straight road to none Yokels).

I'm really looking foward to getting out of work only another 5 hours to go :(
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    My previous place of work was so close to home, that it was almost as quick to walk than get changed into/out of bike kit and lock bike up etc. I think that might have counted as not a commute :lol:
  • AdiMac wrote:
    What do you guys think?

It bloody better be - even though (of course) I don't race :-)
    Mine is just over four miles and I take pleasure in scalping anyone I come across.
    Though it must be said that's not too many folk.
    Still suffer the indignity of being scalped by a bloke on a Brompton with thighs of steel.
    Gets me at the bridge at the Sheriff Court twice a week.
    Curse him and his offspring :-)

Food Chain Eight
    Nine If A Beardy

But I Don't Race :-)

I have a silver bike with plastic bits and a bell !
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    4 miles would be ideal!

Depending on when you set off for work and what time I settle into setting off at (once I've got the d*mn bike!), we might occasionally cross paths :) (Totterdown to Aztec West and back)
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I only do 3.75 miles but make up the deficit by carrying the bike up four flights of stairs. I reckon that makes it equivalent to at least 20 miles.
  • AdiMac
    I'll keep an eye out Sarajoy,

I used to spend a lot of time drinking in Tottoerdown, The Bush, Shakespear, NFO etc, great pubs :D:D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Absolutely. And if it's four miles, there's absolutely no excuse for not going balls-out all the way! :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Distance is irrelevant - its quality that counts - as cj says go all out for it - my commute is about 5 miles which I think is ideal - spare non - roadies, mtbs, children, small animals - of course it is NOT a race and the greatest sin is to be accused of trying - you'll soon learn the art of skin breathing :twisted:
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    You work where you work! Mine is 4 miles but involves getting to the top of St. Georges Hill from one of the lowest parts of the surrounding area!

The way in is a series of 'scenic' ups and downs too (Somehow they weren't too worried by cyclists when they made the place, well except them getting caught in the grill on the Bentley) :D
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You do 4x farther than me :oops: I do have to go to Deanery Rd this week so more miles for me :D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    Mines about 4.8 miles and I go all out on it, childish but a lot of fun. The only person to nearly catch me in 2.5 months was today, and that's only because I was missing 3 of the 20 spokes in my back wheel, still managed to pull away when I realised they were there though.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...quality not quantity...think Sir Chris Hoy...Victoria Pendleton... 8) 8)
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • si. d
    si. d Posts: 52
    Mine is also about 4 miles, but it's all about the hills- that's where the Bristol commuters have the edge I reckon.

Rownham Hill after a long day at work is always a test of my steel!

Don't hold back on the scalping, unless it's an old yellow Raleigh with mis-matched forks.
    FCN- 4 with Laser designator sights
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    A commute is a commute is a commute and a scalp is a scalp is a scalp. People you pass need to MTFU and pedal harder, no matter how far they're travelling.

Welcome to the jungle :)
    Today is a good day to ride
  • si. d wrote:
    Mine is also about 4 miles, but it's all about the hills- that's where the Bristol commuters have the edge I reckon.

Rownham Hill after a long day at work is always a test of my steel!

Don't hold back on the scalping, unless it's an old yellow Raleigh with mis-matched forks.

Rownham Hill makes me want to cry. Going down is almost worse than going up. I did it at speed in the dark once. Good job too as passing cars were largely spared the sight of great jets of brown poo squirting out of my ars*.
  • AdiMac
    All went well last night, got home in about 20 mins, got home before the bus had even got to the bus stop!!!

There was only on scalp to be had, so I had it :D:D

A guy on a Hardrock and in shorts thought he could sneak past me at the lights, he was wrong a i left him for dust. Got round the corner and realised that he had turned off at the lights :oops:

Anyway looking forward to 8pm and doing it again :D:D
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Lucky sods, I do 17 miles each way...
  • AdiMac
    Wow that is hardcore!!!

How long does that take on average?
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    girv73 wrote:

Welcome to the jungle :)

We've got fun and games!

We got everything you want
    Honey, we know the names
    We are the people that can find
    Whatever you may need
    If you got the money, honey
    We got your disease

[CHORUS:]

In the jungle
    Welcome to the jungle
    Watch it bring you to your
    knees, knees
    I wanna watch you bleed

Welcome to the jungle
    We take it day by day
    If you want it you're gonna bleed
    But it's the price you pay
    And you've got a very sexy bike
    That's very hard to please
    You can taste the green lights
    But you won't get them for free
    In the jungle
    Welcome to the jungle
    Feel my, my, my slipstream
    I, I wanna hear you scream

Welcome to the jungle
    It gets worse here everyday
    Ya learn ta live like an animal
    In the jungle where we play
    If you got a hunger for what you see
    You'll take it eventually
    You can have anything you want
    But you better not take it from me

[CHORUS]

And when you're high you never
    Ever want to come down, YEAH!

You know where you are
    You're in the jungle baby
    You're gonna die
    In the jungle
    Welcome to the jungle
    knees, knees
    In the jungle
    Welcome to the jungle
    Feel my, my, my slipstream
    In the jungle
    Welcome to the jungle
    knees, knees
    In the jungle
    Welcome to the jungle
    It' gonna bring you down-HA!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    3.7 or 10 miles here, short distance just means balls out all the way. Sometimes I wonder if a rider has already got 17 miles in their legs by the time i see them, then I shrug my shoulders and scalp them anyway.
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    I'm only a 2-miler but one mile of it is an uphill drag which has quite a few riders. I take great pleasure in scalping... although I'm not quite brave enough to brag about it on the real SCR board.
  • AdiMac
    Things took a turn for the worse the other night I had to ride in the rain!!!!!!

And as I put in the other Boardman post the back brake is honking like a fattened Goose just before Christmas!!! The Swans on the Feeder looked most put out, hope it'll go away as the brakes get worn in.
  • 3.7 or 10 miles here, short distance just means balls out all the way. Sometimes I wonder if a rider has already got 17 miles in their legs by the time i see them, then I shrug my shoulders and scalp them anyway.

+1!!

7 miles each way, cycle as fast as you can!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    whyamihere wrote:
    Lucky sods, I do 17 miles each way...

Where do you work/live your not far from me I think and traffic lights ruined an epic battle for me last night! :(
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...AdiMac...it's SCR for you...nip on over, you will feel better when you have confessed to some like minded sufferers...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    JGS wrote:
    Mines about 4.8 miles and I go all out on it, childish but a lot of fun. The only person to nearly catch me in 2.5 months was today, and that's only because I was missing 3 of the 20 spokes in my back wheel, still managed to pull away when I realised they were there though.

yes but pulling away from wheelchair users doesn't count.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    There is no discrimination, no let up and no excuses. 17 miles or 1.7 miles - there is no dynamic or synergy. You scalp or be scalped.

The first rule of SCR: MTFU
    The second rule of SCR: MTFU

There is no escape from SCR.

But I think you should be running a 150 inch gear......fixed. Just to make life interesting.