Cheap alternatives to Muc Off, Bike Spray, Chain Brite etc..

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Any recommendations for cheaper alternatives to name brand cleaning products? Whether 'Bike Hut' or other brands, or things that do the job just as well (vinegar is cheap!). I currently use: Muc Off, Muc Off Bike Spray(PTFE) and Park Tools Chain Brite which are all very expensive and I'm using a lot at the mo.

Cheers

Comments

• fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Caravan cleaner for muc off, WD40 for PTFE bike spray, paraffin/ kerosene for chain cleaner .. would be my thoughts. I don't use them myself though, save WD40. Googling a bit it seems some people have used Mr Muscle Kitchen and Fairy Power spray instead of muc off with good results, not sure how carbon would be affected by that though.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Warm water and fairy liquid with an old paint brush - cleans many/most things - then carefully spay off with hose - then, use things like TF2 Teflon/Finish Line Cross Country.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Fenwicks FS-1 is significantly cheaper than Muc-off (it comes concentrated so you dilute it), it's what I use.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Someone here always reminds us that washing up liquid has salt - but not much especially is you rinse thoroughly. I used a citrus, nice smelling degreaser once, and then thought boiling up some orange and lemon peels would do as well. But I cant be bothered with all that, so use Gunk in a plastic chain device instead (which purists don't like at all as it supposedly takes all that meticulously applied inner grease out of the chain.)

But then I am not a brand victim and used Three-in-One oil on my road bike.
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    Well not an alternative but I tend to buy muc-off in the big tubs and refill the spray bottles, works out cheaper.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    ElbowGrease.jpg
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly