Who wants to lose a stone by March - Week 3! (12-18th Jan)

bluecow
bluecow Posts: 306
Hello! With the weather being slightly warmer this week i've been managing to get out a bit more. Still nowhere near my summer mileage but hey, what can you do? I went for the Wheelers Intro ride on Saturday morning. Really enjoyed it and thought i'd crash but i didn't! Go me! Also managed to meet some likeminded people. It made a refreshing change from listening to my ipod anyway. My knee is quite sore. I think i should probably cough up and go see a physio before it becomes a real problem.
Anyway, here is a list of all last weeks postees:

bluecow - start --> 10st2- 10st (lost 2lbs)
Kevin Stevens- start -->10st8- 10st8 (lost 0lbs)
hambones (new) start -->15st4- 15st4 (lost 0lbs)
Fat_Rob - start --> 14st9- 14st7lbs (lost 2lbs)
Napolean D - start = 91Kg (has been ill :()
popette - start --> 93Kg- 90.4Kg (lost 5.7lbs)
Sportbilly1976 - start -->14st8- 14st8 (lost 0lbs)
jp1985 - start = 105Kg- 102Kg (lost 6.6lbs- cheated by contracting man-flu)
DavidMiller - start --> 89.1Kg- 88.7Kg (lost 0.9lbs)
JonathanMcP - start --> 98Kg- 98Kg (lost 0lbs)
steve-m - start --> 81.5Kg- 81.5Kg (lost 0lbs)
T.C - start --> 13st12 - 13st8 (lost 4lbs)
ColinJ - start --> 15st10- 15st8.5(lost 1.5lbs)
Fuzzynavel - start --> 15st3- 15st3 (lost 0lbs)
bgood2folk - start --> 90Kg - 87.5Kg (lost 5.5lbs)
deal - start --> 12st8- 12st6lbs (lost 2lbs)
pjm-84 - start --> 16st7 - 16st7(lost 0lbs)
Ianjaytee
Hagrid (new) - start --> 16st4
peanut (new) - start--> 17st6

We appear to be missing a few posters:
carpediem - start = 15st3
ratherbeintobago - start = ??
ThreeLionsBrian - start = 105Kg
SpeedKing - start = 16st1
maander - start = 11st9

Please feel free to tag onto this post. It's good to compare your own training with that of others. Do you not love us anymore...? :(

This weeks prize for being the biggest loser goes to....<drumroll>...
Popette
Here, have a kitten.
kitten.JPG[/code]

Comments

• FAT_ROB
    FAT_ROB Posts: 116
    Nice cat!

Will be posting my weight tomorrow morning, Was working last night and so went straight to bed...

Not actually sure what time of day you should weight yourself but im always lighter in the morning so to keep constant thats the plan.

This week has been a total nightmare, I am expecting to be at least a tonne!!!!
    Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)
  • bluecow
    edited January 2009
    (duplicate post- duh)
  • bluecow
    Monday: 40 hilly miles
    Tuesday: 28 miles
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: 28 miles
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 60 miles
    Sunday: Rest

Start weight = 10st3. Current = 10st. (Not lost any this week)
    Total mileage = 156. Yes!
    As i said, the club run was great. I feel a new surge of motivation and it was really nice going through Tatton Park and stopping for a teacake and coffee. :) I definitely plan on going to next Sundays shorter ride (if there is one). I think the long ride would be pushing it a bit right now as im just getting used to riding as a group. I love it though, feel much safer.
    Will anybody here be joining me on that one?
    STG: Lose a stone (of fat) by staying off rubbish food. Get out on one club run/week.
    LTG: Complete Cheshire cat 66 miler in under 4 hours.
    'Til next week folks
    :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited January 2009
    I won't post the stats fest for the last four days like I did earlier (in the wrong thread...) but I managed to get on the bike on Thursday on the trainer, trainer again Friday then actually got outside yesterday. I actually had a really good ride today, regained quite a bit of climbing power lost due to the bronchitis.

The best thing though was having my first go up Swiss Hill in Alderley Edge today. Bloomin' great! A really good technical climb, it was really slippy but thanks to mountainbiking technique (i.e. sit right back and pedal as smoothly as possible) I was able to manage it fine (with a few rear wheel spins for good measure.) Great fun, felt like I was on a lone break in the Tour of Flanders :)

Dreading the weigh in tomorrow morning though.
  • bluecow
    Ive seen Swiss Hill on trailer for the cheshire cat. Not sure if its included in the 66 miler though. I hope so :)
  • Anonymous
    It is, it's brilliant!
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Should had the weigh in yesterday when I was a flat 16st.

Currently 16st 1.5lbs. So a 5.5lb loss in the first week. Did the Sunday club ride and held on with the quick guys but only just. I'm relatively pleased considering the time I've been off the bike.

Easy start this week (overtrained last October / November so a little wary)

Mileage this week
    road = 140km
    off road = 18km
    running = 3.5km
    walking = circa 25km (dog!)
    Paul
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    bluecow wrote:
    I definitely plan on going to next Sundays shorter ride (if there is one). :)

not sure what's happening there as it's our track night at the velodrome on the saturday night. I'm giving sunday a miss but someone should be out? 8)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Okay, here's my second week's results - I lost 1.2 pounds, total now 2.7 pounds.

I've lost an inch off my waist in the last week (I could feel it before I even got the tape measure out).

I'm feeling good, but I'm still not cycling yet.

With the usual warning about horrid flabby hairy beer belly photos ( :shock: )... here's my blog progress reports.
  • Hagrid
    Hagrid Posts: 22
    Like NapoleonD, won't post all my details again having screwed up and put it in last week's thread but have gained 2lbs over the week to 16st6. Not too concerned as I think it's just one of those things. We shall see!

And Napoleon: the weather here makes learning to spend a LOT of time on your turbo a near necessity. I try not to do it all at once which makes it bearable. The easiest way for me mentally is to mimic my various club rides, so, for instance, 10 miles to the rendezvous (mimic chatting with mates before the start by getting off and having a cuppa), 26 miles to the coffee shop (another cuppa), 10 miles to where the group breaks up (final cuppa), 16 miles home. That sort of thing. And I also move my turbo about the house from one day to another so I'm not looking at the same ghastly vista day after day. Anything to lessen the monotony!
  • morning,

last week did just over 100 miles through commuting and a couple of runs out...

weighed myself yesterday and now 14st 7lbs.....grand total of 1 lb :oops:

but at least all the xmas savouries have now gone so should see an improvement this week :shock:

I will be up for a ride on Sunday should anyone else fancy one too.....
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    Week 3, not achieved all I wanted to, have not managed to get out on the bike, but did get to usual spinning classes on Monday, weds, friday.

Not weighed in, I prefer to weigh myself every couple of weeks to hopefully see greater steps in progress, so will post a weight for next week. I feel OK with progress, bougth some new jeans at the weekend and fthey were 36", so that is no worse than the end of last year.

Plan for this week, spin classes & maybe some turbo sessions, next weekend a longer ride, decorating allowing.
  • Anonymous
    bluecow, I think if you cycle enough you might be able to loose more weight and quicker.

I lose about about 2 stone in 2 months, maybe less, although since I've stopped doing around 1000 miles a month it has started to come back.

Makes me realize how little miles I'm doing at the moment, I was planning to kickstart 2009 with another 1000 mile month, so far I doubt January will be :(

I don't know if I should aim to loose a stone by march, I weigh in at 11.5 stone now and think I may be too thing in places like my arms but my stomach and chest still has fat, I don't want manb00bs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:
  • bluecow
    edited January 2009
  • bluecow
    edited January 2009
  • bluecow
    willhub wrote:
    bluecow, I think if you cycle enough you might be able to loose more weight and quicker.
    :
    I think this needs to go in the "How to always have traffic lights green for you" thread!
    You're preaching to the converted. During summer i was doing 200 miles a week, and also did lejog, so i do get enough miles in. Problem is, unlike yourself,i have one of these pesky job things, which impedes me from getting out as much as i might enjoy. In combination with the wintery weather, i think i've done fairly well to do "only" 156 miles this week.
    Food is my problem, not lack of mileage.
  • Anonymous
    Forums problems I see.

Anyway sorry if I came across the wrong way, sounds like I came across as saying you don't do enough miles but I never really meant that. I meant if you did enough cycling you would loose weight quicker, haven't really changed the sentence there, but I don't mean you don't do enough!

I guess everyone is different, I find with me as long as I do keep cycling allot I can stuff my face as much as I want but I'm just odd.

If I had a job I'd still fit in the same amount somehow, I'm sure I would lol, depending on the hours, I usually do rides between 10pm and 2am, you see lots of people running around 8-10.

What do you mean I'm preaching to the converted? I did not even know I was preaching :?:
  • bluecow
    Yeah stop digging ;)
    I seem to be able to stuff my face and not put weight on, but only cause i cycle so much. I guess if i didnt ride i'd be of sumo proportions by now. But now itd be nice to see the scale needle moving backwards, instead of staying firmly at just over 10st. Ok, so i have digital scales, but you get the picture.
    I can do more in summer, taking long routes there and home. Dont really fancy it so much in this weather though. I just want to get home and showered.
    Aaaand, cue the snow. Wtf?!
    Sidenote: this server problem is really getting on my t*ts! :evil:
  • It is snowing like a bugger up here, which has scuppered my bike-related plans. Gah!

RBIT
  • Anonymous
    bluecow wrote:
    Yeah stop digging ;)
    I seem to be able to stuff my face and not put weight on, but only cause i cycle so much. I guess if i didnt ride i'd be of sumo proportions by now. But now itd be nice to see the scale needle moving backwards, instead of staying firmly at just over 10st. Ok, so i have digital scales, but you get the picture.
    I can do more in summer, taking long routes there and home. Dont really fancy it so much in this weather though. I just want to get home and showered.
    Aaaand, cue the snow. Wtf?!
    Sidenote: this server problem is really getting on my t*ts! :evil:

The snow appears to be a micro climate as I haven't seen any and someone else in central Manchester reported it.

Server problems might be a dos attack?

Maybe I'm not 11.Stone, my scales I used where analogue.

What do you mean digging? I know I talk/type abit too much and always go off topic but I haven't dug any holes yet!?!?

Anyway I don't want to loose a stone by march but I'd like to get rid of the fat on my chest and stomach it's just odd how it's still there.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It snowed here for about 5mins. Been raining the rest of the time.
    willhub wrote:

Repeated posts are probably because Bikeradar is stupidly slow, so you might click on "Submit" a few times before it starts to look like it's doing something, but it has actually registered each click.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • FAT_ROB
    FAT_ROB Posts: 116
    HMMM

Jumped on the scales today to find I was 14st 9... again!!!!

Was it the fact I havent been on the bike this week??

Was it the 4 Gym sessions this week (muscle weighs more than fat apparently)

Or was it the Mac Donalds I had this afternoon for lunch??

Liposuction is now booked for March the 1st!
    Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)
  • bluecow
    willhub wrote:

Repeated posts are probably because Bikeradar is stupidly slow, so you might click on "Submit" a few times before it starts to look like it's doing something, but it has actually registered each click.

No, the repeated posts are me forgetting that when the error message "sorry but this forum doesnt exist" or whatever it is, the post has/i] actually gone through. And if you want to edit a post, you've 'ad it! How is one meant to waste valuable time on here when such problems persist? I mean, REALLY!
    On a positive note, i just got my hack bike back from having v-brakes put on. The steely beast is back :D
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    start 93kg
    today 89.9kg
    loss of 0.5kg since last week. I was hoping for more but it all counts - it's a marathon not a sprint bla bla bla :)
    Is the cat for me to eat? I'm hungreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

This week I rode over 7 hours and went for a 3 hour walk with toddler on my shoulders yesterday. I got hailstones on my ride today - god they hurt my face. I think my next strategy is to cut out cordial and weekday glasses of wine. I drank a bottle of cordial last week - 1000 cals - and 7 glasses of wine. Actually, I'll start with cordial and see how that goes before cutting out the wine. :wink: I'll save that step for when I'm reeeally desperate.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    aw, beautiful big flakes of snow here now (Timperley)
  • Anonymous
    bluecow wrote:
    willhub wrote:

No, the repeated posts are me forgetting that when the error message "sorry but this forum doesnt exist" or whatever it is, the post has/i] actually gone through. And if you want to edit a post, you've 'ad it! How is one meant to waste valuable time on here when such problems persist? I mean, REALLY!
    On a positive note, i just got my hack bike back from having v-brakes put on. The steely beast is back :D

What's a hack bike?

The microclimate has hit, heavy snow here now :D
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    Monday 16 mile commute
    Tuesday 16 mile commute
    Wed 8 mile commute
    Thursday 8 mile commute
    Friday 8 mile commute, 5.5 mile run
    Sat 8 mile commute (picked up bike from office)
    Sun 16 mile walk.

Weigh in 80.5 kg, so lost 1kg, waist getting smaller to

This week I intend to run 3 times during lunch, commute may be limited as I am out a few evenings and long run on Sunday given I don't have time for long cycle
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • bluecow
    A hack bike is a rubbishy heavy piece cr*p used for winter commutes when there is salt on the roads and you really cannot be bothered to clean it when you get back, hence having something cheap and durable. The extra weight to heave up the hills really gets my heart racing too :)
    It did have cantis on it, but since they didnt have any in the shop the guy stuck v-brakes on instead and they are actually tonnes better. They look a little neater too. Quite pleased 8)
  • bluecow
    steve-m wrote:

Weigh in 80.5 kg, so lost 1kg, waist getting smaller to

I should really measure my waist too and put that in. Maybe next week, if im feeling brave. I think around my belly button its about 30".
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    My weight as of this morning is 102kg so ive regained 2kg of my 5kg "manflu" loss. Hoping Ill manage to keep the other 3kg off.

Managed 2 easyish turbo sessions on Mon/Tues to get back into it then planned to have Wed off and have a harder session Thurs eve. However I had an appointment at the docs on Thurs afternoon to sort out my broken nose which resulted in me being omitted to hospital on Thurs eve to have an operation on fri.

Got released yesterday but have been told to stay away from work (unemployed - not a problem) and not to do any exercise (more of a probelm) for a week so I can see a bit more weight returning due to my tendancy to eat complete crap when im bored.

Or I could just ignore them. Whats the worst that could happen?