Article not found

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
Article not found

Sorry, but the article or page you have tried to access does not exist.

-The BikeRadar team.

^^^ I've been getting that message an awful lot recently but it only seems to happen when I'm trying to add something into the forum database or make a change, IE making a new post or editing an existing post.

It doesn't happen if I'm just retrieving stuff from the DB, IE reading posts or viewing forums.

Hope that helps you sort out the cause, it seems to be related to writing entries into the DB rather than retrieving them.

Comments

• Jamey
    Oh, and it seems to be slightly worse when editing entries than it is for brand new posts/topics.

Quite often a new post will still appear despite the error message* whereas edits don't seem to register unless you're lucky enough to avoid the error message.

* Though you have to manually navigate back to the forum to find it and because many people don't check you get a lot of double posts
  • Jamey
    New error now... Just had the following PHP error report while attempting to view a forum:
    Template->make_filename(): Error - file /data/www.bikeradar.com/phpBB2/templates/overall_header.tpl does not exist
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    Seems very clogged up at the moment. It's worst at peak times, and so I guess it might be an Interweb / server / other thing I don't really understand issue. :roll:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jamey
    But nobody had mentioned the info about it being entries into the DB that were most affected and, speaking as a web designer (I can code PHP and use SQL, the two languages this forum uses) that's very helpful to know.

Do I get a thanks?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jamey wrote:
    Do I get a thanks?

Um, yes thanks.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's getting very frustrating, there are times when I can't use the forum anymore as it runs so slowly, times out or displays the article not found page. Happens with general browsing as well posting.

What's up, servers overloaded (I have the same problem at work and home and other sites, e.g. BBC news still run smootly so it's not the connection).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • stumpyjon
    After my last post I couldn't get back on the forum for another 20 minutes :evil:

• zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Cut the boys some slack - this is one of the busiest forums I know of and there's regularly up to a thousand users browsing at anyone time...

It's a free service and quite a good one at that...
  • stumpyjon
    That's a fair comment about it being a free forum, having said that it's becoming unusable at times and it's not just me noticing it. It's also having a detrimental effect on some of the threads (the number of double and triple posts is going up).

I'm sure the BikeRadar guys want the forum and rest of the site to be a success (there is obviously a commercial return for them or they wouldn't provide it), finding you can't get on or that it's maddeningly slow is going to make people go elsewhere and that's not good for any of us.

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's gone really bad recently........I live with a couple of Software Engineers that could have sorted the site in minutes.......would you like their number?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's gone really bad recently........I live with a couple of Software Engineers that could have sorted the site in minutes.......would you like their number?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    ridiculously slow for me too tonight. Going to give up and try again in the morning. Please, please please can you try and sort it....
  • I have had a post removed or lost and i know tht sounds ridiculous but its true i posted a topic in tech last night, and this morning it has not only been moved but it has vanished from my posted topics all together !!!

Sort it out please it was about chainsets and bottom bracket changes
    G.H.Allum