Salty Nuts

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
Well, just cleaned the bike, and my stars the salt really got to it.

My front mech is jammed and won't free up, I have to kick it to make it go down, both my brake cable nuts were pretty solid and the black gunk was in everything; I cleaned my rims about four times and there was still gunk on them.

And I look like I've been down a coal mine.

Still now it's shorts weather again here in London I'm glad there'll be no more salt on the roads, at least I hope.

Now I'm off to clean the car which is just as bad but I tend not to deconstruct that to clean it.

Comments

• don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Petra the fixie got her quarterly wash and lube last week, took best part of an hour :(

I've given her a liberal coating of Muc-off protector spray or whatever its called, seems to be keeping the dirt off really well

Your wearing shorts? Is that London, Jamaica your in? :shock:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    In winter you need to be on top of cleaning, WD or lube on pivots, mechs etc.

Cuts down cleaning time in the long run if you do it often
  • Fat Kid
    Fat Kid Posts: 28
    I know this is probably a silly question, but is there a right or wrong way to wash one's bike?

Yesterday, I sprayed the frame with some muc off, rang the chain through my new Park Tools chain cleaner, then gave the whole bike, mechs included an extended blast with the hose. I then sprayed lube (can't remember the brand) all over the chain and cassette.

Is this sufficient? Would appreciate some advice.

(of course I should have read the weather forecast for today first, but never mind, still looks quite clean) :)

Thanks
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Others will tell you more but the hose-blasting could be a problem in terms of de-lubricating essential areas like hub bearings etc.

• Yesterday, I sprayed the frame with some muc off

ouch. rather you than me.
  • biondino
    Explain? The Muc Off bottle suggests you spray the frame with it. What's the issue?
  • It's fecking horrible stuff. I'd rather take an orbital sander to my bike. So many stories of bikes being knacked by this stuff. Eats through anodising as if it wasn't there, for instance.
    What's wrong with a bit of soapy water for the frame?
  • biondino
    Muc Off suggests you spray the frame with it AFTER you've cleaned the bike.

Also, come on, how is it even sold if it eats bikes? Suspect there are many other factors people are conveniently not including in these tales of woe.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    biondino wrote:
    Also, come on, how is it even sold if it eats bikes? Suspect there are many other factors people are conveniently not including in these tales of woe.

I bought some Finish Line cleaner (yellow bottle) rather than the orange/citrus stuff I usually use and it took the print off of one of the labels on my Cayo! Wasn't too pleased.