Update on Jen J

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
Well I went to Londonium to visit the poor wounded soldier and I was glad to find she was not in fact drowning in a sea of hobnobs and watching Jeremy Kyle.

Her bikes have not been thrown out of the window in a hissy fit.

But her bruise is very impressive - as is the off-the-shouder look with the top :wink:

If she were to get herself along to the Morpeth she would get so much sympathy........
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hurray! Well, hurray that she doesn't hate bikes. Hope she comes onto this thread with some more detailed updates :)

One thing about jen's accident - it made me realise I may have been a traffic policeman in another life...
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Oooh, I'm famous! :D

Not much to update really - still hurts, still don't know yet about surgery (back at hospital again on Monday), still can't do much.

Am much improved from the first couple of days though, in terms of both movement and alertness. At first I was so drugged up that, as my doctor said this morning, I was basically stoned all day ;)

Had avoided the tri thread on my running site since the crash, but ventured there today and had a debate about pedals. After that I walked passed the Bowery and though I'd go for a ride, then remembered I couldn't. First time I've actually wanted to go out, and first time I forgot I couldn't so I guess that's good?

Tried the turbo out the other evening and it was a complete disaster. My balance is out, plus I nearly fell and ended up hurting my shoulder again. And I forgot I had new pedals on, which were really stiff and I struggled to clip in. Ended up having a mini tantrum and considered throwing all bike related stuff out of the windows. But I can't afford new windows so I didn't...

Worst thing, apart from not being able to train, is that I can't lie down, and have only been able to doze for a few hours each night whilst sat on the sofa. Luckily, being sat at home all day, I don't need to be particularly awake ;)

It was lovely to see you yesterday lins x
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Um. I must have missed something.

What happened? It sounds like you have a shot putting injury. Yes, that must be it.
  • Surgery? When did that come over the horizon?

Is that to put pins in? Yikes!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Ahhhh Jen! I can't believe they haven't decided whether to pin you back together again yet or not!

Bloomin health service mutter mutter.

Much e-sympathy from Essex...
  • linsen
    Um. I must have missed something.

What happened? It sounds like you have a shot putting injury. Yes, that must be it.

AT

I broke Jen

Read all in "Social rides", if you can be bothered. I would find and post a link, but I have other things to do :wink:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Thanks for the update linsen and JJ and glad to hear your sorta on the mend!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Jen J
    They don't want to operate, so are waiting to see if it moves out of position. If it doesn't (and it stayed in position for at least 10 days acording to the the xrays last monday) then they'll leave it as it is. I'm hoping it does stay, as if they decide to operate, my recovery time will be set back to nil, even though it'll be a few weeks after the crash.

AT - dog ran out, I crashed, landed on shoulder, broke neck of humerus, ouch.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I read the original thread. Was the dog alright?

If its any consolation Jen, I bet you could cycle for another 25 years and not have that happen again.

Bones take about 6 weeks to knit. You are 2 down already. I guess if its not displaced by now, it won't. You;ll be back on the trainer well before the 6 week point, I reckon.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Glad to hear you're on the mend Jen, at least you're off the bike whilst the weather is crap - hopefully you'll be fit in time for the spring :D:D

Linsen - stop blaming yourself - it was the dog wot dun it :D:D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hope there's no need for the op, Jen.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jen J
    3206344942_d058f40268.jpg

3205502303_f7972232a7.jpg

Look, pretty colours ;)
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Holy cr@p Jen, that's some incredible bruising! How are you doing?
  • linsen
    I read the original thread. Was the dog alright?

If its any consolation Jen, I bet you could cycle for another 25 years and not have that happen again.

Bones take about 6 weeks to knit. You are 2 down already. I guess if its not displaced by now, it won't. You;ll be back on the trainer well before the 6 week point, I reckon.

Dog unscathed. They usually are. My dog ran out into a car when he was 8 months old. He was fine, the car was dented.....
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You've failed to match the colours on the Madonna, try again :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Whoa! where's the "warning, some viewers may find the following scenes distressing" - I get queazy watching casualty :D
    Jen J wrote:
    3206344942_d058f40268.jpg

3205502303_f7972232a7.jpg

Look, pretty colours ;)

Looks sore matey. Hope it gets better soon and that an op is not required. Dogs are a nightmare aren't they.

Best wishes
    TCS
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    This thread may take a disturbing " You call that a bruise...check this out" type twist :twisted:

Get better soon!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Get a load of Hirudoid cream on those bruises - worked a treat on my bruises from being knocked off before Christmas....although they weren't as colourful as yours.....
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Oh that is bad looking bruising and everything. My sympathies there indeed.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Ouch Jen - definitely gets my sympathy vote
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ouch looks painful!

Hope you get better soon Jen. Wimbledon misses its resident Amazon!!!!

Well wishes from a few roads away!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    :shock: That's impressive!

I had to lead someone's dog back to them once after it started chasing me down the road whilst I was on the bike. It didn't want to go back to them (I suspect it was a puppy or at least quite new) so as it seemed to think I was it's new best friend I backtracked a bit to lead him back towards them :-)

Anyhow hope you heal up soon!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Ouch Jen you poor thing, I hope those drugs are doing there job :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    OUCH! That's impressive! You wouldn't believe my disappointment when no bruise showed up after my accident last year.

+1 for "warning, some viewers may find the following scenes distressing" :shock:

+1 for "get well soon" :D
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Wow, impressive bruises! They are better than the ones I had after my drunken cycling accident. Well done and get well soon!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Ouch! That looks so bad!

Get well soon!

Can we market you as modern art or a Banksy piece? The colour and formation is akin to camoflage....

Ouch!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Oh, Crikey, Jen, :shock:

That's horrendous - you poor thing. No wonder you've been on painkillers so storng they make you queasy.

Get well soon and fingers crossed that an op is not deemed necessary.
  • Jen J
    Third visit to the fracture clinic this morning, and the bone is still in a good position.

However, they can't rule out surgery until it's actually healed, as it could move out of position at any time.

*sigh*

Back at the clinic next week.

At least I'll be easily recognisable at the next social - I'll be glowing from all the radiation from the weekly xrays(3 today).
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    nice work JJ glad to hear things are healing as they should. that looks similar to the bruise I got when they stripped out a massive vein in my leg and could barely walk for 2 days. that bruise will get worse
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Aw Jen that's colourful! So much more impressive than what I got when I broke my elbow (I was actually vaguely indignant there wasn't more bruising to match the pain levels). I hope it heals very soon.

I have been watching the dogs in Hyde Park very, very carefully...one day I will ride into a lamp post where I am 'keeping an eye' on what the dogs are doing!

We hit a sheepdog in the lanes in Cornwall once when I still had my car. I began screaming because I thought we had killed the dog, but it got up and bounded away most happily. The car was less fortunate because the car behind went into the back of it and crushed all the back. And I had whiplash. As I exchanged insurance details with the bloke who had shunted us, I could see this dog playing in the fields in the distance.