Choosing between two Bianchi

mobilis
mobilis Posts: 65
edited January 2009 in Road beginners

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Ride both, decide which you prefer. I'd have Veloce every time, because I can't stand Shimano shifters. I have the 2009 Veloce shifters on my commuter bike, and they're very, very good.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i'd have veloce too - again becuase I prefer the hoods of campag over shimano.

veloce is at least level with 105 in the pecking order of groupsets (and I would say it's better - but then I would - a shimano person will be along in a mo to say that 105 is higher!)
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Not going to argue about shimano v campag ive had both until recently and they both have their merits. I would say if you have big hands like me the shimano levers will fit better. If ou have small hands campag is likely to be more comfortable. Also if you already have a bike with one type of gruppo on it go with that make for ease of repair.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    the wheels are slightly different - the campag model has Michelin hubs and Ambrosio rims but the shimano has an R500 rim and hub set, is there much of a difference ???

although it would be more fitting for a bianchi to have an italian groupset on it......'chap has to keep the side up and do the right thing, what'
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Yep, ride both and find out which you prefer. I prefer Shimano shifters but, as you can see above, some prefer Campag. In theory 105 and Veloce are about the same level but my experience from my bikes (105) and my GF's (Veloce) is that 105 is better quality....... but that's just from my experience.
  • Were you thinking of buying from Evans?
    My strong recommendation is to go make a midweek test ride appointment at epic cycles.
    You'll get expertly measured up, both bikes will be set up exactly the same.
    You can then have a long test ride of each.

Shimanos on a Bianchi :roll:
    Whatever next

My experience of Evans is a scoot around the block in traffic, if your lucky,

Let us know what you bought.
  • Veloce all the way. You can't have a Bianchi with Shimano components. It's just wrong!
  • C-S-B
    C-S-B Posts: 117
    Ive always used Shimano, but the new shape campag levers are just sexual! The fact that its an Italian bike should be enough to push the balance from boring old 105 to exciting new veloce anyways, so Id go for veloce!
  • mobilis
    mobilis Posts: 65
    How about Mirage in front. Someone told me that is about equal to 105. Is this possible or important?
  • octav
    octav Posts: 50
    I wouldn't bother for the front derailleur. I had Mirage,Veloce , Centaur and Record in the front and I couldn't tell the difference. The difference is just in weight and looks. I would go for Campy as it's a new design and as someone said the new Veloce shifters are very good.
  • hi just ordered my new 928 C2C with 105! I know that it is wrong but like others I just found the Shimano more comfortable with my big hands!

happy riding
  • I would say if you have big hands like me the shimano levers will fit better. If ou have small hands campag is likely to be more comfortable.

I've found it quite the opposite. Not sure it's anything to do with hand size, just what you feel more comfortable!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    About the big hands issue: I have pretty big hands and find the new design Campagnolo hoods - also on the Veloce - very comfortable, much more than the smaller type used until last year. No issue anymore I would say.
  • cc10
    cc10 Posts: 38
    McColgan34 wrote:
    hi just ordered my new 928 C2C with 105! I know that it is wrong but like others I just found the Shimano more comfortable with my big hands!

happy riding

What colour did you go for??
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    I've been riding a Bianchi with shimano for the last 3 years and still loving it. A buddy of mine just bought the Nirone with 105 combination and its pretty decent. Nice looking bike too.
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    Personally I would go for the Campagnolo as its Italian, though a girlfriend rides Shimano equipped Bianchi :( Incidentally she has small hands and doesn't suffer with the Ultegra hoods being too big.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot