Any Liverpool Victoria customers here??

don_don
don_don Posts: 1,007
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
Want to cancel your policy and tell them what a bunch of berks they are?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/car-insurers-cycle-stats-branded-mickey-mouse-19970#post_comments

What a shower :x

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Ahem, Liverpool Victoria :wink:

So the rise in accidents is down to more ignorant cyclists, not bad driving. Right... :?
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    DOH! Idiot :roll:

Corrected, thanks Iain :oops:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I have sent them my thoughts:
    I just saw your item on GMTV this morning, and again this afternoon on your website.

I do have to say that I am horrified that you see fit to add to the demonisation many levy at cyclists. Surely it would be better if you offered your insured drivers free cycling lessons and cycle insurance cover on their car insurance?

The roads are already fraught with animosity and resentment. Antisocial cycling is being targetted (rightly) by the police - tests, tax and insurance do not stop the oiks. As you should well know from your experiences as an insurer there are dangerous and incapable people using all kinds of transportation, its not localised to one specific mode.

Lastly I would say that a HUGE majority of cyclists drive. You may well have alienated your own customers, and the cycling forums are filling up with resentment that you could have been so tactless. Many of us now feel that you have done this as a "stunt" to scare people into cars and buy car insurance.

As I have said above - help with the issues, dont demonise!

I look forward to your reply

My name
    (cyclist for 17 years, member of the CTC, though not an active participant in their activities yet - you may well have changed that, sorry)

I would hope others do the same, regardless of who their insurer is.
  • One car, building & contents insurance all with them (so that means my bike as well) -

Do I want to change ? no way they were the cheapest by far.
  • I work for LV and I am a bit disappointed with that article.

I can tell you they are pro cycling, here's why:

They spent the best part of 6k on a brand new bike sheds for us.

They do the bike to work scheme

They have excellent shower facilities

They supported some collegues last year who did a circa 350 mile cycle ride for charity, They made LV jerseys for them, and if memory serves correct the money they raised LV matched for the given charity

Myself and some collegues are looking into LE to JOG next year, they are donating us annual leave to do it in etc

Last year I do belive LV colleugues raised the best part of 20k for charity and I do belive LV matched that (some raised on the 350 charity cycle ride)

So can company who you work for beat that?

Personally I think thats pretty damn good really :D
    Please sponsor me here:
    http://www.justgiving.com/jeffhillier1/

Charge Plug Racer with risers - Fixie
    Bianchi Mega Pro L - Road Bike
    GT Avalanche - Off Road bike
    Raleigh Europa - I'll bulid it into a fixie one day!
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    TRADESIZE wrote:
    I work for LV and I am a bit disappointed with that article.

I can tell you they are pro cycling, here's why:

They spent the best part of 6k on a brand new bike sheds for us.

They do the bike to work scheme

They have excellent shower facilities

They supported some collegues last year who did a circa 350 mile cycle ride for charity, They made LV jerseys for them, and if memory serves correct the money they raised LV matched for the given charity

Myself and some collegues are looking into LE to JOG next year, they are donating us annual leave to do it in etc

Last year I do belive LV colleugues raised the best part of 20k for charity and I do belive LV matched that (some raised on the 350 charity cycle ride)

So can company who you work for beat that?

Personally I think thats pretty damn good really :D

I think thats all good. A lot of firms are now realising the potential of bike to work schemes (if anything it means their staff dont end up squabbling over parking spaces as they do at my place)

I still think its a very silly mistake to make and doesnt reflect reality.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I don't know quite why they decided to do the 'study' in the first place. The cynic in me, however, feels that they're either about to launch an insurance policy targetted at cyclists; someone in the claims department mentioned that occasionally they have to pay out for scratches caused as uninsured cyclists bounce off bumpers; or they wanted to get their names in the papers and didn't care too much about upsetting a minority group of road users.