girv73 STOP posting on here and build your bike

Feltup
Feltup Posts: 1,340
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
That is all! :D [/b]
Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
Specialized Singlecross - 2008
Marin Rift Zone - 1998
Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    :lol::lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878

+1

+2
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    :lol:

I could give you excuses of course - all about having to work in the evenings until 1am on the contract that's paying for the bike and having weekends tied up with DIY and other domesticity as I'm too busy during the week - but you understanding lot wouldn't, well, understand. Or care.

Honestly, it's all about the bikes with you :roll:

But I couldn't stop posting. You'd only miss me, then there'd be crying, polls and a "girv73 come back" thread or something. The SCR ladies would be round at my house with placards. Lacy placards. FACT. Also, if I didn't spend all day on here, I'd have to do work and that doesn't really agree with me.

So stay the course, fair friends. Someday I will build that roadie-wot-currently-lives-inna-garagebox and then you'll all be deluged with posts and photos about it, inane n00b roadie questions and so on. You'll get sick of me, I think, and start another thread - "girv73 stop posting about that darned bike".
    Today is a good day to ride
  • always_tyred
    girv73 wrote:

I could give you excuses of course - all about having to work in the evenings until 1am on the contract that's paying for the bike and having weekends tied up with DIY and other domesticity as I'm too busy during the week - but you understanding lot wouldn't, well, understand. Or care.

Honestly, it's all about the bikes with you :roll:

But I couldn't stop posting. You'd only miss me, then there'd be crying, polls and a "girv73 come back" thread or something. The SCR ladies would be round at my house with placards. Lacy placards. FACT. Also, if I didn't spend all day on here, I'd have to do work and that doesn't really agree with me.

So stay the course, fair friends. Someday I will build that roadie-wot-currently-lives-inna-garagebox and then you'll all be deluged with posts and photos about it, inane n00b roadie questions and so on. You'll get sick of me, I think, and start another thread - "girv73 stop posting about that darned bike".
    I got a bike delivered two days ago. Okay, not ridden it yet due to badly bruised knee, but I assembled it in the kitchen whilst (a) feeding the cats and (b) making a seafood pasta dish.

Admittedly it took me about an hour to do these tasks, which is marginally longer than normal. Admittedly also, I was the only one in the house when I was assembling a bicycle in the kitchen.
  • girv73
    AT - you're ace, you. I wish I was as ace as you are.

I think it'd take me significantly longer than an hour to assemble a bike from parts. It took me the best part of 4 hours to change forks and tyres last weekend! It'd take even longer if cats are involved. And then there's the shakedown ride to consider.
  • always_tyred
    I'm trying to shame you into building your bike.

It look me longer than an hour. :oops:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    just get on with it, damn you.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Feltup
    I read your tale of woe and my mind started to come round and realise your predicament and then I consulted my heart and it was crying :cry: and broken at the thought. My brain told my heart to MTFU but it is no use, bikes in boxes are a crying :cry: shame.

p.s. I don't want to point out that if you can get away with posting on here you might be able to get away with working on your other contract and thus save some time in the evenings :wink:

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • girv73
    If I did that, where would I find time for Facebook, Twitter and my own projects? Eh, Mr. Smartypants, EH?!?!
  • Feltup
    That means you are choosing Facebook, Twitter (wtf?) and your own projects over building your bike.

HERETIC! BURN HIM! BURN HIM!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • girv73
    Maybe I should do a (ahem) "work from home" day?

I was joking about Facebook etc. :roll: There are other reasons I couldn't possibly do what you suggest. Not least of which is that I know there are folk from my office on this very forum ;)
  • Feltup
    Then surely they will understand! :wink: I am sure when you finally get round to building and riding your bike it will feel loved and won't hold a grudge :lol:

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Tell the truth!

The box is easier to hide from the wife than a built up bike. :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • How did you have time to take it out of the box and take photos, upload them and NOT build the thing.

Look, were all men here (and women) if you can't build it, I'm sure someone will love to help you. It doesn't make you any less of a man.

:D
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • girv73
    Unfortunately Wheezy, she took delivery of it herself :roll:
  • girv73
    How did you have time to take it out of the box and take photos, upload them and NOT build the thing.

That took maybe 10 minutes? I'm pretty handy with the intarnets, it wasn't a problem.
    Look, were all men here (and women) if you can't build it, I'm sure someone will love to help you. It doesn't make you any less of a man.

I think it might :lol:

I know that if I'd started building it, I'd have spent the rest of the night fiddling with saddle positions, cable tensions, gear indexing and that sort of thing - you know how it is.

But Sunday is the day. Oh yes.
  • girv73
    DSCF2498.JPG

:o
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    girv73 wrote:
    DSCF2498.JPG

:o

Very nice but you're going to have trouble staying on that saddle. Larger pictures please and perhaps one with you grinning next to the stead, post first road ride :wink:

You'll be shaving your legs before you know it :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • girv73
    You can get all the pictures you want here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/girv73/BeOn ... directlink

I don't know about leg shaving, but I think I'm a secret road tart :oops: Today I bought two bottle cages and bottles specifically because they match the bike. I'm also considering a Blackburn cycle computer because it's the right colours. And this is just the start, I can feel it.

I hope the weather picks up tomorrow so I can get out on it...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    8) Wa-hey! Good work, Girv.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, it's already time to upgrade. Fulcrums would go nicely as would some carbon cranks and white bar tape. It's what Jash would do. Gone on, you know it makes sense. :twisted:

Hope you get out for a ride today. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    It's what Jash would do. Gone on, you know it makes sense. :twisted:

Nice one Girv, enjoy it!
  • Feltup
    About bloody time :wink:

Have fun out on those roads and feel the pleasure of being able to tap up hills you have to grind up on the mtn bike :D

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Nice one, well done :D
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • girv73
    Thanks for all your good wishes, but I should point out that the previous shot was just the bike removed from the factory box, unwrapped and with the wheels put on. The bars, saddle and brakes all still needed fitted at that point!

But, after spending most of the weekend getting steamy with a stripper, I finally found some time late on Sunday to build the BeOne :D

DSCF2555.JPG
    (click on the pics for bigger versions)

The front brake is held on with a single bolt. It's still possible to rotate the brake unit around this bolt and I can't tighten it any more than it is already. Is this normal?

The back brake gave me some jip too. They didn't seem to give enough cable to reach the back brake unit so I had to trim down the final section of cable outer a little. I think I overdid it a bit though and it now looks a little odd. I've ordered some new outer from eBay and will replace the too-short bit in time.

I also managed to unravel a single strand of the cable and stab myself with it. There was no way it was going back into the outer so I just had to snip it off. I considered replacing the whole cable, but I would have had to undo the bar tape I think, no way was I starting into that at 10.30pm on a Sunday!

There were some leftover parts too :oops: Any ideas?

DSCF2544.JPG

I still need to fit the little cable crimp ends, I'd like a computer on it and the back brake needs tightened, but basically it's done :) It'd need non-QR skewers, mudguards and some lights too for commuting duties. I don't think I can bring myself to fit the fugly jubilee clips to mount my Tesco torches though, it's too pretty for that :lol: A summer only commuter I think.

Upgrades ... want ... wheels ... tyres ... carbon things ... must ... resist.

It was late when I finished and I was tired from the stripping, so I just went on a little shakedown ride along the streets (in my jeans and fleece). The 105 shifting is spot on and precise, straight out of the box, though I miss being able to drop two or three gears at once like on the MTB. Brakes are OK and I'm surprisingly comfortable with the position on the hoods and drops and with the handling.

But the feeling of easy power, cruising along the tarmac in the big ring ... like, wow. The difference, even to the slicked MTB is ... wow.

Busy again this week so it's not likely I'll be out for a maiden jaunt until next weekend :( Can't wait to get it out on the open road...
  • Nice one Girv ...

Have had my BeOne ... the cheaper Storm 2.0 (would have liked Shimano 105 as opposed to the Tiagra set up I have, but I didn't have the extra £100 (didn't actually have the £400 the 2.0 cost! :wink: ), and I prefer the white/black/gold colour scheme of mine) set up and on commuting duty for a week now.

Confidence and familiarity are growing ... the gear set-up needs tweaking ... and the thing needs cleaning ... although, strangely, I quite like it looking a bit grubby ... looks like its being honestly worked rather than something that's just there to look at!

Roads and fast-moving traffic, especially on dark mornings and dark evenings are scary (speaking as a new roadie and commutee), and traffic lights are a pain ... there must be close on 30 sets in my 11 miles Leeds-Wakefield commute ... makes me want to revert to my former "before-I-started-reading-this-forum-and-being-shamed-into-obeying-the-rules-of-the-road-I-was-an-unapologetic-RLJ-er" status ... but I am behaving now (mostly!)

(Cue RLJ plus/minus debate ... must be ... oooh ... minutes since this topic has been covered here!!)
  • girv73
    @kevinharley it was sheer luck I got an extra job in to pay for the 1.0, or it wouldn't have happened at all. I must say though, I do prefer the red/black/white colours ;)

Did you build yours up yourself? Do you recognise the leftover parts I had? :lol:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Leftover bits are most likely for reflectors. They're not particularly important anyway...

By the way, if you PM me your address I can send you a few end caps, I've got thousands of the things.
  • There were some leftover parts too Any ideas?

I had these left over too ... 489_shrugging.gif
  • Did you build yours up yourself?

Yes ... it was mostly straightforward, and the most time-consuming bits were the final tweakings and adjustments ... saddle height and angle, brakes, gears (which still aren't properly set up!) ... and then trying to fit a tool bag and lights etc ...