Big thanks to all the cyclists who stop

4dam
4dam Posts: 31
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
THANK YOU

I would like to say thanks to the cycling community. Today on my way home I got the dreaded flat. While i was fitting the new tube in I get a fellow cyclist stop to see if i need a hand, Then with the worst luck i get another a few miles down the road. With this i had no choice to see if i could find the fault on the inner tube. When another cyclist goes flying past down the hill, Turns around rides back up the hill and hears my sob story and offers me his spare tube. I offer the guy a few quid for it and he was having none of it so a big thanks to you pal. Hope to catch the guy one day. Seeing we take the same route too and from Leeds to give him a new inner tube back.

Its very nice to have other cyclists stop there commute to see if your OK.
FCN7

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i would always offer my innertube on, have done in the past. if they offer me a few quid i always so no but make sure if you see someone in trouble you pass on the help and give them an innertube if they need it
  • Chapeau to both of you!
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    think its a natural thing for most cyclists

i saw someone with bike upside down sorting punture and stopped mid drink dropping bottle in road and nearly killing myself lol

went back to the cyclist and offered my help nowing i had inner tube and tools but he was fine

just hope someone would stop and offer help if i ever needed it, but im sure it will happen :D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    When I first got my bike the original tyres were awful for punctures. On a social ride I got a puncture in Balham, I had an innertube but no pump. Many cyclists just rode past but a guy from the CTC stopped fitted my innertube and pumped my bike up so I could get home. I got a puncture on the way home, but made it :shock: Despite the second puncture I'll never forget that CTC guy.

I stop whenever I see a cyclist in need now. Even if it results in my being late for work...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    We're a nice bunch generally...I always make sure anyone is OK or needs help...
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I was out a while ago with a mate when he punctured. We both had tubes and mini-pumps so were fine but a guy in a car stopped and offered use of a track pump in his boot. Since we still had about 80 miles to go it was pretty good to get it up to full pressure.
  • GEPC
    GEPC Posts: 123
    Do onto others as you would like done to yourself.

Or

What goes around comes around

Whatever you call it, its great stories of peple sinmply doing the decent thing.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    To those who give a tube away:-
    Do you carry two spares?
    Do you give it away only on the way home from work so that if you do puncture it isn't that critical?
    Or are you really that selfless that you will risk puncturing yourself and not being able to fix it?

I have stopped to offer assistance but have never been in a situation where my inner tube would have helped (wrong size each time).
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Or are you really that selfless that you will risk puncturing yourself and not being able to fix it?

Surely the good karma pixies won't allow you to puncture once you've handed across your only spare inner tube?
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I now have an image in my brain of the Karma pixie, huge and musclular (for a pixie), taking the thorn out of the puncture pixies hands and shoving it up...................
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    I only carry one and would happily donate it if need be, you can always get a new one at lunch from evans/other bike shop in town
  • GEPC wrote:
    What goes around comes around

Whatever you call it, it's great stories of people simply doing the decent thing.

It must be the way that I look, but whenever I stop to offer help, people are chary of accepting it. They look at me as if I'm some kind of weirdo about to mug them or something. (OK, the weirdo thing is probably just me, but it usually needs me to offer again before they get it: I am actually offering.)

I love doing it though. Altruism rocks. It is the most surprising and liberating force on the planet.

Think about it: taken to its logical extreme, given enough speed, organisation and willing, there need be only one spare innertube in the world... :wink:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    First long distance ride I did I had a puncture - had all my kit except the pump - walking back and a guy on a road bike stopped and offered loan of a pump - great intro into the cycling community - since then I've only come across one guy walking with a puncture - offered help but unfortunately he had a nail gash about 2 inches long in the tyre but only a short way to walk - I don't normally carry a spare tube on my commute but would always offer to help - what goes around comes around 8)