Wyre Forest:regular sunday morning ride(&weekday nights)

R34PER
R34PER Posts: 193
edited June 2013 in MTB rides
looking to get a few people together for a regular sunday morning ride at wyre forest. first ride Sunday 18th January. probably start at the visitors centre and around 10am although details can be ammended to suit the group. post here if you are up for it. all welcome.

Comments

• eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    definately up for trying to meet up, but riding on the chase next sun, can try for another sun though, should be ok for one of the next 2 sun
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Yep, as a Wyre Forest CRC rider, I'm up for that. :lol:

But I am not a regular MTB rider, so please be gentle! I do mainly road work, well ok, all road work then..... :oops:
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • mounty
    mounty Posts: 682
    Yep, I'm up for that...if you dont mind an old and slow one tagging along :-)
  • mounty
    Something similar for a Friday afternoon, if anyone is interested...

http://www.bikeadventuresuk.com/forum/v ... 34&start=0
  • There's already a regular Sunday ride from the visitors centre, just go and introduce yourself, they are a friendly bunch (quite quick too)
  • I would be up for this too
  • R34PER
    markwatton wrote:
    There's already a regular Sunday ride from the visitors centre, just go and introduce yourself, they are a friendly bunch (quite quick too)

as there is a quick group up there i'm guessing there are people who wont keep up so i think this will be a slightly more relaxed group to accomidate newer riders too as there seems to be plenty of people about.

Shaun
  • I've been out on a sunday before with the 10am group from the visitors centre and they are to quick for me last time i nearly threw up so a more relaxed ride would be welcome.
  • mounty
    I went out with a Sunday group a while back, too quick for me! :-)

Could do with another group and perhaps at a 'more comfortable pace' to start things off....include more of a scenic and snack approach ! :-)
  • R34PER
    mounty wrote:
    I went out with a Sunday group a while back, too quick for me! :-)

Could do with another group and perhaps at a 'more comfortable pace' to start things off....include more of a scenic and snack approach ! :-)

well you are leading as you are the most local and with the best trail knowledge :D
    i cant wait until i know the forest well enough to start sorting out my own loops as there were some great sections last week.

I will be there on a silver P7, mounty will be on a gold kona. what will everyone else be on so we can recognise each other?
  • I will be on a red cove handjob we could always meet on the duke william pub carpark which is the pub over the road from the visitors centre as you can park there for free
  • hi im supposed to be going out with a friend on sunday my first time off road for about eight years i think, if he doesnt go would like to meet up with you all.
    will post tommorow night to let you know cheers.
    p;s thanks mounty and r34per.
    if he doesnt go out will meet up for the next one, if i dont come let me know how you all get on :D
  • R34PER
    beermonsta wrote:
    I will be on a red cove handjob we could always meet on the duke william pub carpark which is the pub over the road from the visitors centre as you can park there for free

i will just ride up to the forest from home anyway as i'm only in stourport so its not that far. i just figure you could get there a couple of mins early and scoot across the road :)

@Little Wiser... you are more than welcome to bring your friend along too if you want.
  • mounty
    hi im supposed to be going out with a friend on sunday my first time off road for about eight years i think, if he doesnt go would like to meet up with you all.
    Why not bring your friend along too ? If not then catch up with you on the next ride.

As beermonsta says, we could all meet up on the pub car park @ 10am, its free for those who are driving over ?
  • R34PER
    Ok then, Duke William car park at 10am on sunday is fine for me.
  • ok guys see you on the duke car park at 10 am
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    Will come along one week if you dont mind, im on the hopton uplift this week 18th though so cant make it!

How long are you planning on riding for! I have done plenty of miles in the wyre so know it pretty well, would be good to see if theres anything i dont know!

Were over there from 7 tonight if anyone fancies a warm up!
  • mounty
    moggy82

Catch up with you on the next one then, it would be good to get someone else's view/routes in the wyre.

I cant speak for everyone else, but I usually ride between 2 - 3 hours...

I would, but I dont have any decent off road lights at the moment. Have an order with DX that I am waiting for. :-)
  • moggy82
    Cool, i was having a great time using my DH skill to hop some gaps etc yesterday but then tried to get along the nasty bit on the run known as garlic/sticks and ended up over the bars and topplong into the stream on the left! I was ahead of everyone and insisted i was just in there washing a bit of mud off my bike! lol.

We did just over 8 miles in about 2.5 hours last night, managed to keep off the fire roads though which was good! Now its thawed its very slippy over there!

What lights have you gone for off DX, how you planning on mounting them?
  • mounty
    R34PER and I were in the wyre on Sunday, it was frozen over, very nice...no need to clean the bike when I got home ! :-)

But once its thawed, the wyre is VERY muddy....

Torch....I went for the MTE SSC P7, 5-Mode Super LED with the Twofish Lockblocks from fenix, plus going to get an O ring for extra hold. Gonna give it try and see what its like....

What torch/lighting do you use ?
  • moggy82
    I currently have a L1 (80 lumens) which can run for about 5 hours on full so stays on all ride and a MTE M3-2 (700lumen) with a 4die pill (same kind of output as P7) both on my head.

Then i have a P7-D (600lumens)(16092) and a TR-C2 (400 lumens)(MCE again but same kind of flood as a halogen) Equivalent to a 20W/10W halogen high and low. Both on the bars using http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12871
    QR fits both bar 25.4mm and 31.8 sizes and you use a rear reflector bracket to hold the torch.I asked at my local halfords and they had a load behing the desk, i took and handful and found the large one fitted the big thready bit perfectly with just a tiny bit of the rubber!

I rarely run them all on full, i tend to run Just L1 and bar MCE low for ups and boring bits, Then i add P7 and MCE on med for flat singletrack, and all on full for the proper DH bits, 45, caravan, jedi etc.

All on they are easily brighter than my mates Betty 7 at a fraction of the price, i just have to carry 3 spare batteries for the 18650 powered torches but haven't yet needed to change one.

I do like my lights!

Lumens are as tested with a light meter against accurately rated lights (e.g L1)
  • R34PER
    @moggy82 what did that setup cost you? i keep looking at lights but i'm never sure what to go for.

@mounty- i thought about changing my gear cables for sunday so i could have more than just the eight gears but i realised that with the age of the shifters they take a different cable end to the ones i had spare. i figure i should still be ok grinding up the climbs again and i found some spare shifters i can put on after the ride on sunday. i figure i'll only brake something if i do it the day before :roll:

@everyone else- see you all sunday
  • R34PER
    well the weather report i just checked thinks it should be pretty dry, cloudy and with a bit of a breeze tomorrow so it should be nice and muddy with todays rain :D

weather
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Sorry chaps, I cannot make it now as I need to be home for midday. Maybe next time, but I do need to get some MTB mileage in as I have entered the Hell of the North for the first time. :?

But on the subject of lights, I run twin Lumicycle HID lights,spot & flood, man are they good! Expensive I admit, but they sure are the dogs dangly bits.. :lol:
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • mounty
    Is it just me, or did anyone else suffer a little after yesterday's ride ?

I dont normally feel it but my legs were hurting a little yesterday.....:-(
  • Yes mate my legs are sore too and im a bit bruised after that face plant
  • R34PER
    i really struggled on the ride home, took a longer route too to go through some woods as its a bit nicer than the road climb i was facing. i was out on the road bike today but i only did around 10 or 15 miles (no computer) and every one was a struggle. i then got roped into a six a side football match as my friends side was short on players but the running about has seemed to help (we lost 3-2 but i scored a screamer on my debut).
    Yes mate my legs are sore too and im a bit bruised after that face plant

i checked the footage and i missed you actually stacking it but i got you getting up and showing us how far in the wheel went :shock: as i missed it i didnt realise you had gone down properly :oops:

i ruined the footage though by having my head pointing too far down for around 90% of the ride although i did get some good shots of us standing round deciding on routes, the occasional back wheel of the rider in front and lots of mud. i think i got around 2 hours or so of footage so once i look through it all i must be able to find some that isn't crap so i'll try and stick it together.

the mud has given me an excuse to buy a new bike now though so i'm looking around for a new hardtail with disc brakes, also noticed my forks seals are leaking i think as they had dropped quite a bit so i'm going to go rigid on the P7 now as suspension forks to fit are a bugger to find. also going to change my shifters and gear cables this week :roll:

all in all, it was a good day out but a shame it wasn't frozen as the mud was hellish. two aims for me now...get fitter and improve skills. then faster :D

what were everyones thoughts on it being regular as i think it could be a better idea to ride elsewhere when its that bad with mud as it seemed to kill every trail?
  • mounty
    Yeah, it was muddy, a lot muddier than usual, I guess a lot of it is down to the forestry work that is going on and the heavy downpour the night before. Just that time of year !

I just ride whatever the weather and conditions and I ride the wyre a lot. Some trails are better than others, but at this time of year (and for most of the year) its just muddy, not much you can do about it, other than get on a road bike ;-)

I can ride most Sunday's, so I'm up for it. May be squeeze in a trail centre once a month or something and mix it all up a little....

There's also the Chase and dare I say it, the Clent ;-)
  • Would be a good idea to do a trail centre once a month and maybe cannock or the long mynd is a good ride with some proper hills
  • mounty
    long mynd is a good ride with some proper hills

I have not done the long mynd for many years and then I think it was walking, not riding....

Other than being 'hilly' what are the trails like ?