paranoid..gahhh

zacca
zacca Posts: 25
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Im still paranoid that my frame size on my new tarmac is incorrect - mainly due to the back ache Ive been getting.

However, I cant see how it could be... and I think its just me annoying myself. Heres a few numbers about the bike and me, can you give me an opionion on whether Ive got the right size or not?

OK... Ive got the 56cm Tarmac Elite.
Im a shade under 6ft, so got a bit of growing room should I gain a bit more height but I dont think Il grow too much more now, being 18 this year.
The 56cm according to specialized is suitable for 5'9'' to 6'0''.
The 58cm is suitable for 6'0'' to 6'3''.
OK, in the shop the 56 passed the front hub/blocked view test whereas the 58cm (allez as they didnt have a 58 tarmac) didnt.
My old giant is a 55.5cm frame, so surely it makes sense to get the 56cm... there cant be too much difference or am I wrong due to the different geometrys?
My inside leg measurement is 81cm, or 32inches.
When I do the frame size calcualtor, 81x0.68 I get 55cm frame.
Both my giant and the tarmac are pretty much the same frame wise, but the giant has a 120mm stem and the tarmac a 110mm.

However, I keep on thinking should I have got the 58cm? Is this back ache Im getting a result of being too cramped? I also have the seat raised quite high on the tarmac, about 10 inches of seatpost showing...is this a sign thatt Im too big for the bike?? When I do the sadle height calculation it says my haddle should be a good 5'' lower!?

Im going to the lbs this weekend hopefully to put my mind at rest... I hope its just me adapting to the new position or I might need a longer stem like the giant.

If I do need the next size, do you reckon the lbs will buy it back for a reduced price seeing as its only done 100 miles?

Sorry for the ramble..just really paranoid now

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Hmmm, seatpost amount doesn't really matter, you want to be able to get your heel onto the pedal with the knee straight.

Try raising the bars a little, but tbh there are a lot of variables, i'd recommend going into your lbs and getting them to make sure it fits you properly...
  • zacca
    Heres the giant and the tarmac together:

dsc00164le1.th.jpg
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Hi,

You should have a slight bend in your knee when your foot is at its lowest position and if not it your knees will be locking out and your hips will be rolling from side to side which could be giving you back ache.

Tino
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    You can't compare 2 different manufacturers size for size - headtube height, top tube length atc all affect set up. The Tarmac is a more aggresive frame than the Giant - maybe a longer stem would help? Try switching the stems and see how you get on.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    IMO - you are probably between the two sizes and could have went either way - the benefit of going smaller is a lighter and (potentially) stiffer frame - the downside is that the headtube is shorter than the next size up.

I'd try raising your stem - and also perhaps a slightly longer stem - if necessary, flip it to raise the bars a little - I think this will make all the difference.
  • zacca
    You can't compare 2 different manufacturers size for size - headtube height, top tube length atc all affect set up. The Tarmac is a more aggresive frame than the Giant - maybe a longer stem would help? Try switching the stems and see how you get on.

Well Ive measure the topdtube of both and the tarmac is 56 and the giant is 55.5. The only thing, like I said was that the giant has a slightly longer stem... would 10mm really make a difference though?
    The Giant obviously has a more relaxed geometry, with a huge headtube compared to the tarmacs..again, possibly adding to the back ache?
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    This might be controversial, but I understand that some riders deliberately get frames that are 'too small' as they are lighter and potentially stiffer than the larger sizes - and with a compact frame 'standover' height is pretty meaningless. Don't let the stats and numbers confuse the issue - the facts are that your new bike is very similar in size to your old bike and if that was comfortable then it's probably more likely to be down to components. Your back soreness could easily be down to the saddle angle, height or shape disagreeing with you rather than anything more serious. Persevere and make small changes then ride with it and see how you feel. Give your back a break first and do some stretches and core exercises
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    HTFU, HTH.
  • gkerr4
    BUICK wrote:
    This might be controversial, but I understand that some riders deliberately get frames that are 'too small' as they are lighter and potentially stiffer than the larger sizes - and with a compact frame 'standover' height is pretty meaningless. Don't let the stats and numbers confuse the issue - the facts are that your new bike is very similar in size to your old bike and if that was comfortable then it's probably more likely to be down to components. Your back soreness could easily be down to the saddle angle, height or shape disagreeing with you rather than anything more serious. Persevere and make small changes then ride with it and see how you feel. Give your back a break first and do some stretches and core exercises

buick is spot on with this - small changes to stem, saddle etc and I'm sure you will have it cracked!
  • zacca
    I hope so, because a 58 would make the reach too much...

Its odd though, as the stem atm passes the hub/view test. If I add a longer stem will this be changed?
  • gkerr4
    i wouldn't worry about the stem view test - sounds like a load of crap - at the end of the day you need to make your bike comfy for you and if you can see the hub then great - if not -well it doesn't really matter.
  • dttlincs
    dttlincs Posts: 384
    I have also just got the same bike, also in a 56cm. I am slightly over 6' but same inside leg. 39 years old though!
    I was undecided on a 58cm or 56cm as I thought I was in between size IMO.
    I got a test ride on a 56cm in a LBS. After adjusting the bike to the measurements of my old bike, a 58cm Carerra Virtuoso, I went out on it for 30 to 40mins.
    I was conscious of getting a bike with too much reach as I have had to put a 80mm stem on my carrera along with the seat pushed forward a bit to get a comfortable fit. Bought this bike 5 years ago with little more than throwing a leg over it in a shop(mistake!). After putting my measurements into the tarmac it was OK even without flipping the stem upwards. As other posters have said try small adjustments. I have not ridden mine enough yet to know if the present position is the best I can get it, probably not but very close. The stem has 4 angles to chose from for a start.
    Good luck.
    Still thinking!
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    I would try to set the new bike position up exactly (plus minus a mm or so) the same as your old bike position (which apparently does not cause pain.)

You will need a tape measure, possibly a spirit level (long......) and maybe a plum bob. You may need some cash for new bits e.g. stem. Paper pencil, calculator. If you can't manage it yourself a competent bike fitter should be able to do it in a relatively short amount of time and consequently not charge you the earth.
    Good luck,
    Scherrit.
    www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    i ride a 56" tarmac.

im 5ft 11" and have an inside leg of 33", so im pretty similar to you.

IMO the 58 would be too big for me, even with a shorter stem on it.

my winter bike is a specialized allez, that is a 54" frame! now, this is really a bit too small, but i fitted a 125mm stem and hey presto, fits perfect!!!

i think a 56 would be fine for you, but thats going on what my experience is, everyone is different!!!

i dont think you have the "wrong" size bike. just needs tweaking here and there!!!

when i bought my TT bike i didnt like it at all. i thought it was way to small and was wondering if it was right. a few weeks later and those worries had gone! it just took some getting used too, it fits perfectly. i feel that might be what you need - time!!!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Hard to say from the photo but the saddle on the Spec seems to be a long way back. If both bikes pass the front hub test and the Spec has a shorter stem it would suport this. Having the saddle too far back can give back problems due to bending the hips too far. Try the knee over pedal spindle test.
    Also looking at the Giant saddle, it slopes forward so you could be sitting further forward on it.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878

I totally agree! Every size of every model of bike has a different geometry.

You should get yourself measured properly and go from there.