New Helmet?

zwoooosh
zwoooosh Posts: 18
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
There I was outside the door to my office, navigating slippery cobblestones and a badly parked van, when my rear wheel slipped out from under me and I found myself sliding along the ground until my helmet (rather than head) hit the curb. Nothing too serious and the main damage is a rather bruised ego. My helmet doesn't bear obvious damage apart from a bit of a scuff, but I hear that a helmet should be replaced after an impact. Any thoughts on whether I ought to replace (80 quid plus which after Christmas isn't a welcome thought) or just keep using it?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    It depends how hard it hit the kerb I guess - if it has scuffed the outer shell it may be worth replacing as there could be unseen damage.

What make is the helmet? A lot of manufacturers offer crash replacement subsidies
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • It's a Giro Pneumo... just done a google and found this... http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/giro/

Will explore... Thanks!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If it was not a big impact it may be OK. Check as much of the polystyrene as you can see for cracks. Check it to see if it flexes. Has the outer shell been deformed at all. If it passes inspection it probably is OK. In any case it will still help in the type of accident you just had. If you have any doubts after this then replace it.
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    Contact Giro - they do crash replacement at very good price. Had a Monza replaced a while back. Very good scheme