Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX tyres

13»

Comments

• aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    Really?? :(

Open Tubulars. An open tubular is a tubular tire whose edges have not been sewn together. Instead, a flexible bead of kevlar is sewn along the edges turning it into, if I may be allowed to mix up my definitions here for a second, a clincher that performs almost as well as a tubular. All the techniques of making the tubular; the high-thread-count unwoven casing and the cold-treated tread application are used in the manufacture of Open Tubulars. For this reason, a rider who is not willing to suffer the trouble of dealing with sew-up glue and the tricky job of repairing a flatted sew-up, the open tubular is a wonderful choice.

Almost everything that was written above about hand-made tubulars applies to open tubulars. Their high-thread-count casing makes them strong, while able to roll fast and resist punctures. The cold-treated tread application along with the fine casing give the tires a wonderful feel that must be experienced to understand.
  • Toonraid
    Toonraid Posts: 126
    Vredestein's Fortezza Tricomps are also great and easier to fit on to Campy wheels - I really like their cornering ability too and do get decent milage out of them but of course if durability and puncture resistance are your priority then you will have to head for training tyres such as Vredestein's Ricorsso or Vittoria Rubinho's - the best puncture resistant tyre I have used is Conti's ultra gatorskins but I just don't like the road feel you get from them which is a bit harsh.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    aarw wrote:
    Really?? :(

Open Tubulars. An open tubular is a tubular tire whose edges have not been sewn together. Instead, a flexible bead of kevlar is sewn along the edges turning it into, if I may be allowed to mix up my definitions here for a second, a clincher that performs almost as well as a tubular. All the techniques of making the tubular; the high-thread-count unwoven casing and the cold-treated tread application are used in the manufacture of Open Tubulars.

But they are still just TYRES at the end of the day - your contention is that they are not. An open tub is just a clincher tyre - irrespective of its composition. What defines a tubular is its tubular section - not its carcass.
  • Toonraid
    Toonraid Posts: 126
    There are lots of new terms created by the manufacturers marketing department which tend to confuse the consumers in general and now we have tubeless!