New XC forks required

Uzbek
Uzbek Posts: 486
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
My Fox Floats (which i never really liked) are dead, with stanchions that are badly abraded.

I want a 100mm XC fork, lightish, suitable for quite high mileage and lots of winter use. I weigh 75kg but i did find the Fox not to be the last word in stiffness.

My LBS (who I generally support) is offerring Rosck Shox (Reba Race or maybe the new Sidid) or Magura Durin.

Any thoughts/aternatives. Especially if you've ridden them!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The reba's are you best bet, ideally with the 20mm through axle for this year. You'll find them stiff!
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Agreed, 20mm = stiff! SID still a good, stiff QR fork though. Magura is also stiff but I have not heard anything else about them.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you dont really service your forks?

So Marzocchi is your best bet.

and you do not need a 20/15mm axled fork unless you are getting new wheels.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Uzbek
    Uzbek Posts: 486
    Ok I confess the forks did not get serviced but I do kinda look after them. I decided to get a service because they felt a bit grumbly and discovered the stanchion badly ridged in an arc that is almost completely hidden behind the crown. Wished i'd spotted it earlier....

The dealer was impressed though. Kudos for the 'worst I've ever seen' perhaps!

Marzochi not an option with my dealer.

Rebas with new through bolt system, how easy are they to change on the trail for a puncture?

Would need new hub and wheel rebuild too. Mind you never serviced the hubs yet either....

Magura's get good press but anyone actually using them??
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...
  • BlackSpur
    Uzbek wrote:
    Rebas with new through bolt system, how easy are they to change on the trail for a puncture?

Very
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    RS bolt throughs are excellent, like a hoooooooge fat qr, so you just unflip the lever, and then unscrew them and the axle slides out.

Mag's are supposed to be pretty good, very well controlled, stiff and light, but the review on the front page thinks they are a bit poo...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    not sure a light rider needs 20mm bolt thru on a 100mm xc fork.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Magura is also stiff but I have not heard anything else about them.
    Half the answer of that question is:
    When someone here says I need a new fork, what do we all recomend?
    - 70% Rock Shox and 20% Fox (for the 36 range moslty) and 10% Marzocchi ( this source is not reliable )
    So the guy ends up buying RS or Fox.
    And that's why nobody buys Magura because no one recomends it.
    And that's why we don't hear nothing about them.
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    supersonic wrote:
    not sure a light rider needs 20mm bolt thru on a 100mm xc fork.

Good call, Sonic.

At 75kg, the boy is not dead heavy, so a regular QR fork like the old Reba should be fine. They are quite a stiff fork also in 100mm length. I would think about a bolt through 100 mm for a jump bike, but not for regular xc.

A 20mm axle would also mean the extra expense of a new front wheel.
  • Have you tried the new Fox series II RLC 120 forks. Ive just brought the 2009 forks. They are super light, super stiff and super smooth aswell. I always usedto use Marzocchi or Rock Shox forks. I was persuaded by my local bike shop to try the Fox forks. Im glad I did as they are the best forks ive ever used by a mile.
  • What About Rock Shox SID's.. Any Of Them Are Great!!

Bit Steeply Priced Though.
    Handsome Dog Rockhound Custom Build.
    (Got Bored Of DMR)
    Roll On 24's People
  • Hi
    I've recently had magura durin 100mm put on and they are great very stiff and good response and feeling.
    give them a look i'm well happy with mine :D
  • I use the Reba 's and they are amazing --- i find them great!!!
    They are 100mm SL's..... I would definetely recommend them!!!
    Orange St4-Reba SL-FullXT
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    nicklouse wrote:
    So Marzocchi is your best bet.
    Xtreem wrote:
    - 70% Rock Shox and 20% Fox (for the 36 range moslty) and 10% Marzocchi ( this source is not reliable )

Controversial :lol:

Besides, 20% Fox?! Fox 32s are awesome! Love mine to bits. Most people are looking to spend as little money as possible though.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    I'm running 100mm Rockshox Reba Team's Dual Air on my Spesh' - lovely light fork, good damping and nicely "tuneable" as they're air. Plus they have the pop-loc which is handy if you're doing any road riding.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Ive got the Reba SLs, only been out on them about 3 times so far but they are really impressive. Might need as little more tuning to get the best out of them.

As has been said, I dont think you can go wrong with Rebas.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Controversial :lol:

Besides, 20% Fox?! Fox 32s are awesome! Love mine to bits. Most people are looking to spend as little money as possible though.
    I just splash it. Not reliable at all. :lol:
    But still, above 50% of the members here have a bike with a Rock Shox fork.
    The only minus I find at the Foxes is their price. :)
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Most marzocchi are supposed to need very little maintenance which is what he meant originally I think. Saying that I've heard bad things about the 55s and I'd assume the shorter travel 44s etc are the same/similar internals.
  • eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    Pace RC-41 C-type from flebay , cheapest lightest stifest 100mm forks

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... Forks_2007
  • price vs. weight, you can't go past manitou. their 2007 line was dodgy, but Hayes took over in 2008. some of the 2008 line was well made (anything MRD is awesome), but the 2009 line should be totally awesome.

there are some low end 2009 manitous out already, but i would wait a bit if possible - the new full line should be out soon i think.

anything short of SIDs is not going to compare to manitous, in terms of weight... r7 MRD absolutes actually weight less than SIDs and are a fraction of the price!
  • BlackSpur
    echosystm wrote:
    anything short of SIDs is not going to compare to manitous, in terms of weight... r7 MRD absolutes actually weight less than SIDs and are a fraction of the price!

ah, but are they as stiff?