Upgrading my Trek8500 - need inputs!!

beecho
beecho Posts: 6
edited January 2009 in XC and Enduro
Hi guys, Im on my Trek 8500 2004 series.
Everything is on stock, but since its a old bike, i thought of changing some parts, and maybe since im changing, i might as well get some good light parts.

So need you gurus to help me out here.

Fork: Fox Float RL, 80mm travel
Handlebar: Bontrager Race Lite
Stem: Bontrager Race lite
Crank: Bontrager Race Lite
Brakeset: Shimano Deore XT M765 hydraulic disc brakes, Shimano Deore XT M756 hydraulic levers
Shift Levers: Shimano Deore XT RapidFire SL
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT SGS
Pedals: Shimano: PD-M520 SPD
Bottom Bracket: Unspecified
BB Shell Width: Unspecified
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
Chain: 1/2 x 3/32"
Seatpost: Bontrager Race
Saddle: Bontrager FS 2000
Handlebar: Bontrager Race Lite
Hubs: Bontrager Race Disc
Rims: Bontrager Race Disc, 24-hole/28-hole
Tires : 26 x 2.10" Bontrager Revolt Super X
Spoke Brand: Stainless steel, straight gauge
Spoke Nipples: Unspecified

One of the things that i need changed is my pedals, i feel like changing to some platforms for the time being, so looking for some light, grippy platforms.
Im 55kg, 1.75m, do mainly trails and XC.

So.. help please, on wat to get? I got a $600 budget for now.

Comments

• I would get some dmr v8s or Crank Bros 50.50 xx pedals
    And mabye get some hope hoops, pro 2 hubs with dt rims.
    Also if you have any spare money after that i would mabye upgrade the derraliers to shimano slx.
    Hope this helps
    Pain is Temporary,
    Failure lasts for ever!
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Wellgo MG1 - £28 from highonbikes on ebay - mine dispatched today :)

You can also get Ti spindled ones from overseas - but £70ish inc postage but does make the sub 300 grams a pair!

Wheels: Hope SPXC3 - mine should also have been dispatched today!

Very light with 3-bolt rotor included.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is a light, evenly and well specced bike. No obvious lard which makes big savings expensive. What is the cassette though? Can be big variations here.

Weigh the tyres an compare to what is available now. Same with all the Bonty kit if you can.

Wheels, Fork, gears are all good kit. Brakes are above average weight. There are lighter pedals, the MG1 flats are as light as they come, but look at Time and Crtank Brows for clipless.
  • beecho
    its a XT cassette too.
    hmmm... just changed my pedals to Wellgo Mg1 today thanks to you guys recommendations :)

now.. wats next? Wheels? should i go down the tubeless route or make a mavic 717 rim+ Hope 2 pro hub kinda wheel?
  • beecho wrote:
    its a XT cassette too.
    hmmm... just changed my pedals to Wellgo Mg1 today thanks to you guys recommendations :)

now.. wats next? Wheels? should i go down the tubeless route or make a mavic 717 rim+ Hope 2 pro hub kinda wheel?

Not sure how much the Bontrager Race wheels are but Hope Pro 2 with 717 will be approx 1800g the pair and £250 once you add in skewers.You need to know the weight of your current wheelset to know if thats worth doing.I`m guessing they will be sub 2kg.
    How much do you want to spend?
    If you want to go light look at something like Stans Olympic or ZTR rims,with DT superlock spokes (or as you are a light weight DT Revolution spokes) and Hope Pro 2 for around £400 and 1600g.Run them tubeless and you might save a little more.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    For light weight - I have some Hope SP XC3 wheels which are v.light - can't wait for them to arrive - another 2 days apparently...

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... lset-32181

Got them for £276 in stiff's pre xmas sale :)
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Depending on your normal riding conditions, tyres and wheels, the super revolts are fast rolling and okay for dry conditions but abit of a lottery in the wet, so you could upgrade to some conti mountain kings or supersonics. Also if you upgrade the wheels you'll notice a large difference in the agility of the bike.
  • beecho
    i been doing abit of research on wheelsets, and i have heard of ppl not having good impressions of the ZTRs olympics even though they are of the same weight as me?
    Are there some issues with the ZTR olympic thats im suppose to know??

And theres the hub, read that DT 240 Hub is a rather good hub as well, that it can spin on and on and on. So how does it compare to the Hope 2 pro? Asking since its a little lighter than the H2P?

and yeah they are all for XC trails purpose..!
  • stuartg
    stuartg Posts: 20
    One thing I changed on a Trek 6700 was the seat post. Went for a Thompson 400mm aluminium one. Absolutely fantastic. Longer and less than half the weight of the Bonty that it replaced.
    EX8 Rules