muddy bike

2»

Comments

• Chevie
    Chevie Posts: 71
    Sorry idiot again. LBS???
  • blades
    blades Posts: 9
    Here's my routine after many years of cleaning MX and enduro bikes, and now MTB's

Hose as much mud etc off as possible (not pressure washer, as mentioned, to protect the bearings behind seals) on both sides and then upside down, maybe using a soft brush as well. Use a soft brush sprayed with a cleaner like Pro Clean, Muc Off etc, or for a cheaper option use TFR (Truck Wash, available from all good motor factors, use well diluted), brush the frame, cranks, bars etc to remove all stubon stains. Give chain and gears a liberal spray with cleaner to remove old oil and crud. Wash off bike again with hose and give chain and gears a good hosing, and dry bike with old towel or some simular. Spray chain and gears with WD40 to remove water. If required now is a good time to lube cables etc. Wipe fork and rear shock tubes to remove any residual small mud pits, as these if left are what kill the seals. Ride bike up the street with brakes on to dry them out, and if required spray and wipe with clean rag discs with Car Brake and Clutch cleaner. Now give the chain and gears a nice dose of chain lube and ready for next ride :D
    Cheers Steve
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    Chevie wrote:
    Sorry idiot again. LBS???

(local bike shop)

I'm also intrigued by generally spraying with WD40. Is it worth it? WD is not cheap and I always get the feeling that it will murder any creepy crawlies who walk on any missed spray.
  • Chevie
    blades wrote:
    Now give the chain and gears a nice dose of chain lube and ready for next ride :D

What lube do you recomend?

I always thought GT85 was a good lube, take it that once again i've just proven i know nothing!
  • blades
    blades Posts: 9
    I wouldn't get hung up about "whats best" personaly, plenty of good stuff out there, and that GT85 is probably fine. As it's the only thing I've got to hand I use the same as what I put on the MX bike chains, Putoline DX, probably too heavy really, but does the job and I'm not racing, just riding for fun and fitness.
  • Am I missing something. My bike is gleaming after a wee wash down with a hose and brush, a quick lube on the chain and a spray with Scotoil 365. can't praise the stuff enough!!! The sh1t just falls off the bike after a couple of wash/ spray cycles. Maybe Im just lazy OR maybe her indoors goes spare when I spend too much time cycling / cleaning / lubing / overloading the washing machine / surfing for bikey things to buy (to make me a cycling God) so I tend to minimise her anger to ensure a peaceful, harmonious, after trail cool down. SCOTOIL F365 it's the future!!!!
    Peace
    Tall n skinny
  • Chevie
    So you use SCOTOIL F365 for the chain gears brakes etc etc and then coat the bike in the stuff as well?

I got some motorbike scotoil for the scottoiler i had on it, is that gunna be way to think for MTB lube?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    FS365 is top stuff, I used to use it on my motorbike til I discovered ACF50... But FS365 would be better for bikes. It's ace, stops the much from getting properly stuck to things. I've never used it on the mountain bike though, I'll give it a shot.

Scottoiler chain oil is probably too thin for mountain bike chain use, unless you have a bike scottoiler of course! It's basically just chainsaw oil, very light and non-sticky so it comes off very easily. It'll lube very well for as long as it lasts, which probably won't be very long.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Chevie
    I've tried googling SCOTOIL F365 but dont come up with anything, any chance one of you guys could pop us a link of where i could buy some from please?

Am liking the sound of the mud/sheep sh1t not sticking like superglue an easier to get off after a ride

Cheers guys
  • Northwind
    It's called FS365.

http://www.scottoiler.com/FS365-Protector.asp

Easily bought over the counter at Hein Gericke branches, they'll all carry it this time of year.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DONT SPRAY SCOTTOIL F365 on yer rotors!!!

The suff dries on leaving a film of filth repellant and anti corrosion goodness. get it from hein Gerricke or good motorcycle accesories shops. About £7 for 1 litre (5 litre refills cheaper). Lasts ages and does gearing, cables, levers and everything. BRILLIANT
    Tall n skinny
  • Oh and its a fine spray for us lazy sorts.
    Tall n skinny
  • Chevie
    Tallchap1 wrote:
    DONT SPRAY SCOTTOIL F365 on yer rotors!!

Sorry but rotors?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Chevie wrote:
    Sorry but rotors?
    Wiggle - Disc Brake Rotors

Merlin - A Disk Brake Rotor

^^ One o' them. :shock:
  • blister pus
    If you get crap on them, give em a quick wipe down with Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a soft lint cloth, or use those alcohol swabs you can get in packets.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    edited January 2009
    Chevie wrote:
    blades wrote:
    Now give the chain and gears a nice dose of chain lube and ready for next ride :D

I always thought GT85 was a good lube, take it that once again i've just proven i know nothing!
    GT85 and WD40 are not lubes and shouldn`t be used on a chain except for cleaning before relubing.Using that as a lube is worse than using nothing,I think.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • AndyBike
    AndyBike Posts: 126
    And they recommend you squirt it directly onto the bike with their squirty bottle, most of it ends up on the floor.

I read in one of the mags that washing Liq. is alkaline and can dull the paintwork. Hardly matters with the abuse most bikes take anyway.

and I wonder if E-Cover washing liquid is better, its about £1.70 a bottle though.
  • Chevie
    antfly wrote:
    Chevie wrote:
    blades wrote:

GT85 and WD40 are not lubes and shouldn`t be used on a chain except for cleaning before relubing.Using that as a lube is worth than using nothing,I think.

Rite so basically i gotta go get some SCOTOIL FS 365 Protector Spray to lube my chain an spray on my bike then jus use my GT85 to dispurse the water from gears an chain etc etc?
  • blister pus
    Chevie wrote:
    Rite so basically i gotta go get some SCOTOIL FS 365 Protector Spray to lube my chain an spray on my bike then jus use my GT85 to dispurse the water from gears an chain etc etc?
    No. You put chain lube / oil on the chain, stuff like: Finish Line Wet for wet wintry conditions, or Finish Line Dry for dry summery weather.
  • Chevie
    I cant help but laugh cos there are so many people saying one thing an so many saying another,

So i'll get some FINISH LINE WET for the chain gears etc etc and SCOTOIL FS 365 for the frame so the next time i go out it'll be easier to clean?

Who would have thought it could be this hard to clean an look after a push bike. LOL

My motorbike was easier to look after an that was a 150mph machine
  • blister pus
    There is no confusion.

You use a chain lube or oil on your chain.

You use a cleaning product to clean the bike.

You use GT85 to drive water out, stop a squeak, etc.
  • Chevie
    Excellent, cheers for putting it into english for me
  • Northwind
    GT85 is a PTFE lube. It's not a suitable chain lube, but it's just wrong to say it's not a lubricant. Don't try and make this simpler than it is or it jjust stops making sense. Water is a lubricant, as anyone who's ever fallen on ice knows, you just don't try and use it to lubricate a chain, any more than you'd use chain lubricant in a wheel bearing or bearing grease in a mech.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Chevie
    I just been out an bought some Finish Line Wet for the chain but what can i get to keep gears, cassettes an mech's lubed?

Think i'll take everyones advice an just use fairy to clean the bike tho,

Muc-off aint cheap!
  • The best way to wash your bike is simply with soap and water!!!!

The liquids are gimiks and are not worth the high Price!!
    Orange St4-Reba SL-FullXT
  • blister pus
    Chevie wrote:
    but what can i get to keep gears, cassettes an mech's lubed?!
    It's a double edged sword using GT85 liberally on the cassette and mechs, as the protective film it leaves behind attracts the fine dirt and grit you're trying to get rid of. I find it better to wash the bike down using a light soapy suds and water solution, rinsing off with water and drying thoroughly and using a clean brush to get any dirt and grit out of the remaining awkward places (there shouldn't be any really).

Just remember whatever you want lubed, lube it and take the excess off because as soon as you hit the road or trail the grit sticks. You'll work out what suits you as you go along. The more you go out the more you get into a cleaning routine when you get back, the quicker you figure out what works for you. The quicker you get a feel for when something really does needs lubing too.

That's been my experience so far anyway.
  • Chevie
    Found this, it explains why WD40 aint so good an am guesing GT85 is the same

Watch the vid http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/