Signature propagation

ColinJ
ColinJ Posts: 2,218
Hi.

I changed my signature line last night to point to my new personal weight loss/fitness blog and I've discovered that it appears in some of my old posts, but not all of them.

I assumed that either all posts would display the current signature, or all posts would display the signature which was in place at the time that the post was made. It doesn't seem to working either way at the moment.

It seems to me that the forum software should always add the current signature when displaying current or old posts because otherwise the post archive will gradually become full of signature lines with broken links in them.

What's going on?

ColinJ

PS I can see that the signature is working for new posts such as this one :wink:

Comments

• ColinJ
    I just had a thought... In the past, there were times when I had a signature line, and times when I didn't. If old posts are stored with a flag that signifies '(s)he had a signature line when (s)he posted this, so display the current signature whenever this post is displayed' - that might explain the behaviour.

Whatever the case actually is, I think that the current signature (if there is one) should always be added whenever a forum member's posts are shown.
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Interesting, I have added a signature to and its not showing either?
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    BTBR wrote:
    Interesting, I have added a signature to and its not showing either?

Dam......don't you just hate it when that happens. :oops:
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you have turned it off in your profile that may have been reset when you deleted the cookies.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ColinJ
    nicklouse wrote:
    if you have turned it off in your profile that may have been reset when you deleted the cookies.
    :?:

So, how are the signatures supposed to work? I find that my hundreds of old posts seemingly randomly have my new signature or not.

I still think that all posts should show the current signature. If a link in the signature becomes out of date, changing the link in the current signature should be all one has to do to fix it.