I agree with Jeremy Clarkson on one thing

blackworx
blackworx Posts: 123
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
As much as I despise such divisive stereotyping (ha!) it does seem that Audi drivers are in fact the new BMW drivers.

This morning I was separately tailgated, passed with inches to spare and finally left hooked by 3 different flash new Audis.

So if you or anyone you know is thinking of buying one: don't do it kids - it may very well turn you into a c0ck on four wheels.
Trek XO1
FCN4

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Simon le Bon has just bought one of the flash sporty Audis - but he was very kind and patiently waited for me when he needed to get in his drive the other day.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Name dropping is not big and it's not clever, Blondie - now on yer bike :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • blackworx
    If I'd been asked to hazard a guess at the first three words of reply to that post, "Simon Le Bon" would have been very close to the bottom of that list! :lol:
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    biondino wrote:
    Simon le Bon has just bought one of the flash sporty Audis - but he was very kind and patiently waited for me when he needed to get in his drive the other day.

Dude...have you started stalking people again? Tsh, just 7 days into the New Year and you've broken your resolution already :x
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Don't be too sure. I was driving in this morning. At a roundabout the Beemer in front of me moved to the left lane, clearly marked as a left-only filter, as we approached the roundabout. I took the correct option for me and used the right-hand lane lane which goes straight on or right, only for BMW man to decide that he was going s/o after all, so we ended up both aiming for the same road space. His response? A load of silent abuse directed my way for daring to be in the right lane in the right bit of road. It's not hard is it? A huge white arrow on the road pointing left on the left lane should be enough for most people.

Personally I don't go for the 'All <insert car of choice here> drivers are dimwits' school of thought. It just seems to me that a huge number don't know the highway code, or don't think it applies to them.
  • biondino
    Says the man who thinks it's fine to RLJ!!
  • It seems there may be a competition going on, the Audi drivers are trying to steal the driving like a prat crown, the BMW lot have just realised what's going on and are retaliating...

Oh and I agree with Jeremy Clarkson on lots of things.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Me too. His Times column is always a good read.
  • CiB
    biondino wrote:
    Says the man who thinks it's fine to RLJ!!

In full - it's safe to RLJ in the middle of nowhere IF there's no-one around AND it's safe so to do. How hard is that for you to understand? When I was in town last week, it never occurred to me to RLJ.

That's not the same as some oik in a BM polling off to the left filter lane, then getting all shirty at me for being in the right place and giving me a face full of abuse.. Jeez - some people...
  • mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136

JC is an obnoxious prat and quite possibly personally responsible for ending human civilisation. Just wait and see.

He is funny tho'.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    mcmullej wrote:

JC is an obnoxious prat and quite possibly personally responsible for ending human civilisation. Just wait and see.

He is funny tho'.
    You're making the common mistake of falling for the JC character. He's quite good at playing it though, I must admit.
  • biondino
    Chris, I know what you're saying and was just joshing with you :)
  • jweston
    jweston Posts: 37
    I used to have an Audi A3:

The air bag system failed and had to be replaced.
    The engine cooling fan system had to be replaced.
    The cabin fans failed and had to be replaced.
    The ABS system failed and had to be replaced.
    The CAM belt tensioner went before time and had to be replaced.
    The steering rack went loose and had to be replaced.

It's no wonder Audi drivers are so ill tempered. They're all wishing they'd gone with their instinct and bought BMWs. I got out of the rat race and drive a Citroen Berlingo, usually accessorised with a bike on the back. I believe Clarkson likes Berlingos?
    ~Jessica
    Astounding Adventures
    Hill Walking - Mountain Biking - Climbing - Team Building
    http://www.astoundingadventures.co.uk
    Call free: 0333 121 2125
  • CiB
    biondino wrote:
    Chris, I know what you're saying and was just joshing with you :)

Oh - sorry. sense of humour failure on my part there. Whoops.

• Oh and I agree with Jeremy Clarkson on lots of things.

+1, they're brilliant. The archive of them on timesonline wasted a lot of my time when I found it...
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    mcmullej wrote:

He is funny tho'.

So we'll all die laughing. :twisted:
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965

Yes, but its panto - you aren't SUPPOSED to agree. He doesn't even agree with the things he says. Some of his best friends are Welsh.
  • blackworx
    @ChrisInBicester

Agreed, Beemer drivers are still just as bad, and it's not as if every other driver on the road is automatically a saint in comparison. It's just that flash new Audis seem to be all the rage as thrusting young executive ego wagons just now and (certainly round here over the last couple of years) there's been more and more of them on the roads, apparently driven by folk who think playing WipeOut is good practice for everyday road skills.

And I don't care what anyone says - in my experience the flashier/sportier the car, the more likely the driver is to act like a c0ck. So while I don't subscribe to the "all <insert name of car> drivers are rubbish" school of thought, I certainly subscribe to the notion that certain types of driver are much more likely to be driving certain types of car.
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If there wasn't this stifling culture where some take themselves so seriously Jeremy Clarkson wouldn't be needed. But he is and he is brilliant and incredibly funny.

Greg66 drives an Audi, just saying is all..... :lol:

Its one of the biggest Audi's of them all as well..... just stoking the fire is all..... :twisted:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Note to ChrisinBicester :

I firmly believe that if any driver knowingly disobeys the rules of the road – as in your said case – its fair game to follow the offender and when they stop (and it’s safe to do so without endangering other motorists/ cyclists/ pedestrians/ and possibly Audi drivers although I really wouldn’t worry too much about them) beat the said offender within an inch of their lives. You would then have the right to have the offender banned from driving for life, and be allowed to sell his car and keep any proceeds as a reward for the good work achieved. 
    Clearly the offender in this case was fully aware he was in the wrong, and this somewhat course method should only be applied in such events. If it was a genuine mistake then he would have noticed this whilst in the left lane, and indicated to move over – also by way of courtesy he would have looked over and made eye contact with the driver to his right who being a reasonable and responsible person would have realised the driver had made a simple error and allowed him to pull in front. The manoeuvre would have ended with a simple friendly wave and not two fingers and increased blood pressure meaning no one would have arrived at work in a foul mood.

Who’s with me on this one?
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202

I firmly believe that if any driver knowingly disobeys the rules of the road – as in your said case – its fair game to follow the offender and when they stop (and it’s safe to do so without endangering other motorists/ cyclists/ pedestrians/ and possibly Audi drivers although I really wouldn’t worry too much about them) beat the said offender within an inch of their lives. You would then have the right to have the offender banned from driving for life, and be allowed to sell his car and keep any proceeds as a reward for the good work achieved. 
    Clearly the offender in this case was fully aware he was in the wrong, and this somewhat course method should only be applied in such events. If it was a genuine mistake then he would have noticed this whilst in the left lane, and indicated to move over – also by way of courtesy he would have looked over and made eye contact with the driver to his right who being a reasonable and responsible person would have realised the driver had made a simple error and allowed him to pull in front. The manoeuvre would have ended with a simple friendly wave and not two fingers and increased blood pressure meaning no one would have arrived at work in a foul mood.

2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • most of my scary moments recently have involved buses. It used to be vans but now it's buses. Now, I watch them like a hawk. Not impressed.

btw - I drive a Discovery and I know all LR drivers are perfect so just be careful!!!

David
  • turbodog
    turbodog Posts: 246
    it is so true...I am a beemer driver and totally hate Audi... They will never be king of British roads!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    blackworx wrote:
    And I don't care what anyone says - in my experience the flashier/sportier the car, the more likely the driver is to act like a c0ck. So while I don't subscribe to the "all <insert name of car> drivers are rubbish" school of thought, I certainly subscribe to the notion that certain types of driver are much more likely to be driving certain types of car.

This is true! So very true. My Dad has treated himself to a BMW 5 series 3ltr sport. I may invent 'inertial dampers' so that when he accelrates my Mum's and Brothers eyeballs are not forced further back into their skull.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • blackworx
    Oh, and +1 for planet with Jezza vs planet without :D
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • si. d
    si. d Posts: 52
    I have to agree with the Audi drivers ruling. I was passed by an un-marked police Audi yesterday evening, at speed, lights and siren going, with about an inch to spare.

Also to further add weight to the claim: "Traffic cops" on TV the other night (always a good laugh), an Audi driver got a severe telling off from a police man on a motorbike for driving like an idiot.
    FCN- 4 with Laser designator sights
  • CiB
    BenS999 wrote:

Not me. We all make mistakes from time to time; best is to acknowledge the error and move on. I didn't mind one jot that Mr BM had got himself in the wrong lane - it's a common mistake there; I was half-expecting it and let him go anyway - but his reaction made him look like a twonk tbh. That's the issue. Audi / BM / Volvo / Ford / Wartburg et al drivers are all as likely to be in the wrong place, fail to indicate their intentions, drive around with sidelights on, use their fogs when it hasn't been foggy for days, drive at 35 in a NSL, dither at junctions, pull out when not safe, tailgate, park in disabled or parent + toddler bays, and wear driving gloves. They can do this all they like as far as I care, but when they do, I'd rather they didn't react as if it's somehow my fault for being on the receiving end of their incorrect decision and therefore due a dose of aggression from the offending numpty. If you get something wrong, live with it. Don't give me a face full of abuse just cos I happened to be the one who was affected in some minor way by it.

Ban em & string em up? Nah - smile & wave. It throws them a bit.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    It's the Audis that have caught my attention this week, but an increase in the number of scooters that are being driven by complete choppers. Has this bus lane thing or the cold air gone to their empty heads? They'll be mounting the pavements next.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'm glad someone mentioned Audis. Has anyone seen that new Q5 telly ad with the cardboard box and quite annoying tune? I made that, and can assure everyone that the scribbly guy is definitely a c0ck. Have you seen the way he does his hair in the mirror, the pillock.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I don't get the paper Jezza writes in but i've read a couple of the compilation books, "And Another Thing" and whatever the other one's called. I laughed my head off all the way through. More people need to tell things like they are, like he does.

EDIT: The World According To Clarkson. That's the other one.